“Thanksgiving”

The Inn at Ormsby Hill
Ranked #3 of 12 Manchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 7, 2010

My husband and I came to stay for four nights during Thanksgiving. It was a delayed honeymoon for us. The inn is beautiful and Ted and Chris are gracious and attentive hosts. Chris's food is phenomenal - I think I gained 5 pounds! But, our stay in the Tower Room was private, romantic, and luxurious. We loved our vacation!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
ormsbyhill, Owner at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2011

Thank you so much for spending your delayed honeymoon at Ormsby Hill - and we are hoping that you have lost those five pounds!!!! Looking forward to your return on your first anniversary.

Reviewed November 24, 2010

Prompt, courteous and genuinely friendly hosts. Rooms are individually named and are tastefully furnished in traditional colonial style. Many little extras are provided in rooms. These include books, magazines, games and items of historical interest. One felt timelessly enveloped in a beautifully maintained New England Country Home of yesteryear.
Located in a rural setting overlooking rolling hills but close enough for convenient access to the center of Manchester, its tasteful stores, restaurants and ski areas. I particularly liked the provision of a binder with information and menus from recommended local restaurants. The buffet breakfast is fine and you can sign up for delectable home-cooked additions.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
ormsbyhill, Owner at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2010

Thank you so much for your review of our inn. Only words such as yours can truly help the traveling public when trying to find the perfect place for them. Looking forward to your return.

Reviewed November 2, 2010

I am writing this review with trepidation as I don't want too much competition for the 10 beautiful rooms that this Inn has to offer the next time I want to book there. My husband and I spent two lovely nights on October 17th and 18th. On the 17th, we stayed in the Anna Eliza room. This room was decorated in blues, had a queen size canopy bed and a fireplace that could be seen from both the bedroom and bathroom. Bathroom had a jacuzzi tub which was great for soaking and relaxing. On the 18th we moved to the Tower room as we booked last minute. This room was truly unique. First floor had a tiny writing desk tucked away, second floor had queen size canopy bed and loveseat and wing chair near the gas fireplace, third floor was the bathroom. The fabrics in this room reminded me of the fall colors that we also enjoyed in the leaves on the trees. Windows on the second and third floor give you a 360 degree view of the surroundings. Really enjoyed just curling up with a good book in front of the fire with my hubby. Breakfasts were out of this world! Chris is a fantastic cook. Oh and breakfast is followed by a yummy dessert so save some room. We were so full both days that we didn't eat again till dinner. No room for lunch. Chris and Ted were very friendly hosts and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
ormsbyhill, Owner at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2010

We hope we always have a room for you when you call -- and, hopefully, next time you won't have to "sleep around." Thank you so very much for your review.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

After 5 years of going back to the Inn at Ormsby Hill in Vermont, there is something to be said for consistency. Our experience each time we return to this wonderful place has been nothing short of splendid.

While one can dwell on the fabulous breakfasts, the outstanding accommodations and the graciousness of the hosts, it is not just these features that make the overall feeling second to none. Clearly, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Each fall season, we look forward to, once again, experiencing Vermont while staying at a place that is like no other. We have tried other places in the area, we cannot imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Repeat guests such as yourselves continue to fill us with gratitude. We cannot thank you enough for your words of you'll never find a better place to stay. We look forward to your visit next Fall and promise to be that place like none other.

