“Another wonderful stay at the Palmer House!”
Review of Palmer House

Palmer House
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 18, 2009

My husband and I just returned from another wonderful weekend spent at the Palmer House. We visit Manchester at least four times a year and always look forward to the immaculate, comfortable guest rooms, beautifully manicured grounds, and helpful, professional staff. This property is perfect if you are looking for quiet relaxation. Before discovering the Palmer House, we stayed at several other Manchester inns, hotels, and motels but have found that the Palmer House is second to none! We usually stay in one of the suites which are located towards the back of the property. The suites are roomy with King size beds and beautiful bathrooms. The gas fire place in the living room is cozy in the winter and the slider to the deck overlooking the little pond is beautiful in all seasons! "The kitchen" has a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker! We have spent many early mornings strolling around the pond, enjoying the wildlife, afternoons lounging by the pool and evenings enjoying a cocktail on the deck! Can't wait to return in August!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Palmer House

Reviewed May 25, 2009

My husband and I have been visiting Manchester for the past nine years. We go at least once a year and hopefully, twice a year. We have tried a few different lodgings but find The Palmer House the best for your money. We arrived home today after spending three nights at The Palmer House. The owners and staff are very accomodating and pleasant. The rooms are immaculate. I have allergies and had a slight problem with the new air conditioning. The owner and the desk person came to show me how to set it properly. In addition, the next morning, another desk person checked with me to make sure that things were working properly and if I was ok....

We will be going to Vermont, again, and will surely go to The Palmer House.

Reviewed October 1, 2008

We chose the Palmer House as our destination because we wanted to enjoy some peace and quiet, and we were not disappointed. Of course, we also chose to visit Vermont during the extreme off season, after Labor Day and before foliage time.
We stayed in one of the suites at the back of the property bordering on the trout pond. The suite was quite large, and had all the amenities listed on the web site, including the kitchenette, large whirlpool tub, and wireless Internet access.
The staff at the front desk were very friendly and accommodating, handling our few questions and requests cheerfully.
The indoor pool was in the basement of the building where our suite was located, which was quite convenient. The pool was clean and warm. It's very long, 17 meters, I think, but only 4 feet deep throughout its length.
We didn't use the 9-hole pitch and putt golf course which meanders around the property, but those guests who did take advantage of it seemed to enjoy it a great deal.
Some reviewers have been upset with the resort's policy prohibiting children under twelve. That was not a problem for us, since we were there to relax and enjoy the peacefulness of the area. But Manchester Village is not, I would think, a destination which a family with young children would choose anyway. There doesn't seem to be anything there which would attract children. Manchester is located about 50 miles from the nearest town of any size, which would be Brattleboro, and the shopping outlets and restaurants which have sprung up around it wouldn't seem to be of interest to children, nor would the historical mansion, Hildene, which is located in the town.
There was one policy which we found odd. The resort offers what they termed a "light" continental breakfast in their breakfast room, but they charge each guest $2.50 to partake of it; it's not included in the room charge. We chose not to try it, but I guess it's no great issue to pay the extra money, instead of having it just automatically added in to increase the room charge even to those who don't eat there. It gives the guest a choice, and there are plenty of places to get a full breakfast in the town.
The scenery around the town is lovely, and must be spectacular during foliage season.
So if you're looking for an out-of-the-way place where you can do a little sightseeing, dining, and shopping, I can recommend Manchester, Vermont and the Palmer House Resort.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We stayed at the Palmer House several times between 2003 and 2007, and generally liked it a lot. Plusses included the Manchester location, proximity to Ye Olde Tavern (great restaurant), and the overall quiet. Deluxe doubles are on the expensive side for what amounts to an updated motel, but are spacious and comfortable.

In 2007, though, we got a deluxe double in which the air conditioning did not work at all. With the windows open we could get the room down to about 80 degrees; with them closed and the a.c. (theoretically) at work, it got much hotter quite quickly. Calls to the desk elicited responses of "it's new, it works", "it's new and it will work", "it will work, be patient". On about the fourth call, after several hours, they sent a guy to the room who seemed to think our curtains were blocking the vent (they weren't), and who poked about a bit, but changed nothing.

Eventually we became *really* uncomfortable, so we called the desk and said that while we understood we'd have to pay for that night we were leaving in the morning. They tried to tell us we were still liable for the full three nights we'd booked (this was August, not high season, and nothing written or on the website backed up that claim), despite the fact that advertised air conditioning didn't work. I blustered at some length (I'm fairly good at that), and the next morning they relented...but it was a sad way to end what had been an enjoyable series of stays.

