“Back for a second time!”

Backroad Discovery Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This tour is an Editors' pick for Yankee Travel Magazine. If you have only a couple of days in the area, this tour is a must. Our 4-seasons "Southern Vermont Sampler Tour" will help you discover the region's best-kept secrets while exploring the Vermont backroads. During each season, there are many fascinating stops along the way. Our local guide will entertain you with fun facts, history & local lore. Discover why Vermont is called, "The State of Mind!" $35pp. Advance reservations are necessary(limited to 8-11 passengers). Email or call for dates/times/details/reservations.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator
Phoenix, AZ
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Back for a second time!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I brought my husband along this time, his first and my second on this tour. It was exactly the same but just as wonderful as before. It felt a bit like an out of town visit to family. Sharon has a talent for remembering names and making you feel welcome. She has a great love for the state of Vermont and you will love it too after this tour.

Visited August 2013

Kendall Park, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“THREE ENJOYABLE HOURS”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Our tour was both enjoyable and informative.Not boring at all.We learned a lot of local history & information ,that we would have never been told about.It gave us a feeling and understanding for Vermont.

Visited August 2013
Summit, New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Tour”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We enjoyed our tour very much. It was unique, interesting, enjoyable, and informative. You have an idea of places we visited from the previous posts so I won't mention them again, but Sharon does a fantastic job bringing everyone into the conversations and involved in the tour. Would like to take Civil war tour next time we visit VT.

Visited July 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Backroad tour was fantastic”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

If you want a personal tour of the things you WON'T see by yourself visiting Vermont, make sure you sign up for this! They do a great job taking you around the area and you get to see things off the beaten path. Interesting sites, parks, an abandoned quarry, and a whole lot of history of the area. Absolutely worth it, great way to see things and make new friends! Sharon was a great guide and our family enjoyed the stories and her hospitality. Don't miss this on your trip to Vermont!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank andrewziegele
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not our style”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I want to be fair to the nice person who runs the 'Backroad Discovery Tours', so I'll say that I think this just wasn't our style. She took us to several spots that we probably wouldn't have seen. So, for instance, we visited a marble quarry. We visited an alpaca farm. We visited a rural convenience store. We visited some random local places that probably aren't typically visited by tourists. For me, this was not very exciting, and it felt very much like something we could have done without her guidance. It didn't feel much like a tour to me. I didn't find the destinations to be especially exciting or worth the visit. I depend on TripAdvisor for good, honest advice. If you're familiar with Seinfeld, this tour was analogous to the Peterman Reality Tour that Kramer hosts in NYC. For some, that kind of thing may be appealing. Based on the other reviews, I suppose a lot of folks really like this. It's just not our style.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Regional_Travel
bckrddisc, Owner at Backroad Discovery Tours, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Our Southern Vermont Sampler Tour is designed to take people into the backroads and explore all of the unique places along the way. You are right; this can not interesting for everyone. The weather also plays a big role in making or breaking a fun afternoon; our on-again, off-again rainy day, didn't add to the allure of rural Vermont!
Manchester & surrounds is such a wonderful place; I hope you will come back again and again. Other activities you may enjoy would be The Revolutionary/Civil War tour in Bennington County (by Backroad Discovery Tours), The Bromley Thrill Zone & Alpine Slide, Mountain Biking down Stratton Mountain, taking the Land Rover off-road Driving Course, or trying the lessons at the British School of Falconry.