My family has been going to Manchester for years and we tend to rent a house for a week in the fall. This visit was a last minute jaunt for a few days sans kids so we decided to stay at a hotel close to town. We chose the Palmer House due to its proximity and boy, were we thrilled with our decision.
From the moment we pulled in, we noticed the immaculate grounds. The grass was so lush and green! Then I noticed it was a 9 hole par 3 golf course! When we checked in, the lady (I forget her name) was so incredibly nice and informative. They have golf clubs you can sign out for the golf course and you can play from sun up to sun down. I don't golf - but we found time one beautiful afternoon and played around on a few holes. It was so much fun! (This was great for someone who doesn't play and didn't have to pay to try it out.)
They also have 2 heated pools - one outdoor pool which is a little small, but very clean. There were a couple of chaise lounge chairs and a couple of regular chairs. This is not a pool that you can lounge around at all day... A quick dunk and dry and you're on your way. There is also an indoor pool which is big enough to get a good lap workout. The indoor pool area is attached to a small room that has some free weights, and treadmills. I tired out both pools and they were both GREAT. Really nice to have options to swim.
We didn't use the tennis courts, but they were very inviting. When we stay here again, we will bring our rackets!
We stayed in the suite located above the office and were really happy with the accommodations. The stairs leading up to the suite are a little steep but nothing to complain about. I was pleasantly surprised that there were flat screen TVs in every room (living room and the 2 bedrooms). I just expected an old clunky TV in the living room for some reason. The living room TV has a DVD player as well. This suite had a full kitchen and 60 inch table. (I believe the regular rooms only have a small refrigerator in the room for drinks/left overs.) The larger bedroom (king) has a full en-suite bathroom with tub. The smaller bedroom (queen) has a full bathroom, but no tub (stall shower). The wi-fi worked great in the room. I did notice that the further away from the office, the slower the wi-fi. Not sure if staying in one of the rooms on the ends of the motel would be affected by this...?
They offer a continental breakfast for something like $2 pp and complimentary coffee/tea all day. We did not try the breakfast since there are plenty of places to get something to eat a short drive into town.
There are a couple of options for dinner very close to the property. There is the Ye Olde Tavern which is very good and definitely walking distance (5 min walk from any room). It is pricy but I have always had a great meal there. There is also Gringo Jack's Mexican which is awesome and has great Margaritas. This is also walk distance - about a 15 minute walk, and has outdoor seating which is nice on a beautiful fall day. They are open for lunch and dinner.
We can't wait to go back up to Manchester with the family and won't hesitate to stay here again when it's just the two of us.
A couple of things to note:
1) No children under 12 are permitted to stay (I found this odd, but apparently, this is common at hotels in the area)
2) This is motel style - all rooms are ground level (with the exception of a suite above the office and I believe they have two houses on the property they rent out)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Palmer House is a 4 season resort located in Manchester center, only a 1/2 mile from the center of town. We offer a variety of rooms and suites with either a king bed or two double beds. Our suites offer a king bed, fireplace, two person jacuzzi and a private balcony with views of the trout pond and Equinox Mountain. During the summer and fall months enjoy our 9 hole par 3 golf course, two tennis courts and our own stocked trout pond. In the summer take a refreshing swim in our heated outdoor pool with attached jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Palmer House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palmer House Hotel Manchester
- Palmer Hotel Manchester Center
- Palmer Motel Manchester Center