“Comfort in a Time of Need”
Review of Palmer House

Palmer House
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Comfort in a Time of Need”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We rented 1 room and 1 suite for family to stay while we were in Vermont for my father's funeral. The accomodations could not have been more cozy and comforting, The 2 room/2 bath suite above the office was great. I was concerned about possible noise from below but it was minimal.

Wow, this place was actually a full apartment where we were able to have little meals at the full dining table. We could relax in the living area with full sofa and comfy chair.
The bedrooms were larger than the ones I had at home. We appreciated each room having our own bath en suite. The only problem with this room is that the access is up some pretty steep stairs. My 90 year old mother only had to climb MT Everest (as we teased) her 3X with my husband and I right beside and behind her for safety. (Another room was offered but we chose to keep this lovely place.) I did not see the other room but got the report from my brother that it was great.

Tina, who took my reservation and was at the front desk, was very caring and conscientious about trying to accomodate our needs during an already difficult time.

I would not hesitate to stay at the Palmer House on my next return to the Manchester area.

We did not use any of the amenities of the resort other than lodging so I can not comment about the rest of the facility.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hello and thank you for taking the time to send in a review of the Palmer House. I apologize for the tardiness of this response as we are no longer getting notices from TripAdvisor when people write in and I'm just realizing that fact! But I was very pleased to hear you felt comforted because I am the same Tina you mentioned in your comment! (And I did worry about your mom on the stairs!) We will be delighted to have you and your family back, so return to us soon!
Very Sincerely Yours,
Tina Fries

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Belize
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We drove into Manchester without any reservations and decided to stay at the Palmer House after the front desk person went out of her way to offer us the best accomodation choice for four persons (two adults & two teenagers). The room #61 was located in an older house on the street side. We were pleasantly surprised at hour nice and well equipped the room was. This was actually the handicapped accessible room that came with a living room, two queen beds and a large bathroom.

We paid US$175, which is a pretty good value for four persons, when compared to other properties in the area. We never felt crowded in the room and really enjoyed our two day stay with them. Their property is large and included a small golf course, tennis court, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, small nature trail and pond. To top it off, they offer all the sporting equipment that you need to play around at no additional cost.

A continental breakfast was offered at $2.50 each. We never took them up on this offer, but at this price it's probably the best value in all of Manchester.

The hotel is located only a few minutes from town and the entire property is very clean and well kept. At the time of our visit the flowers were in full bloom and only added to our delightful stay.

I highly recommend this place and would definitely stay here upon my return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bouloys
Hello and thank you for such a delightful (and lengthy) review! It was wonderful of you to take the time to be so thorough. I apologize in responding so late, we no longer are being notified of a Tripadvisor review so I was a bit spoiled before! However, it was good to hear that our staff went so out of their way, as is usually the case. I like room 61 also because of it's spaciousness as well as the screened-in porch! I hope you were able to take advantage of all of our ammenities offered on the grounds. And if not, then we hope you will upon your next stay! Thank you again and all the best.
Pearblossom, California, United States
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Palmer House is in a lovely setting with well-maintained buildings and grounds. There is an indoor lap pool and small fitness room, as well as an outdoor pool. The continental breakfast is just right. The staff is very friendly and willing to talk about the hotel and the area. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy L
Thank you for taking the time to review the Palmer House. I apologize for the late response but Tripadvisor is no longer advising us when a review comes in so I was a bit spoiled before! Being part of the staff, I thank you for the comment on our friendliness and I'm delighted to hear you plan on returning! It is, agreeably, a lovely property, one which the entire staff works hard at. We all will look forward to your next visit!
Stratford, CT
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very well maintainted classic Vermont motor inn. The rooms and grounds are perfect. Morning contential breakfast was convient and was the the Ye Old Tavern that is on the property. Had dinner there and it was good fare. Shopping is nearby.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CTTraveller441
Thank you so much for taking the time to send a review. Please forgive the tardy response, we have not been receiving notification from Tripadvisor as we have in the past. I'm very happy to hear you appreciated our well manicured property as well as the clean rooms. Our continental breakfast has proven just enough for the guest on the go and in particular, I was happy you could take advantage of the closeness of the Ye Olde Tavern to be able to walk to very fine dining! We do hope you will come stay with us again.
Floria
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We were looking last minute lodging for the night and, never having been to Manchester, we were very pleased to find a reasonable accomodation that was spotless, spacious, convenient and helpful, professional staff. The bed was very comfortable and A+ for clealiness. I prechecked the room and lifted the mattress. We had no idea there were so many amenties when we checked in about 7pm on a Thursday night. Left early the next am for MA. There was an ample continental breakfast for $2.50 on the honor system. We were in a hurry to get on our way to a destination so it suited our needs perfectly. There are certainly plenty of restaurants in the area for a substantial breakfast. Ye Old Tavern was one of 3 recommendations for dinner and we were extremely pleased with the ambiance, the food and wine. We had delicious lobster dinners. Our Room #11 was closer to the road and were advised it might be a little noisy from the traffic. To the contrary, it was very quiet! We would return if in the area.

