“Great Place to Spend a Few Days”
Review of Palmer House

Palmer House
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“Great Place to Spend a Few Days”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was in Manchester to run in a race, and arrived a few days early to relax and do some sightseeing before the race event. The Palmer House Resort was the absolutely perfect place to spend these few days. I was in a standard King room, which was huge, with plenty of room to spread out and relax. Very nicely decorated and furnished which made it very comfortable. Linens were high quality. The bathroom "suite" had a giant vanity room with separate tub/toilet room with its own sink. A minifridge in the room gave me a place to keep drinks and snacks.

The location was perfect, just north of the town center yet within very easy walking distance of all the shops and restaurants in town. Parking right outside my door, with very large parking spots with buffer zones between each space were an added plus. There were amenities on the resort that I never got a chance to use, including what looked to be a very nice outdoor pool, an indoor pool, exercise room, and 9-hole golf course that wrapped itself around the resort.

The staff were very nice. I had one very small complaint regarding the ill-fitting mattress pad that bunched up badly under the bottom sheet on my first night, and they took care of it right away the next morning, changing it out for one that fit the mattress properly.

An excellent motel resort property! I only hope that I can get back and stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 20 which was in the first row of buildings before the registration office, but even...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank agmom98
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Hello and thank you for taking time to make your recent review. It was a delight to read your glowing report. The Palmer House has been in the same family for 60 years and the owners take very seriously every detail of the resort, so I am pleased that everything was found to be above standard right down to the linens. The location is a real plus for walking into town and even easier is the proximity of the Ye Olde Tavern restaurant, a delightful restaurant right next door to us. I am very happy that the staff was friendly and quick to respond to your needs. We hope that when you return to us you be able to utilize all of our amenities that are of no charge to our guests except the nominal fee of $2.50 per person for the very full continental breakfast offered in the morning.
Again, we thank you for such an extensive and positive review.
Tina Fries

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Albany, New York
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This past weekend my companion and I drove to Manchester without a plan. Our first choice was booked so we decided to stay at the Palmer House. It was a great decision. In the process of checking in, the very nice clerk informed us the owner said we could upgrade our reservation, made 20 minutes ago on the road, to one of their new suites for a nominal sum. We jumped at the chance. The suite was neat and clean. The jacuzzi and fire place were terrific additions. The view of the mountains was a lovely bonus. The staff was accomodating and friendly. All in all - a great stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael A
Hello and thank you for taking the time with your recent review. I am so happy to hear you were on the receiving end of an upgrade and that you were able to enjoy our lovely Deluxe Suites at a special rate. We find that once you get in a Suite, there's no turning back! I am also happy to know, being one of the staff, that you were treated in a friendly manner. We certainly look forward to your return and thank you once again for a glowing review.
Sincerely
Lyndonville, Vermont
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just spent the long Labor Day weekend at the Palmer House in Manchester VT and it was fabulous! There is a pool, hot tub, shuffle board, golf, nature trail, pond, tennis and croquet. Covenient walk to the stores and restaurants. Whoever takes care of all the beautiful flowers does an excellent job for sure. We had a large group and was able to rent one of the houses and sitting out on the porch in the evenings with our friends was just what we wanted. One thing they could improve on is their breakfast that is available.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hello and thank you for your review of September 4. We are so pleased the accommodation suited your family so well. Maintaining the property is a group effort, however, the flowers are soley the expertise of the owner, Angelika, who breathes life into each petal! We take to heart each comment on where we can improve and hope you can let us know some of your ideas as to expanding our breakfast, short of cooking! Again, thank you for taking time to let others know about the Palmer House and we do hope to see you again.
Merrick, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Palmer House Resort in Manchester Vt., was just fabulous!!! We just stayed 4 nights in the The luxurious suites. The rooms were immaculate and very comfortable. Terrific accomodations!! The staff were so friendly, I really enjoyed talking with Ruth. She was so pleasant. The grounds are pristine and the outdoor pool was delightful. We played golf there too. Manicured greeens. So glad to see Wendell. We have been here many times and we will return. Thank you Palmer House for a wonderful relaxing vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jackie G
Thank you for taking the time to review the Palmer House. I apologize for the delay in our responding to you. It appears we no longer are getting notification from TripAdvisor when they come in...so I guess I got a bit spoiled! We are always happy to hear from our repeat guests and are very pleased when our staff goes over and beyond....which is easy to do with guests like you! We strive to keep up with the excellent standards you expect and extremely happy when you let us know we're doing it. We look forward to your return.
Tina
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed July 17, 2012

One of the best values in Manchester. Palmer House has a wonderful reputation for service, convenience to town and a welcoming atmosphere. We had a great time a the Palmer House. For me the best feature is the fountain and close walk to the town park. Wonderful.

1 Thank ReneR208
Thank you for your response of July 17. Please forgive the terrible delay in writing back to you...I just realized we are not being notified by Tripadvisor like we used to. It was delightful to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the fountain and town location! I love the pond with fountain too and incidentally, we have a few more fishing poles to choose from when you come again! Thank you for all the nice compliments!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We rented 1 room and 1 suite for family to stay while we were in Vermont for my father's funeral. The accomodations could not have been more cozy and comforting, The 2 room/2 bath suite above the office was great. I was concerned about possible noise from below but it was minimal.

Wow, this place was actually a full apartment where we were able to have little meals at the full dining table. We could relax in the living area with full sofa and comfy chair.
The bedrooms were larger than the ones I had at home. We appreciated each room having our own bath en suite. The only problem with this room is that the access is up some pretty steep stairs. My 90 year old mother only had to climb MT Everest (as we teased) her 3X with my husband and I right beside and behind her for safety. (Another room was offered but we chose to keep this lovely place.) I did not see the other room but got the report from my brother that it was great.

Tina, who took my reservation and was at the front desk, was very caring and conscientious about trying to accomodate our needs during an already difficult time.

I would not hesitate to stay at the Palmer House on my next return to the Manchester area.

We did not use any of the amenities of the resort other than lodging so I can not comment about the rest of the facility.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for taking the time to send in a review of the Palmer House. I apologize for the tardiness of this response as we are no longer getting notices from TripAdvisor when people write in and I'm just realizing that fact! But I was very pleased to hear you felt comforted because I am the same Tina you mentioned in your comment! (And I did worry about your mom on the stairs!) We will be delighted to have you and your family back, so return to us soon!
Very Sincerely Yours,
Belize
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We drove into Manchester without any reservations and decided to stay at the Palmer House after the front desk person went out of her way to offer us the best accomodation choice for four persons (two adults & two teenagers). The room #61 was located in an older house on the street side. We were pleasantly surprised at hour nice and well equipped the room was. This was actually the handicapped accessible room that came with a living room, two queen beds and a large bathroom.

We paid US$175, which is a pretty good value for four persons, when compared to other properties in the area. We never felt crowded in the room and really enjoyed our two day stay with them. Their property is large and included a small golf course, tennis court, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, small nature trail and pond. To top it off, they offer all the sporting equipment that you need to play around at no additional cost.

A continental breakfast was offered at $2.50 each. We never took them up on this offer, but at this price it's probably the best value in all of Manchester.

The hotel is located only a few minutes from town and the entire property is very clean and well kept. At the time of our visit the flowers were in full bloom and only added to our delightful stay.

I highly recommend this place and would definitely stay here upon my return.

1 Thank Bouloys
Hello and thank you for such a delightful (and lengthy) review! It was wonderful of you to take the time to be so thorough. I apologize in responding so late, we no longer are being notified of a Tripadvisor review so I was a bit spoiled before! However, it was good to hear that our staff went so out of their way, as is usually the case. I like room 61 also because of it's spaciousness as well as the screened-in porch! I hope you were able to take advantage of all of our ammenities offered on the grounds. And if not, then we hope you will upon your next stay! Thank you again and all the best.