“Gross!”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I will never stay here again and I suggest you look elsewhere. There was cigarette ash in the toilet along with long hairs on my pillow case (as if it had never been washed/changed) and the overall attitude from the reception that I received when I questioned them about if the room had been cleaned or not is enough for you to chose a different hotel. There are a few pocket friendly places in the area. Do yourself a favor and skip this place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Maggie W
Gary P, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Reviewed March 25, 2013

After a severe injury on the mountain forced us to cancel our stay here we stopped and spoke to Gary Patel - who said he would cancel the reservation (Lie #1), just call Hotels.com. When Hotels.com called him he refused to cancel the transaction. When I went back he told me he was not the manager (Lie #2) and that I needed to call Choice Hotels (Lie #3). He gave me the number and I called in in front of him. It turned out to be tech support - clearly they could not help me. He then told me I had to talk to the general manager, Sam Patel, who was conveniently out of town for 2 days. When I called 'Sam' two days later, the employee answering the phone had never heard of 'Sam.' (Lie #4) The employee also stated that Gary Patel runs the hotel and lives there - clearly can make a cancellation decision. I called Gary back to ask about 'Sam' which caused him to start yelling and hang up the phone.

Do yourself a favor and try a different hotel. Too many other places in town to give this unhonest owner a shot.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank VTrider12

Reviewed February 4, 2013

First I will point out the Pros then the Cons:
Pros: New owners of this property have really done a great job remodeling and replacing old sinks and tubs.
The Room was very clean and comfortable.
Cons: I paid 99 dollars per night stayed 2 nights with tax 230. A more reasonable price would have been 49. dollars per night.
The heater is new and works but the fan is loud, and you can hear everyone when they walk in hallway or open and close doors, almost as if they are in your room.
The bathroom was ice cold, so had to leave bathroom door open to warm out. and the Door frames need to be replaced, had to slam door to close.

Summary: A great hotel for a somewhat fair price, rooms very clean, furniture outdated but functional. Owner are VERY NICE, will fix anything if its broken, they really care about your stay and want to do everything possible to make sure your comfortable. Just for that reason I LOVED it. Next door is Bobs Diner, Outstanding food!!! Good luck!!!

Room Tip: Call ahead tell the owners your concern they will do their best to assist you, they really care and...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MatthewNJ

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed here for one night after a day of skiing at Stratton. It was good that it was pretty close to the Manchester area as well as being fairly close to Stratton. The rooms were clean, furniture outdated (not a big deal) and bathroom was very clean (small stall shower, no tub). The owner was very nice and accommodating, but I can't say I would return. For me the biggest problem was the heating unit, which was loud ok, but the worst for me was that it kept clicking on and off at 1 min and 30 second intervals. So imagine, you are trying to sleep and a hairdryer is on which if it stayed on consistently might pass for "white noise". Now imagine the hairdryer is shut off and you are in complete Vermont quietness for 30 seconds (yes, I counted, that's how little I slept). Now imagine the hairdryer on for another minute. As so went my night. Unfortunately the only option is to turn the whole thing off and see if you will stay asleep when the cold settles in. There is no other switch no other option. I tried making the room super hot and turning it all the way down, and vice versa. It still clicks on and off every minute. So if you are a deep sleeper or have earplugs this may work for you. I will never return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alexa F

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were not happy with a different place that we were staying at, and the Avalanche Motel was one of the few places that had availability for the nights that we were looking for. We were also pleasantly surprised by how nice our stay ended up being.

The king bed that we had was spacious, and relatively comfortable and the bathrooms were very clean. The motel changed owners in the last year, so the new owners have renovated several parts of the motel, and keep things very clean. The AC/heater unit can be a bit loud when it comes on, but it quickly warmed up our room and only turns on to maintain the temperature that you set. You can occasionally hear other guests when they come in and out of their rooms, but the AC/heater unit was actually helpful to drown out some of the noise.

The motel is very well located. It is just a short drive away from the outlet shops and Manchester's nicer restaurants, and is next door to a nice farm stand that sells some of Vermont's freshest food. There are also several hiking trails that are no more than a 10-minute drive from the motel. It also has a pool, and a large grassy area, but we didn't really make use of these during our stay. We opted to have breakfast in town, so we never tried it at the motel. If there are only a few guests, the owners seem to wait to see if anyone wants the breakfast, rather than automatically setting it out. So if you don't see it, it seems like all you have to do is ask for it.

For $99/night, it was exactly what we needed after abruptly changing hotels, and was a good value overall.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elle K

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed there two nights for a hunting trip. The rooms are clean, service is good, bathrooms have been recently upgraded and are very nice. Only glitch was no hot water one afternoon, quickly taken care of.

Fine for this off season (we're not leaf peepers) trip for basic accommodations with adequate room for gear and even a dog crate (barely).

Dog friendly which is a big plus for the hunting classes; you definitely need a dog for grouse and woodcock hunting and a place that will welcome them in chilly weather.

Inexpensive, and good when you're not looking for anything but a comfy place to stay and regroup for the next day.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was pleasently surprised with this motel. I didin't expect a lot of it, and thought the room was really clean and quite modern. I think they have renovated lately.It is a good choice for a stay in beautiful Manchester. It is close to all the restaurants and shops. The staff was also nice and helpfull. The only thing was the breakfeast offered did not have a lot of choice and was served in the lobby were there is not a lot of place to seat.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple