“Hole in One!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey
“Hole in One!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My family has been going to Manchester for years and we tend to rent a house for a week in the fall. This visit was a last minute jaunt for a few days sans kids so we decided to stay at a hotel close to town. We chose the Palmer House due to its proximity and boy, were we thrilled with our decision.

Grounds:
From the moment we pulled in, we noticed the immaculate grounds. The grass was so lush and green! Then I noticed it was a 9 hole par 3 golf course! When we checked in, the lady (I forget her name) was so incredibly nice and informative. They have golf clubs you can sign out for the golf course and you can play from sun up to sun down. I don't golf - but we found time one beautiful afternoon and played around on a few holes. It was so much fun! (This was great for someone who doesn't play and didn't have to pay to try it out.)

They also have 2 heated pools - one outdoor pool which is a little small, but very clean. There were a couple of chaise lounge chairs and a couple of regular chairs. This is not a pool that you can lounge around at all day... A quick dunk and dry and you're on your way. There is also an indoor pool which is big enough to get a good lap workout. The indoor pool area is attached to a small room that has some free weights, and treadmills. I tired out both pools and they were both GREAT. Really nice to have options to swim.

We didn't use the tennis courts, but they were very inviting. When we stay here again, we will bring our rackets!

Room:
We stayed in the suite located above the office and were really happy with the accommodations. The stairs leading up to the suite are a little steep but nothing to complain about. I was pleasantly surprised that there were flat screen TVs in every room (living room and the 2 bedrooms). I just expected an old clunky TV in the living room for some reason. The living room TV has a DVD player as well. This suite had a full kitchen and 60 inch table. (I believe the regular rooms only have a small refrigerator in the room for drinks/left overs.) The larger bedroom (king) has a full en-suite bathroom with tub. The smaller bedroom (queen) has a full bathroom, but no tub (stall shower). The wi-fi worked great in the room. I did notice that the further away from the office, the slower the wi-fi. Not sure if staying in one of the rooms on the ends of the motel would be affected by this...?

Dining:
They offer a continental breakfast for something like $2 pp and complimentary coffee/tea all day. We did not try the breakfast since there are plenty of places to get something to eat a short drive into town.

There are a couple of options for dinner very close to the property. There is the Ye Olde Tavern which is very good and definitely walking distance (5 min walk from any room). It is pricy but I have always had a great meal there. There is also Gringo Jack's Mexican which is awesome and has great Margaritas. This is also walk distance - about a 15 minute walk, and has outdoor seating which is nice on a beautiful fall day. They are open for lunch and dinner.

We can't wait to go back up to Manchester with the family and won't hesitate to stay here again when it's just the two of us.

A couple of things to note:
1) No children under 12 are permitted to stay (I found this odd, but apparently, this is common at hotels in the area)
2) This is motel style - all rooms are ground level (with the exception of a suite above the office and I believe they have two houses on the property they rent out)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Hello and thank you so much for your very positive, in-depth response! I'd like to think that I was the one ("incredibly nice, informative!") who checked you in, but too many people here fit that description! It was delightful to hear how happy you were with everything from par-3 golf course to tennis courts to pools to your room! The Palmer House has been run by the same family for 60 years and the owners take great measures to make sure the place is running ship shape....and we are so glad you noticed. Next time you come, let us show you our Deluxe Suites which are sure to please! The houses in the front have a mix of regular rooms with either one king or two double beds, 1 & 2 Bedroom Suites...or you can rent the whole house for weddings or special events. We look forward to your return! And again, thank you.
Tina Fries

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Palmer House on the second night of a weekend that began with a hotel disaster (see my review for Stone's Lodge). The Palmer House was a welcome balm for us after that. The staff was very friendly and allowed to to view both the regular standard room as well as a suite that they had available. We loved both. We would have picked the suite if we had more time, but we knew that we would only be in the room for a short time. Both rooms were updated, clean and very well-maintained. The suite offered a private deck, in addition to a fireplace and jacuzzi-style tub. We would definitely go back and enjoy that for a full weekend.
The room that we chose had a king size bed, a decent TV (though I couldn't find a channel guide, which was weird), a bathroom with a tub and toilet and sink, but in addition there was a sink and huge vanity outside the bathroom. I loved having two sinks, and plenty of room to spread my stuff out. The water pressure was great in the shower, and the hair dryer worked well. The room did not have the balcony like the suite, but did have a door that opened up onto a shared patio overlooking the well-kept grounds. In addition, there was a very nice seating area, with a comfortable chair and loveseat. The price was also very reasonable at $140 for the night.
The motel offered numerous amenities, none of which we had the opportunity to experience due to the short duration of our stay. I was a little disappointed that the hours for the pool were very limited. It closed at 9, and we did not get back from dinner until well after that.
My only other complaint was that they offered a "continental" breakfast, and charged for it. We did not partake.

Room Tip: Both the standard rooms and suites are very nice. Don't be fooled by the outside which makes it...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Hello and thank you for your recent review. I am happy to hear that we were a welcome change from a less-than-pleasant stay somewhere else and that you found your room so spacious and clean. The tv channel guide is in the directory near the phone. along with other information about the property and surrounding attractions. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with the pool hours and the cost of breakfast. With the low cost of our room rates and no charge for all the other amenities, we felt the nominal fee of $2.50 per person was appropriate. We do hope you will return when you can take advantage of the Palmer House property in its entirety.
Very Sincerely Yours,
Tina Fries.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was in Manchester to run in a race, and arrived a few days early to relax and do some sightseeing before the race event. The Palmer House Resort was the absolutely perfect place to spend these few days. I was in a standard King room, which was huge, with plenty of room to spread out and relax. Very nicely decorated and furnished which made it very comfortable. Linens were high quality. The bathroom "suite" had a giant vanity room with separate tub/toilet room with its own sink. A minifridge in the room gave me a place to keep drinks and snacks.

The location was perfect, just north of the town center yet within very easy walking distance of all the shops and restaurants in town. Parking right outside my door, with very large parking spots with buffer zones between each space were an added plus. There were amenities on the resort that I never got a chance to use, including what looked to be a very nice outdoor pool, an indoor pool, exercise room, and 9-hole golf course that wrapped itself around the resort.

The staff were very nice. I had one very small complaint regarding the ill-fitting mattress pad that bunched up badly under the bottom sheet on my first night, and they took care of it right away the next morning, changing it out for one that fit the mattress properly.

An excellent motel resort property! I only hope that I can get back and stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 20 which was in the first row of buildings before the registration office, but even...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank agmom98
Hello and thank you for taking time to make your recent review. It was a delight to read your glowing report. The Palmer House has been in the same family for 60 years and the owners take very seriously every detail of the resort, so I am pleased that everything was found to be above standard right down to the linens. The location is a real plus for walking into town and even easier is the proximity of the Ye Olde Tavern restaurant, a delightful restaurant right next door to us. I am very happy that the staff was friendly and quick to respond to your needs. We hope that when you return to us you be able to utilize all of our amenities that are of no charge to our guests except the nominal fee of $2.50 per person for the very full continental breakfast offered in the morning.
Again, we thank you for such an extensive and positive review.
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

This past weekend my companion and I drove to Manchester without a plan. Our first choice was booked so we decided to stay at the Palmer House. It was a great decision. In the process of checking in, the very nice clerk informed us the owner said we could upgrade our reservation, made 20 minutes ago on the road, to one of their new suites for a nominal sum. We jumped at the chance. The suite was neat and clean. The jacuzzi and fire place were terrific additions. The view of the mountains was a lovely bonus. The staff was accomodating and friendly. All in all - a great stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael A
Hello and thank you for taking the time with your recent review. I am so happy to hear you were on the receiving end of an upgrade and that you were able to enjoy our lovely Deluxe Suites at a special rate. We find that once you get in a Suite, there's no turning back! I am also happy to know, being one of the staff, that you were treated in a friendly manner. We certainly look forward to your return and thank you once again for a glowing review.
Sincerely
Lyndonville, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just spent the long Labor Day weekend at the Palmer House in Manchester VT and it was fabulous! There is a pool, hot tub, shuffle board, golf, nature trail, pond, tennis and croquet. Covenient walk to the stores and restaurants. Whoever takes care of all the beautiful flowers does an excellent job for sure. We had a large group and was able to rent one of the houses and sitting out on the porch in the evenings with our friends was just what we wanted. One thing they could improve on is their breakfast that is available.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hello and thank you for your review of September 4. We are so pleased the accommodation suited your family so well. Maintaining the property is a group effort, however, the flowers are soley the expertise of the owner, Angelika, who breathes life into each petal! We take to heart each comment on where we can improve and hope you can let us know some of your ideas as to expanding our breakfast, short of cooking! Again, thank you for taking time to let others know about the Palmer House and we do hope to see you again.
Merrick, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Palmer House Resort in Manchester Vt., was just fabulous!!! We just stayed 4 nights in the The luxurious suites. The rooms were immaculate and very comfortable. Terrific accomodations!! The staff were so friendly, I really enjoyed talking with Ruth. She was so pleasant. The grounds are pristine and the outdoor pool was delightful. We played golf there too. Manicured greeens. So glad to see Wendell. We have been here many times and we will return. Thank you Palmer House for a wonderful relaxing vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jackie G
Thank you for taking the time to review the Palmer House. I apologize for the delay in our responding to you. It appears we no longer are getting notification from TripAdvisor when they come in...so I guess I got a bit spoiled! We are always happy to hear from our repeat guests and are very pleased when our staff goes over and beyond....which is easy to do with guests like you! We strive to keep up with the excellent standards you expect and extremely happy when you let us know we're doing it. We look forward to your return.
Tina
Muskegon, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

One of the best values in Manchester. Palmer House has a wonderful reputation for service, convenience to town and a welcoming atmosphere. We had a great time a the Palmer House. For me the best feature is the fountain and close walk to the town park. Wonderful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ReneR208
Thank you for your response of July 17. Please forgive the terrible delay in writing back to you...I just realized we are not being notified by Tripadvisor like we used to. It was delightful to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the fountain and town location! I love the pond with fountain too and incidentally, we have a few more fishing poles to choose from when you come again! Thank you for all the nice compliments!