Room Tip: This is a motel environment with amenities and there are two older homes to the front which have roo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frequentsrtraveler
Thank you so much for your response of June 19. Please forgive the very tardy reply as we have not been receiving notification from Tripadvisor as we have in the past. I was delighted to hear such rave reviews only to find out you were not even in one of our nicer rooms. So when you call back, and I certainly hope you will, please allow us to show you a finer side to the Palmer House. Thank you for taking the time to let others know about us. Also, very happy to hear how you enjoyed the Ye Olde Tavern....also one of our favorites!
Tina
Connecticut
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed in #75 which is a quiet end unit King suite overlooking the trout pond. The view from our deck/balcony was..well..a slice of Heaven! The suite was a pleasant surprise when we walked in. We never expected it to be so large and beautiful. By far, this has to be the loveliest place we have ever stayed in. It even had a 9-hole par 3 golf course! Also, a large indoor pool and hot tub, exercise room and locker room, as well as an outdoor pool. It is an easy walk over to the historic Ye Olde Tavern for dinner. We stayed at The Palmer House for our 16th anniversary and the weekend car show event. There is a path down by the trout pond leading over to the show field. The path on the left-hand side is the shortest. It is about a 15 to 20 minute walk. I did have some trouble with the over-stuffed bed pillows since I am petite. Our only regret is that we didn't stay longer!! There is always next year!

Room Tip: You may want to bring your favorite pillow. Also a pair of earplugs if you are a light sleeper as t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank itchintotravel
Tina F, Front Office Manager at Palmer House, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your review of June 11. jTerribly sorry to be so tardy in responding, we suddenly stopped getting review notices. However, I felt impelled to let you know how delighted we are to hear you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. And we agree, the Ye Olde Tavern is a must! We did hear from others that our pillows have not been the most popular so we have replaced them with "green" pillows that seem to be just the ticket! So come back and see us and tell us how we're doing!
Manlius
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in April for his birthday weekend. It is our second stay in their suites, and we were delighted once again. Quiet, spacious, comfortable, clean, romantic with lovely views and within walking distance of town. Plus, the rates in the offseason are very reasonable, especially considering what you get. We will be back! The only warning is that the beds -- or at least the bed in our room -- was super firm.

Room Tip: The suites are more than worth the extra money.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Tina F, reservations at Palmer House, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Palmer House. We are very happy to hear you chose to return to us for some quiet relaxation. Your appraisal of our Suites' spaciousness and cleanliness is very much appreciated. We do understand there are many different preferences as regards to firmness of a mattress, and although it is diifficult to please all, it is good for us to hear your feedback. On your next reservation (and we do hope you will come back!) please ask about options we may have to "soften" your stay with us. We always strive to do what it takes to please our repeat customers. And, again, thank you for letting us know your concerns.
Very sincerely yours,