“Compares very well to other Econo Lodges.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Manchester
Burlington VT
“Compares very well to other Econo Lodges.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a nice older motel with new management that is very eager to please. It looks like they did a major renovation and my room was nicely appointed with new fixtures. It was clean, and even the hallways smelled like they were recently washed. I got a good night's rest here, and the price was good. Mine was a non smoking room, and my nose would have told me if someone has smoked in there recently. No problems here. The breakfast was typical Econo Lodge; waffles, cereal, coffee, juice. There was no decaf the day I was there, but If I had asked, he probably would have made me a pot. It wasn't important to me. The free breakfast is a plus in these hotels, but if you want a real breakfast, try the diner next door.

As choice privilege member I have tried a lot of hotels in the chain that includes Comfort Suites, Comfort Inn, Econolodge, and Rodeway. Some of the lower end ones can be not so nice, and some I would never go back to. (See my reviews in Rutland and Brattleboro, for example.) This is one I can recommend, and would go back myself. There are very few choices in the chain in Southern VT; this one is a safe one.

Generally, the deal on the Econo Lodge is that they are older motels that were locally owned, and now have joined this chain, and are refitted to meet the brand standard. Within that standard is a lot of variation. Problems can come in when the local owners have gone, and in their place are people not from the area, and sometimes not from this hemisphere. Not that I care where they come from, I care about the accommodation and relative value. But sometimes there can be a cultural problem, as the people running the place have a different set of standards than does the chain or the people from the area.

Very little of this phenomenon is present here, and it is not going to harm your stay. Mr. Patel speaks good English, but so fast and so accented you may have to ask him to repeat himself for a while until he can learn to slow down so we can understand him. I found the room clean and everything in place. It is not the Ritz; you are not going to find fluffy towels. But you will find clean towels, hot water, free breakfast. It compares very well to the other VT Econolodges I've been to, probably better than most. It may not be in the Platinum group (top 5% of brand) like Saint Albans is, but it is on its way.

Room Tip: Manager may be able to save you a few dollars if you do not book through choice hotels.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank VTyankee

(802) 362-3333

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New Yo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I will never stay here again and I suggest you look elsewhere. There was cigarette ash in the toilet along with long hairs on my pillow case (as if it had never been washed/changed) and the overall attitude from the reception that I received when I questioned them about if the room had been cleaned or not is enough for you to chose a different hotel. There are a few pocket friendly places in the area. Do yourself a favor and skip this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Maggie W

(802) 362-3333

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

After a severe injury on the mountain forced us to cancel our stay here we stopped and spoke to Gary Patel - who said he would cancel the reservation (Lie #1), just call Hotels.com. When Hotels.com called him he refused to cancel the transaction. When I went back he told me he was not the manager (Lie #2) and that I needed to call Choice Hotels (Lie #3). He gave me the number and I called in in front of him. It turned out to be tech support - clearly they could not help me. He then told me I had to talk to the general manager, Sam Patel, who was conveniently out of town for 2 days. When I called 'Sam' two days later, the employee answering the phone had never heard of 'Sam.' (Lie #4) The employee also stated that Gary Patel runs the hotel and lives there - clearly can make a cancellation decision. I called Gary back to ask about 'Sam' which caused him to start yelling and hang up the phone.

Do yourself a favor and try a different hotel. Too many other places in town to give this unhonest owner a shot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank VTrider12

Flanders, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

First I will point out the Pros then the Cons:
Pros: New owners of this property have really done a great job remodeling and replacing old sinks and tubs.
The Room was very clean and comfortable.
Cons: I paid 99 dollars per night stayed 2 nights with tax 230. A more reasonable price would have been 49. dollars per night.
The heater is new and works but the fan is loud, and you can hear everyone when they walk in hallway or open and close doors, almost as if they are in your room.
The bathroom was ice cold, so had to leave bathroom door open to warm out. and the Door frames need to be replaced, had to slam door to close.

Summary: A great hotel for a somewhat fair price, rooms very clean, furniture outdated but functional. Owner are VERY NICE, will fix anything if its broken, they really care about your stay and want to do everything possible to make sure your comfortable. Just for that reason I LOVED it. Next door is Bobs Diner, Outstanding food!!! Good luck!!!

Room Tip: Call ahead tell the owners your concern they will do their best to assist you, they really care and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MatthewNJ

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed here for one night after a day of skiing at Stratton. It was good that it was pretty close to the Manchester area as well as being fairly close to Stratton. The rooms were clean, furniture outdated (not a big deal) and bathroom was very clean (small stall shower, no tub). The owner was very nice and accommodating, but I can't say I would return. For me the biggest problem was the heating unit, which was loud ok, but the worst for me was that it kept clicking on and off at 1 min and 30 second intervals. So imagine, you are trying to sleep and a hairdryer is on which if it stayed on consistently might pass for "white noise". Now imagine the hairdryer is shut off and you are in complete Vermont quietness for 30 seconds (yes, I counted, that's how little I slept). Now imagine the hairdryer on for another minute. As so went my night. Unfortunately the only option is to turn the whole thing off and see if you will stay asleep when the cold settles in. There is no other switch no other option. I tried making the room super hot and turning it all the way down, and vice versa. It still clicks on and off every minute. So if you are a deep sleeper or have earplugs this may work for you. I will never return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alexa F

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were not happy with a different place that we were staying at, and the Avalanche Motel was one of the few places that had availability for the nights that we were looking for. We were also pleasantly surprised by how nice our stay ended up being.

The king bed that we had was spacious, and relatively comfortable and the bathrooms were very clean. The motel changed owners in the last year, so the new owners have renovated several parts of the motel, and keep things very clean. The AC/heater unit can be a bit loud when it comes on, but it quickly warmed up our room and only turns on to maintain the temperature that you set. You can occasionally hear other guests when they come in and out of their rooms, but the AC/heater unit was actually helpful to drown out some of the noise.

The motel is very well located. It is just a short drive away from the outlet shops and Manchester's nicer restaurants, and is next door to a nice farm stand that sells some of Vermont's freshest food. There are also several hiking trails that are no more than a 10-minute drive from the motel. It also has a pool, and a large grassy area, but we didn't really make use of these during our stay. We opted to have breakfast in town, so we never tried it at the motel. If there are only a few guests, the owners seem to wait to see if anyone wants the breakfast, rather than automatically setting it out. So if you don't see it, it seems like all you have to do is ask for it.

For $99/night, it was exactly what we needed after abruptly changing hotels, and was a good value overall.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elle K

Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed there two nights for a hunting trip. The rooms are clean, service is good, bathrooms have been recently upgraded and are very nice. Only glitch was no hot water one afternoon, quickly taken care of.

Fine for this off season (we're not leaf peepers) trip for basic accommodations with adequate room for gear and even a dog crate (barely).

Dog friendly which is a big plus for the hunting classes; you definitely need a dog for grouse and woodcock hunting and a place that will welcome them in chilly weather.

Inexpensive, and good when you're not looking for anything but a comfy place to stay and regroup for the next day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends