“Bed Bugs!”

Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
Forest Hills, New York
“Bed Bugs!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This review is long overdue.

This past March, I went up to Stratton for a couple of days of snowboarding. I drove up from NYC early Saturday morning and hit the slopes at Stratton at around 1pm. I took it easy figuring I would have a full day tomorrow. My understanding wife knows I love snowboarding and was kind enough to let me go snowboarding for a couple of days even though we have a one month old baby at home.

I checked in late at the Econo Lodge and took a shower looking forward to the first night of quiet sleep in a month. When I stepped out of the shower, I noticed a used towel hanging behind the door. Figuring the cleaning lady must have overlooked this, I didn’t think much of it and went to bed looking forward to hitting the slopes first thing in the morning.

Throughout the night I faded in and out of sleep scratching my thighs until it became unbearable. I quickly jumped out of bed and saw red marks all over both legs. Freaked out, I lifted my bed sheets and immediately discovered what I suspected was a bed bug -- see attached picture.

After I confirmed it was indeed a bed bug by comparing images online, I called the front desk. The manager on duty came to my room and insisted there were no bed bugs until I showed him the bed bug I had captured. We proceeded to look through all the bed sheets. After expressing how angry I was, especially if I were to bring this home to my wife and newborn, he accused me of bringing the bed bug with me. I was livid. I gave him an earful and demanded my money back. He reluctantly agreed. I proceeded to carefully pack everything into a trash bag to minimize the chance of bringing the bed bugs back home with me. When I went to the front desk to get my money back, he had the audacity to withhold $20 as a "cleaning charge". When I called him out, he quickly backpedaled and refunded me the entire amount.

Exhausted from a lack of sleep, I headed backed to NYC at around 3AM.

Having traveled to many places in the world and at times staying in questionable accommodations (a hut in the Amazons and a sleeper on overnight trains to small cities throughout China), this is my first encounter with bed bugs.

Needless to say, I would never stay here again and urge you to stay away from this place.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 14.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank kdiao
Gary P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Mr. Kdiao

On behalf of Econolodge Manchester Center please accept my apology for your unpleasant stay. We appreciate your concerns and would like to thank you for bringing them to our attention. Mr. Kdiao at the time of this incident you came to me and asked to change the room and we told you that we were sold out and did not have any rooms for you to change to. After I gave you a full refund for your stay and asked you to vacate the room. You also wanted to stay even thou you had problems with the room, you have also told me that if I did not let you stay you will Wright a bad review and place a bad comment on the web. Mr. Kdiao form the time you were checking in you wanted to pay less then what the our regular price was and because it was late at night I acuminated you and then you still made false accusation regarding my property.
Whether you are traveling on business or pleasure, we know you have a variety of hotels to choose from. We strive to provide you a room that is clean and comfortable, with friendly attentive service at a value conscious price. Which is why at any time you have a suggestion on how to improve our service to you we take that opportunity to listen.
We strive to ensure our guests experience the best stay possible during their travels and your feedback is truly valuable to us.
We appreciate you sparing your time and bringing this matter to our attention. We sincerely offer our apologies and hope that you will have no further cause for any complaint in the future.
Management & Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here for one night recently. The property is freshly painted and appears to be partly remodeled. The lobby is attractive and well lit and contains tables and chairs for breakfast and a couch for lounging. Our room, #2, was just off the lobby and had a recently redone bathroom with granite counter and attractive faucets for sink and shower/bath. The bedroom had dark furniture, one small window, and a dark carpet and was, well, dark. However the king bed was new and comfortable and the flat screen TV worked just fine. I was not able to get reliable cell phone service at the hotel, a problem in parts of rural Vermont. This hotel is located on the east side of State Route 7; most of the rest of Manchester is located on the west side of State Route 7 about a mile away. There are several attractive looking restaurants very close to the hotel however. We did not try the breakfast (included).

Room Tip: Rooms 1-6 are just off the lobby and are convenient to the parking lot as well.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bikers_Mom

Hopkinton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I've stayed in a lot of Choice Hotels across New England, and if I don't like one I won't go back (even though I travel in the same circuit at least twice a year if not more).

This is the second time I've stayed in this Econo Lodge and I'll probably keep coming as I've established a nice routine. The only reason I give it 3 stars over 4 is that the internet isn't great and my phone service here (Verizon) is terrible so its a pain in the butt to try to do work in the evening. Normally I don't like to stay in "motel-like" places but this place has interior doors and the exterior "back" door is always locked so I feel safe. It's definitely an older motel and I've always stayed in the side farthest from the pool. While the room itself is a bit dated, I appreciate that they spent their money on where its most worth it - the bathroom is completely updated with granite sinks and nice showers. Everything's been clean the two times I've been here. It's owned by a family that's on-site and they've always been very nice. It makes it feel a bit more home-y & local to me. I like the location. 5 minutes from everything that Manchester Center has to offer, yet far out enough to feel like you're in VT. I really like the tavern at the Perfect Wife restaurant - its been nice to just drive up the street for dinner. I also found a running path at the Dana Thompson Park which was a perfect 5k run (far beats a hotel treadmill, which this does not have anyways). Sure, the ice machine doesn't work and they have those gross hotel bedspreads, but everything else is good so Its worth it.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ohmaykay
Gary P, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Please visit Manchester and the Econo Lodge again soon!

