“Good Tex-Mex”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2014

Awesome outdoors seating, good food and unless you get certain waitstaff, a little slow on the service. All in all a very good bang for the buck

There are newer reviews for Gringo Jack's

Reviewed September 2, 2014

Busy, at times noisy restaurant with consistently attentive staff and excellent Mexican food every time. The food is properly spicy; the chips and salsa require plenty of water, and the atmosphere is pleasant. On the pricey side.

Reviewed September 1, 2014

Food was great and the service prompt and attentive once we sat down. There was a long wait when we arrived, it would have been nice if there was a place for folks to sit and wait and maybe have a basket of chips and salsa. Other then that it was a lovely night.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

I went to this restaurant last week; we were a party of 6. We started with the homemade guacamole. I told the waitress that I couldn't eat the peppers and raw onions so please bring them on the side so the other people at the table could mix them in. Her reply was "that is what guacamole is made of" I corrected her to that it also has avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, salt and pepper, all of which I can eat. "Oh yeah", she replied. I also told her I needed gluten free chips (which they advertise that they have). She told me they have corn chips and flour chips, so I asked for a basket of the corn chips. Her reply, "Well, they are all mixed in so I would literally have to touch each one of your chips to pick out the corn chips". SERIOUSLY….did she just say that to me???? I replied, don't you have them separated in the kitchen? "NO" is her reply.
Then we get to what I can order….turns out the only thing she says I can eat is Haddock and steamed veggies, reluctantly, I agree. It was HORRIBLE!!! Who goes to a Mexican restaurant and gets a bland piece of fish (which they didn't even put salt and pepper on it, as she so told me!! By now you are thinking, well this person just is picky…. not so. At home, we go to a Mexican restaurant every week and they accommodate me very well. Also, as a side note, two of the other people in our party ordered regular meals and they were made WRONG!
The service of Gringo Jacks is DEPLORABLE in that they don't accommodate people's dietary needs and that waitress was rude and annoyed by EVERYTHING!! I suggest that Gringo Jack's get up with the times to realize that not everyone can order exactly off the menu as well as train your staff to be more friendly and accommodating as well.

GringoJacks, COO/CMO at Gringo Jack's, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2014

Oh my goodness, Linda - I am so sorry you did not have a good time. We have recently instilled a zero tolerance policy for poor service and I was all ready to root out the problem and see how I could fix this for you.
However, there were 2 things that made me curious. 1) we are actually KNOWN for our tolerance of food allergies and dietary needs! We even have symbols for all our gluten free items as well as our vegan items. We happily accommodate food allergies and dietary needs on a daily basis and our servers are well trained in our food. And 2) your party was served by one of our more celebrated and requested servers of years!
Owing it to this server, I thought it fair to ask her what happened (there was no way any of us could imagine Sarah behaving so poorly!). Turns out, the story was very different!
- Sarah explained that she could make a guacamole without the peppers and onions since you couldn't eat peppers or onions. This was after you ordered the guacamole without saying anything about the onions or peppers - despite the menu describing each ingredient in our freshly made guacamole. She remade the guacamole for you.
- As to the chips, our menu explains that the chips have both corn and flour. They are fried together and therefore not recommended for celiacs. Therefore, they are not listed on our gluten-free menu and we DON'T advertise that we have gluten free chips. Sarah tried to explain that the corn chips are not truly gluten free since they are fried and stored with the flour chips. You asked Sarah to separate them and she explained she would have to pick them out so you would understand they might contain gluten. You still wanted the chips, so she picked them out for you and brought you a basket of corn chips.
- The reason Sarah recommended the fish is because you can't have garlic, peppers, onions or wheat. Originally you wanted the chicken fajitas which Sarah mentioned has garlic. You asked to have the chicken prepared without garlic and Sarah told you the chicken is marinated in garlic, lime juice and cilantro - the garlic is ALREADY in the chicken. You settled on the fish and ASKED FOR NO SEASONING. Hence, the fish was bland. Normally, our fish is chile dusted and we season everything with salt and pepper. If you later decided that you indeed did want seasoning, salt and pepper is right on the table. We certainly had other options and Sarah tried to point out those options. There were issues with each option she tried to offer.
- The two people that ordered "regular" meals were not wrong as ordered. One person ordered a plain quesadilla. A plain quesadille means cheese inside with no sour cream or pico on top and nothing else in it. Turns out, the person wanted chicken in it, but did not order chicken. Sarah brought out a chicken quesadilla and discounted it from the check!
The other person ordered a burrito with no toppings. She got the burrito with no guacamole, pico or sour cream on top. Turns out, no toppings also meant no beans or rice INSIDE the burrito. Really the person just wanted a steak quesadilla, NOT a burrito which has rice and beans inside. Again, Sarah discounted that off the check as well. It is our policy - even if the mistake is NOT ours as in this case, we go out of our way to make sure our guests are happy.
Sarah thought everyone was happy since, at the end of your evening you were all laughing and joking with her and her tip was 20% on the check.
The service is NOT deplorable as you have said and we are ALWAYS happy to meet people's dietary needs. We are actually ahead of the times with symbols on our menu for vegetarians and vegans, gluten free options and instructions right on our menu for making something gluten free. We were doing these things several years before it became hip.
Sarah is not only not rude, but one of our most congenial, happy and professional servers. We love her and so do our guests.
Normally, I would NEVER respond to a review with any negativity. However, when it is so obvious that blatant unfairness and incorrect criticism is out there for all to see, I feel I owe it to our wonderful service staff that we can at least explain what really went down.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience and that we can not match your Mexican restaurant in your town. Obviously, we are not the place for you and accept that we can not make everyone happy. We're just grateful to the thousands of people we do work hard to make happy!
Peace. Gringo Jack's

Reviewed August 22, 2014

My wife and I went on our honeymoon in southern Vermont and got lunch at Gringo Jack's one of the days. The enchiladas were very good, as well as any kind of tacos. Our one complaint would be no free refills on anything besides water.