“A Hidden Gem”

Palmer House
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My son and I stayed at the Palmer House in August 2013 while doing a 4 day bike ride in Vermont. We stayed at a few motels/hotels in the area, both my son and I agreed that the Palmer House was by far the best! The room was very clean, spacious and had a large dressing area next to the bathroom. The grounds are well manicured with a 9 hole golf course. There is also a beautiful pond on the property with rooms overlooking the pond. The group of cyclists that we were with all commented how nice the Palmer House was. It is obvious that the owners and employees take pride in the Palmer House. If you plan on a visit to the area, I would highly recommend you consider the Palmer House.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Hello and thank you for your delightful review! How nice to hear not only you but an entire group found us to their liking! I remember a bike group staying with us in August and I must return the compliment as everyone was very friendly and just happy to be here! But it's also helpful for us to hear how we are faring in comparison to other hotel stops you make along the way...so thank you and please return with the rest of your family...bikes included!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in a motel style room, king bed, nice sitting area with a full size sofa, comfy chair and table - felt like a living room! Nice table and chairs outside the room too, looking over the nicely manicured green. The grounds were beautiful with a little 9 hole golf course surrounding the buildings, hike to fishing pond..very relaxing. Bed was comfortable, bathroom nicely appointed. I did have a little troubling keeping the shower temp consistent. Room had a nice size min-fridge with a freezer compartment that was very handy. Breakfast in a common room near the office, $2.50 a head, honor system - toast, English muffins, mini bagels, cereal, juice, milk, coffee - basic but really all we needed. Walking distance to some nice dining spots, and you really could walk to the shopping areas. Office staff was very friendly and helpful. Given the location to hiking, golfing, skiing, shopping, on top of the pleasant atmosphere we will definitely return!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GreenVTtraveler

Hello and thank you for the nice description of the Palmer House...made me want to get a room myself! I will pass on to our Maintenance team about the shower...always good to hear if there's anything that needs attention...thank you. I'm very happy to hear you plan on returning.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I just returned from one of my many visits to the Palmer House and once again it was a wonderful experience. The room was very clean with a large bathroom. The hotel grounds are beautiful and expansive. My unit overlooked the pond which was very nice this time of year. The owners are gracious and devoted to their guests. It's proximity to town, skiing, hiking and restaurants is a major plus. Excellent experience all around.

Room Tip: The suites are awesome.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Patrick16
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Hello and thank you for your delightful review! Your description aptly describes your stay in one of our Deluxe Suites. If I had my way, I would live in one of them permanently....they have everything you need...including no kitchen! Although each room is quite spacious and also has a small refrigerator and coffee pot, the Suites have that much more charm with the fireplace, private balcony and jacuzzi tub.
We do hope you will return.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The rooms were clean and well appointed. Very close to city activities. Plenty of nice dining available within short distances. A simple, light breakfast was available for $2.50 per person. The grounds were clean and well kept. My wife and I enjoyed our stay; we stayed four nights. I definitely would return to this establishment.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello and thank you for your concise and positive review! I am always pleased to hear that our guests like the 1. cleanliness 2. location and 3. comfort and sounds like we succeeded in all three! Please do return, we would love to have you.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a very clean motel/Inn. We happened upon it close to dark and stayed one night. They only had a few rooms left in the front house/Inn which we accepted. The grounds and room were very clean and well appointed, however, upon entering the front door of the house, we immediately smelt a musty smell. The fan in the room helped, but the musty odor was strong all night. I believe they have a mould issue in the house, but not was visible. Not our best choice.

Room Tip: the motel rooms might be a better choice
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rda_On
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review the Palmer House. As you might imagine, it was distressing to read about your less than perfect stay with us. The nature of historic buildings -despite how well-maintained and clean they are- at times lends itself to an older smell, particularly if it has been raining. (I know, because I own one!) Most of our rooms are more modern and have the convenience of driving right up to your door. We have guests with both tastes...some prefer the older with all it's quirks and charm and others who prefer modern and new. We do hope that you will come back to us again and let us offer you a room we know you will truly enjoy.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is a great motel in Manchester - easy walking distance to local restaurants and the outlet shops. Rooms are large and clean and the motel is set in large grounds (golf course, tennis courts and pool) so it all feels very spacious. Breakfast is a simple cereals and toast which suited us fine. Service from the hosts was very friendly and helpful. One very minor gripe is that the door from the room to outside had a window in it and there was no curtain over the window - just a venetian blind - which meant that light did come in at night from the lamps outside. We like a dark room to sleep and so had to use towels to smother the window. We loved Manchester and I'm sure will be back, staying at Palmer House again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IJMCroydon

Hello and thank you so much for your constructive review. We really appreciate these little tidbits so that we can consider alternative ways to make your visit as pleasant as possible. (I also like a dark room to sleep!) And thank you for sharing your appreciation of our grounds which we work very hard at...to keep those compliments coming in!
Please do come again.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I have chosen to vacation at the Palmer House, in Manchester, Vermont for the past 37 years. Our son and daughter-in-law have followed in our footsteps as they too, love the Palmer House.

The owners are hard working, conscientious individuals. The fruits of their labor have produced a place of beauty and tranquility. Their grounds are beautifully landscaped and their rooms are meticulously decorated in style and comfort.

The Innkeeper and Assistant Innkeeper are both friendly, knowledgeable of the area and always willing to help in any way. They are an added asset to the Palmer House.

If you haven’t been to this magnificent resort, you don’t know what you’re missing. If you have been there, you will want to return many times over.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Connie S

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review the Palmer House and may I add...so eloquently! How awesome is it when one generation is followed by another generation to the doorsteps of the Palmer House? It is marvelous indeed. And please know, as warmly as we have been assessed by you, you are just the return guests we dream about! So thank you again and please return again....and again....and again!