I doubt we'll be back -- we tried The Inn at Manchester and were immediately won over --

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Itinerant_scholar
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Well, what can I say? We had yet another wonderful stay at the Palmer House.

We are repeat customers and have stayed there during the summer, fall foliage and during the winter in a extremely bad snowstorm.

Check-in was a breeze, we arrived on Saturday about lunchtime and immediately were given our room. There's no waiting at this resort for your room regardless really what time you check-in.

Our room was 33, which is not the first set of room, but the 2nd set of room just past the office. We paid $160 a night plus tax, extremely reasonable considering what you get for your money - peace, quiet and views to die for. Unlike the other places. I believe Palmer House is the biggest in the area as far as property and amenities goes.

Now to clarify the negative review that New Yorker gave, let me explain the setup. The entire place is a single story resort, no stairs and yet no problems if you are handicapped.
The first 20 or so rooms are what they call their 'standard' rooms. You have a huge room and a bigger bathroom. You only have 1 entrance to your room.

The next set of rooms right past the office (30's room number and maybe upper 20's?) have 2 entrances. The one you enter when you park your car and then another one inside which goes to the front of your room. Slightly bigger, but really no different in design & such. All the rooms have your own table and chairs outside to sit and read or smoke that cigar. There is no smoking in any of the rooms.

Surrounding the grounds is their 9 hole golfcourse, par 3 if I'm not mistaken. No fees, you just go to the office and grab a club and some balls!

They also have 2 pools, one which is outdoors and one indoors, both are heated, but the outdoor can be chilly at times depending on the weather. They also have several tennis courts for use (again, everything is FREE use) and a shuffleboard near the front entrance.

At the office, there is a small eating area where they serve a small continental breakfast in the morning. Nothing extravagant mind you, but its fine if you are not a big eater. There's plenty of places within a 1/4 mile drive to eat meals.

Then again, EVERYTHING in Manchester is 1/4 mile to anything.

Behind the one story rooms are additional rooms they built several years ago. These are the 2 bedrooms and up. A bit pricey, but if you want something a bit luxurious, then go for it. I think those rooms go for $300 something.

If you like to fish, they have a trout pond, its a catch and release, but you can also view some frogs and turtles and if you are lucky, the family of ducks that comes from year to year.

Just past the pond is a trail just cleared connecting to a school and beyond that goes to Manchester's recreation area where they also light off the fireworks each year.

Because the walk to the pond is a bit downhill, you'll have a nice walk, not too streneous, but a nice walk.

I've added photo's on here, please feel free to contact me with any questions. I've been staying here for years, so I'm very familar with the property.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cassie4486
Reviewed February 23, 2008

I checked in at 9pm and checked out at 10am, so I can't speak to everything about the hotel. I didn't eat breakfast or try the outdoor hot tub or anything like that. But I can tell you that my room was a terrific value.

I stayed in one of the suites. I paid $160 plus tax. The room was very large and clean. It featured a comfortable king-sized bed, a gas fireplace that gave off a lot of heat, some decent furniture, and a nice jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. There was a private balcony with decent adirondack chairs but I didn't spend too much time out there because it was, like, 10 degrees outside.

It was not opulent but it was perfectly adequate. At $160/night I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank KenDilger
Reviewed January 26, 2008

We stayed at the Palmer House in August for an anniversary trip, in the one bedroom suites at the back of the property. The suite has a bedroom, huge bathroom with a beautiful jacuzzi tub and separate living room which opens to a kitchenette. This suite was very "cozy" and private, including the deck in the back.

I am a golfer and while I thought the golf course would be just for decoration, boy was I wrong. The grass, greens and entire grounds of the hotel were in great shape and hitting the ball around with my wife was alot of fun. She doesn't even play but how could you not give it a try on holes that are only 50yds. long. When we were there many couples were out playing and enjoying themselves.

I just want to say this place was one of the best "finds" we've come across. We always look for places with suites and this place can't be beat. Everyone (staff and locals) were very friendly and we walked downtown whenever we wanted anything since the hotel is basically located right in the center of town. While some may think the price is high at over $200 a night, for what you get it's soooooo worth it. We highly recommend the suites at this hotel and can't wait to go back again next summer!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple