“Fantastic Tour!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Backroad Discovery Tours

Backroad Discovery Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: This tour is an Editors' pick for Yankee Travel Magazine. If you have only a couple of days in the area, this tour is a must. Our 4-seasons "Southern Vermont Sampler Tour" will help you discover the region's best-kept secrets while exploring the Vermont backroads. During each season, there are many fascinating stops along the way. Our local guide will entertain you with fun facts, history & local lore. Discover why Vermont is called, "The State of Mind!" $35pp. Advance reservations are necessary(limited to 8-11 passengers). Email or call for dates/times/details/reservations.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Grand Rapids, MI
233 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 297 helpful votes
“Fantastic Tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I can’t say enough great things about the fall tour we took. Seeing that the tours were limited to eight people, we booked this several months in advance. Sharon was the nicest woman; her love, passion and knowledge of Vermont (and especially the Green Mountains) are apparent throughout the trip. She didn’t pause for even a second when answering any of our group’s many questions. We made about 6 - 8 stops, some just for a brief visit, and some where we could stay for a while. There was walking involved, but nothing strenuous. It was great to see so many places that we wouldn’t/couldn’t have visited on our own and it really made us feel like we got up close and personal with the Green Mountains. We took our 4 yo (Sharon does have a child rate) and he thoroughly enjoyed himself. Sharon went out of her way to make sure he felt included. Our tour lasted just over the three hours that was planned. We used every minute! We found the price to be very reasonable and we wouldn’t hesitate to take another of Sharon’s tours if we are ever in SE VT again.

Visited September 2012

New Orleans, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better than I even expected (and I went in with high expectations!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I escaped NYC for a weekend upstate in Hudson Valley and Vermont. We booked this tour on the fly--having no knowledge of the landscape or layout of Vermont (neither one of us had spent time there before). What I expected to be a somewhat quirky and unexpected way to fill a day of our trip turned out to be the highlight of our entire weekend! Sharon is very down to earth and easy-going. Automatically we were in a fun group filled with great conversation as well as a lively account of Vermont past and present. She really does take you off the beaten path--I think most of the roads we drove on were unpaved. I definitely have a good sense of Vermont now, and can't wait to go back. I would still feel this way had her tour not included a stop at an alpaca farm. Luckily, it did, and getting to cuddle up with alpaca (possibly the cutest animals EVER) is an experience I hope everyone has at least once in their life--or on their next visit to Manchester, Vermont!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank KathleenCurrie
Coral Gables, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was highly impressed with how knowledgeable the tour guide was. She takes you to visit places that you wouldn't ordinarily find in a guide book of the area. The Real Vermont as she calls it. You get to visit an Original Country Store, an Alpaca Farm, and travel thru several quaint small towns where you also get a chance to visit a famous potter, her most famous collection is called "Road Kill" and if you take this tour you will see why. I highly recommend this tour, one of the highlights of this tour is a visit to a Marble Pit. You will Not be disappointed.

Visited November 2012
bckrddisc, Owner at Backroad Discovery Tours, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you so much for the trip advisor review. I'm so glad you enjoyed the tour; it's people like you who make it all worthwhile! Vermont speaks for itself and I'm proud to be her guide!
New England
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Excellent History tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I booked the Revolutionary War/Civil War History tour for my husband's birthday treat. I also love history but this was really for him.

Dick, one of the owners, met us at Adams Park right on time and away we went in his van.

Primarily the tour centers around Bennington and the history of the area's Revolutionary battles/Ethan Allen/Green Mtn boys, etc. We stopped on the green in old Bennington near the monument and toured the cemetary and learned about the extensive history enveloping the area. Just fascinating. Dick has a real passion for the subject and it shows. Be sure to ask lots of questions...he's happy to answer them!

On the way back to Manchester, we passed many taverns, inns and other points of interest during the Revolutionary War. With the exception of Hildene (which we passed, but did not enter), there really was not much about the Civil War. Which makes sense. No battles were fought in Vermont after all!

The tour covered a great deal of information that we would not have known otherwise and was well worth the fee. Oh, because we were there after foliage season, we had the van to ourselves which was fun - our own private tour! Great job Dick, thank you so much!

Visited October 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Take A Trip into Rural Vermont - Escape into the Real Vermont”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I took a trip to New England to see the Fall foliage in late September. We spent 3 nights in Manchester, VT staying at a great B&B, eating some great meals, hiking Mt. Equinox, and roaming through the great outlet shops.

However, Sharon of Backroad Discovery Tours took us on a wonderful backroads trip into the real Vermont. What a wonderful experience. Traveling in her renovated jail van that has been converted into a comfortable tour vehicle we went into the backroads of Vermont, learning about how Vermont is truly a unique place. Sharon had a wealth of interesting knowledge and we did some very fun things such as stopping at a maple syrup farm, an Alpaca ranch, and walking through a quaint small Vermont town and its general store.

Definitely would recommend an escape to the Real Vermont with Sharon!

Visited September 2012