Reviewed October 5, 2010

My wife and I stayed in beautiful Manchester Vermont for our anniversary in May at the Equinox Resort. Looking for a more "Vermont" country style experience that would still be refined we toured the area looking for a place that we could come back to. We stopped at the Inn at Ormsby Hill and found it to be a charming place. When we got back home I called and made a reservation with Ted for three rooms for four nights (not cheap). He asked me the usual questions including how old my children were. There was no problem, he took my reservation and my money (50% deposit). A week before we were going to travel I called to check about Wi-Fi and to see if they could make pancakes for our son. When asked again how old my son was, the woman on the phone (Chris) was incredulous that I was bringing a four year old. She also said that she never made a pancake in her life and didn't know how, but she is a gourmet chef.
Later I get a call back from Ted and I can't get a word in edge-wise because he talks overtop of me about how he never would have allowed a reservation with a four year old and that I should have known that this place was inappropriate for children. Firstly, he asked when I made the reservation and I told him the ages. Clearly I would not have lied and tried to slip a four year old child in as a teenager. Secondly, I toured the inn and there are slinkys and etch-a-sketches in each room as well as stuffed animals. There are even childrens bath toys as an added room ammenity. Hardly the stuff of old crowd refinement.
In the end he refused to return our deposit of more than $2400 because I was calling seven days before and our trip also refused to allow us to stay there unless we kept our child in the room at all times and our trip was ruined. Seriously. These people are either mentally ill or just plain crooked.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank Tohickon
ormsbyhill, Owner at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2010

On October 5th, Chris received a call from this gentleman who wanted to talk about "breakfast." He said that his sons were simple eaters and would like pancakes for breakfast. I told him that I have never made pancakes and we are known for our gourmet dining (I do not understand the correlation between being a good cook and making pancakes). I explained how we did breakfast and asked if our buffet would accommodate his sons. He said something about his "little one" - which sent up a red flag. I then asked him how old his son was and he said 4. I explained that we did not take small children; was actually shocked that he was staying with us, and asked him about his reservation. When I pulled out the reservation slip, I noticed that Ted had taken the reservation. I asked him if he told Ted that he was bringing a 4 year old, and he said yes and Ted had agreed to take his 4 year old. I told him that in 23 years we had never taken young children and I could not imagine Ted had agreed. I told him Ted would call him back and resolve this matter. We are a romantic, adult getaway, and have never taken children. Ted called him back and said that he absolutely did NOT tell him that we would take a 4 year old. It makes no sense we would not honor our children policy just to get rooms - especially during peak/foliage time. We only take older, well-behaved children, as noted on our website. The cancellation policy is extremely clear. In spite of not taking children, at this late date we tried to resolve the situation by serving breakfast to them in the two-room suite they rented. He said our compromise was unacceptable. He was trying to talk over Ted when Ted was speaking and instead of waiting for Ted to finish, he hung up. We could not have a 4 year old running around the dining room/inn. Regarding the etch-a-sketches, slinkys and rubber ducks on the jacuzzis - our guests are of all ages, young at heart, and appreciate the whimsy. The stuffed animals are part of our gift store - not in the rooms - and not a haven for a 4 year old. We are neither mentally ill or crooked, nor did we ever lie to him. We are innkeepers who care deeply about our guests. What would be the response of our other guests who may have quite likely chosen Ormsby Hill because it is an adult environment? Then the reviews on TripAdvisor would be "How Come We Couldn't Bring Our Children When There Was a 4-Year Old Running Around?" or "I Was Offended Because There Was a 4-Year Old Running Around." As unpleasant as this has been, we must uphold our standards and be true to the Ormsby Hill experience.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

Ted and Chris Sprague are outstanding hosts and created a home away from home for us in our visit to Vermont. The Frances Room was comfortable, cheery, well decorated, and furnished with awesome furnishings. The Spragues take considerable interest in all their guests and make each of their stays very relaxing.
Chris is an unbelieveably talented chef and provides the guests with delicious culinary treats.
It is obvious the Spragues take great pride in the property. Our room was made up early each day and there was coffee, cocoa, and tea available 24 hours a day for the guests to savor.
My wife and I would highly recommend this Inn to all considering a stay in Manchester - and the Spragues are very dedicated and professional inn keepers.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
ormsbyhill, Owner at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2010

Thank you so much for your thoughtful words. We especially like the "...home away from home." We ARE welcoming guests into our home, and are very happy when their comforts are met.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

The Inn was very picturesque with several areas that one could relax and read a book. The owners were very accommodating and the breakfast was superb. The double fireplace in the bedroom was nice as was the jacuzzi tub for two (with a CD player and CDs furnished for guests). Truly a piece of New England and located right next to Hildene (Robert Todd Lincoln's homestead).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

We are so humbled by, and thankful for, all the comments our guests leave for us. Words cannot express our appreciation.