Gary
Burlington VT
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a nice older motel with new management that is very eager to please. It looks like they did a major renovation and my room was nicely appointed with new fixtures. It was clean, and even the hallways smelled like they were recently washed. I got a good night's rest here, and the price was good. Mine was a non smoking room, and my nose would have told me if someone has smoked in there recently. No problems here. The breakfast was typical Econo Lodge; waffles, cereal, coffee, juice. There was no decaf the day I was there, but If I had asked, he probably would have made me a pot. It wasn't important to me. The free breakfast is a plus in these hotels, but if you want a real breakfast, try the diner next door.

As choice privilege member I have tried a lot of hotels in the chain that includes Comfort Suites, Comfort Inn, Econolodge, and Rodeway. Some of the lower end ones can be not so nice, and some I would never go back to. (See my reviews in Rutland and Brattleboro, for example.) This is one I can recommend, and would go back myself. There are very few choices in the chain in Southern VT; this one is a safe one.

Generally, the deal on the Econo Lodge is that they are older motels that were locally owned, and now have joined this chain, and are refitted to meet the brand standard. Within that standard is a lot of variation. Problems can come in when the local owners have gone, and in their place are people not from the area, and sometimes not from this hemisphere. Not that I care where they come from, I care about the accommodation and relative value. But sometimes there can be a cultural problem, as the people running the place have a different set of standards than does the chain or the people from the area.

Very little of this phenomenon is present here, and it is not going to harm your stay. Mr. Patel speaks good English, but so fast and so accented you may have to ask him to repeat himself for a while until he can learn to slow down so we can understand him. I found the room clean and everything in place. It is not the Ritz; you are not going to find fluffy towels. But you will find clean towels, hot water, free breakfast. It compares very well to the other VT Econolodges I've been to, probably better than most. It may not be in the Platinum group (top 5% of brand) like Saint Albans is, but it is on its way.

Room Tip: Manager may be able to save you a few dollars if you do not book through choice hotels.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank VTyankee

New Yo
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I will never stay here again and I suggest you look elsewhere. There was cigarette ash in the toilet along with long hairs on my pillow case (as if it had never been washed/changed) and the overall attitude from the reception that I received when I questioned them about if the room had been cleaned or not is enough for you to chose a different hotel. There are a few pocket friendly places in the area. Do yourself a favor and skip this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Maggie W

(802) 362-3333

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

new york
Reviewed March 25, 2013

After a severe injury on the mountain forced us to cancel our stay here we stopped and spoke to Gary Patel - who said he would cancel the reservation (Lie #1), just call Hotels.com. When Hotels.com called him he refused to cancel the transaction. When I went back he told me he was not the manager (Lie #2) and that I needed to call Choice Hotels (Lie #3). He gave me the number and I called in in front of him. It turned out to be tech support - clearly they could not help me. He then told me I had to talk to the general manager, Sam Patel, who was conveniently out of town for 2 days. When I called 'Sam' two days later, the employee answering the phone had never heard of 'Sam.' (Lie #4) The employee also stated that Gary Patel runs the hotel and lives there - clearly can make a cancellation decision. I called Gary back to ask about 'Sam' which caused him to start yelling and hang up the phone.

Do yourself a favor and try a different hotel. Too many other places in town to give this unhonest owner a shot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank VTrider12

Flanders, New Jersey
Reviewed February 4, 2013

First I will point out the Pros then the Cons:
Pros: New owners of this property have really done a great job remodeling and replacing old sinks and tubs.
The Room was very clean and comfortable.
Cons: I paid 99 dollars per night stayed 2 nights with tax 230. A more reasonable price would have been 49. dollars per night.
The heater is new and works but the fan is loud, and you can hear everyone when they walk in hallway or open and close doors, almost as if they are in your room.
The bathroom was ice cold, so had to leave bathroom door open to warm out. and the Door frames need to be replaced, had to slam door to close.

Summary: A great hotel for a somewhat fair price, rooms very clean, furniture outdated but functional. Owner are VERY NICE, will fix anything if its broken, they really care about your stay and want to do everything possible to make sure your comfortable. Just for that reason I LOVED it. Next door is Bobs Diner, Outstanding food!!! Good luck!!!

Room Tip: Call ahead tell the owners your concern they will do their best to assist you, they really care and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family