“Excellent B&B to spend a Vermont Weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn at Ormsby Hill

The Inn at Ormsby Hill
Ranked #2 of 12 Manchester B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent B&B to spend a Vermont Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2009

My wife and I spent a long weekend here and had a spectacular time. Our room was perfect and even had a working fireplace and a jacuzzi tub, which was great to come back to after a day of skiing. The inn itself is a well-kept charming old house and you can tell that the owners take terrific pride in it as well as the breakfast that they serve. Be sure to sign up for the hot breakfasts because they are not to be missed.

• Liked — The room and the breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2008

This is an exceptionally well-run inn. Owners Chris (the wife) and Ted pay a world of attention to every little detail. I read with amusement another reviewer's assessment that the owners are in the wrong business because they didn't sit down and gab with the guests at breakfast. First of all, they are running a business, not a "love-in." They definitely are friendly people,... but they are also very busy. Chris cooks the wonderful breakfasts and Ted serves them. Doesn't leave too much time for idle banter. But catch either owner at a slow period and you can have a pleasant. relaxed chat. We stayed here for three nights over the Thanksgiving holiday and found virtually nothing to complain about. The food was great. The atmosphere was romantic. The place was spotless. The maid service was excellent. And everything worked!!!! (jacuzzi, fireplace, TV, cd player, etc,) I would, however, strongly recommend that guests sign up for the hot breakfast, which is served at 9 a.m. Chris serves up mouth-watering dishes, such as omelets, quiches, french toast, etc. If you don't sign up (the prior evening) you'll be confined in the mornging to a very ordinary cold breakfast of cereal, cake, fruit salad, englisd muffin, etc.

• Liked — Atmosphere, food, room.
  • Disliked — nothing, really.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2008

My wife and I recently stayed two nights at The Inn at Ormsby Hill. The Inn facilities and grounds were just as described and expected. However, I'm just not sure the innkeepers have their priorities in order and are focused on their guests. Our stay didn't start well, when we called the Inn in the late evening for directions, and Ted Sprague answered, and when we indicated we were lost, but thought we were nearby - he responded with silence. When we asked if he needed to know where we thought we were, he merely answered "yes, that would be helpful".

When we finally located the Inn, my wife had just about had enough of travelling for that day. As such, she stayed in the car, while I checked us in. Ted Sprague greeted me inside (with a handshake) and when he asked where my wife was, I told him that she was pretty well worn out, and she preferred to wait in the car. At that point, rather than check us in, Ted insisted that I bring my wife in, so that he could go over the layout of the facilities and how breakfast was conducted. When I mentioned that she just wasn't up to it, Ted was insistent, and indicated that with couples checking in, "this was the way we do it". I dutifully went out to the car and informed my wife that her presence inside was required (much to her obvious surprise and amazement). The rest of the check-in went well and our room was very nice.

Our breakfast the next morning, (French Toast w/citrus sauce), while visually appealing, was inedible due to being underdone. We saw at least 4-5 other guests eat less than half their portions. Strangely, there was no inquiry from Ted or Chris on why so many guests were not actually eating their breakfasts.The next day we only ate from the continental breakfast, which was quite good. Speaking with another couple from Phoenix, who were having their third breakfast, also noted that breakfasts from the two prior days were mostly inedible, and said they also observed many portions from other guests being cleared away uneaten. I understand that Chris Sprague enjoys the reputation of being a chef, but I guess a reminder that she is cooking not to suit her tastes, but the tastes of her guests may be needed from time-to-time.

We also noted that Ted Sprague seemed inordinately concerned with the maintenance and upkeep of the facility and furniture, to the apparent disregard of the welfare of the guests. In some regards, it was a little bit like staying and eating in a museum, where you really couldn't relax and feel like you could make yourself at home, out of concern for moving something out of place or leaving a water spot on the dining room tables. We heard stories from other guests, which are hearsay and as they were not experienced firsthand, won’t be shared - but suggested a pattern noticed by others.

In writing this review and beforehand reading reviews posted on this travel website and others about the Inn, I noted an incredible dichotomy of the opinions expressed by the lodgers, which almost suggested that The Inn at Ormsby Hill and the Spragues were more possibly residents of Stepford, rather than Manchester - given the nearly Jekyl and Hyde demeanor described as being demonstrated by the innkeepers. Like other reviewers, I would have to agree that hospitality extended by the innkeepers apparently runs hot and cold. If you book a stay at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, hopefully the hospitality will be running "warm" for you.

• Liked — The facilities, grounds, room and other amenities.
  • Disliked — Indifferent attitude by the innkeepers and less-than appealing nature of the breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank CDobyns
Palm Desert
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

The inn is a perfect location for anyone going to a wedding at "Hildene". It's about a block from the event parking lot exit. The rooms, common areas and grounds could not be nicer. The breakfasts are a gourmet delight. The bread pudding and fresh berrries were a wonderful treat!

Ted and Chris have been in the B&B business for over 20 years. This is evident in their attention to detail and the efficiency they apply to every aspect of the inn. Clearly they see this enterprise as a " business" rather than an opportunity to develop relationships with their guests. It's perfectly acceptable to demonstrate that famous "New England reserve". Many guests prefer to be left alone, as the past comments have shown.

It's not acceptable, however, to create an atmosphere in which your guests feel uncomfortable. The first night I arrived I messed up the sign up sheet for breakfast. Ted scratched it out and told me I had done it incorrectly. That evening he was unwilling to make any recommendations for dinner, saying that it was personal taste and he didn't know what kind of food people liked. I talked to one of the other guests who felt nervous about being late for breakfast, sensing that it would be unacceptable.

There is a beautiful patio overlooking the backyard. Guests are not allowed to eat their breakfast outside. There is an overall feeling that you don't want to "break the rules".

I must admit that I'm still a little angry about my last interaction with my host. I asked if I could use the computer to comfirm my flight. Ted told me that he would do it for me. The next morning he offered to take care of it before it got too busy. I also asked him for directions to the airport. He told me go the reverse of the trip there. He rattled off some quick instructions, which I copied down and read back to him. I thought about asking him to print out the MapQuest directions, but was afraid to insult him, by questioning his directions. Due to his unwillingness to give us the assistance we needed, we almost missed our flight. We did not have adequate route numbers to find the Albany airport. Be sure that you have all the information you need before you leave home, since there is no computer available to you and an innkeeper who sends you on your way with little concern about your stay or getting to your next destination safely.

• Liked — The bed was very comfortable. Great bathroom with whirlpool tub. The other guests.
  • Disliked — I prefer friendlier hosts at a bed and breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank KathyTravel
Albany, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

Wanting to surprise my husband with a relaxing, stress-free weekend for father's day, we capitalized on a great special the inn was having for that weekend - what we ended up getting was exactly what the doctor ordered - we had an absolutely wonderful time, our newly found friends that were our 'breakfast buddies' were friendly, warm and up for some good conversation over breakfast, weekend weather couldn't have been better, room and jacuzzi were great and, all things considered - we couldn't have been more relaxed and stressful if we tried - which we didn't really have to do - you just get that feeling from being here. Not sure why so many other critics knock the innkeepers - I found both Ted and Chris to be exactly the way innkeepers should be - around when needed but inconspicious otherwise, helpful but not in an offensive way, warm and always with a smile and the breakfasts are absolutely 'to die for' - definitely worth a repeat trip - we've already been there for spring and summer - perhaps winter will be our next venture?

• Liked — breakfast definitely!
  • Disliked — room a bit too small
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sthomas0616
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2008

While one can really only speak from ones own experience, I do wish to make a comment regarding another couples experience, on the weekend of April 19, 2008 at the Inn. The Inn is a magnificently restored house in Manchester Vt. on a winding road, just outside the town center with long views of the mountains. No expense was spared in the restoration, while still maintaining the historic character of the Inn. The public and guest rooms are individually unique, beautifully decorated and always spotless. We have visited several times, and always found the innkeepers or their staff, to be warm and helpful. This particular weekend there were lively conversations among the guests, both mornings while Ted discreetly served the multi coursed delicious breakfast. Chris came in from the kitchen at one point to make us aware of the brand new recipe she was trying out for us.
An innkeeper walks a fine line, as to either being a part of guest conversations, or remaining in the background, so as not to be intrusive. We have stayed at inns where we wished the innkeeper would disappear and let us eat and converse in peace, as we are not looking for entertainment or constant hovering.
However, what we like is to be pleasantly welcomed, well fed, and helped out in activities or dinner reservations, and we have always experienced this from Chris and Ted. I want to note here, that we were on a return visit, graciously extended for a six month period, as we had to cancel the day of our prior arrival due to a death in the family. They showed concern and a welcome back to us and we value that loyalty.
This was our experience.
PM & GM

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PMandGM
NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

I still cannot get past how the Inn Keepers could not manage a smile, "Welcome" or "Good Morning" during our stay. While the guests were very diverse everyone was open and friendly creating a pleasent atmosphere, at no time did Ted even break a smile or say a word during breakfast. His stone face did serve his guests but how much does a smile cost? We never even saw Chris and this was slow season. A quick pop out of the kitchen to say "Hey" would not have too much to ask. The room was fine but very warm at night with no hope of a fan since the thought of talking to the nearly non-existant Keepers was way too stressful. We spent the vast majority of our time away from the Inn and we were still amazed at how unfriendly the Keepers acted. This was not a couple of folks having a rough weekend. We, and the other guests, were treated as an imposition. We were also never asked how our stay had been. They could care less as long as the charge goes through. Do yourself a favor and find a different B&B or Inn for your special getaway.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Inn Keepers
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple