“Wonderful Escape!”

The Inn at Ormsby Hill
Ranked #3 of 11 Manchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I'll start by saying our stay here was too short lived. We drove up from Boston for one night this past week (November 2nd). We had such a nice stay and found ourselves wishing we had reserved more time (next time!!!). From the moment you enter the Inn you feel the warmth of it's New England charm. The common areas are abundant. The architecture and decor of this of this Inn is one that you will admire. Yoshio greeted us upon arrival and gave us a tour of the facilites and overview of the amenities. These innkeepers have thought of all the little touches (snacks in dining area, early morning coffee, easily accessible mini frig with bottle waters and ice, local menus, and charm of active fireplaces). The patio and porch seemed so inviting....we didn't get to take advantage of them, but the view is spectacular and I can only imagine how wonderful it is in the spring and fall during foliage season!
We stayed in the Anna Eliza room. Again, here the same charm followed thru. The bed was so comfortable....room was nicely decorated. There's a two sided fireplace which is a nice touch. they offer some of the luxuries that I tend to think of a hotel......toiletries, robes. Nice touches were the candle by the jacuzzi and a 'stash' in the top drawer of things you may find yourself having forgetten or needing (needle and thread, toothpaste, shaving cream...etc).
Breakfast did not disappoint. I'm not a gourmet, but I felt that I was been treated to luxurious spread. Again, here, the dining room was so warm and welcoming in the morning. It has vast windows that overlook the mountains. The room was beaming with morning sunshine. I'm not going to do justice in describing the meal, but we had a nice fruit bowl, freshly baked japanese milk bread with a homemade maple butter (yum!), a goat cheese stratta drizzed with a raspberry sauce accompanied by homemade japanese sausage. Everything was delightful!!! Diane made a point to greet everyone at breakfast which I thought was a very nice touch :)
I don't think anyone could be disappointed staying here.........thank you to Diane and Yoshio for the experience. We'll be back!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Diane E, Owner at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your beautifully written review. We are grateful you were wonderful guests, and for helping us grow our business. Please come back again!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I wanted a regional stress-free getaway from Syracuse after our wedding and chose VT in the fall. We found the Inn on the Select Registry and the photos won us over along with the 4 Diamond rating and Breakfast reviews. Let's face it...who doesn't like a phenomenal breakfast?! We stayed at the Ann Elisa (sp?) room which was just the right amount of space and super cozy. The fireplace was awesome and double-sided to see from the bed and the bathroom. Jacuzzi tub was great as well :). The toiletries were organic which is a nice touch and the robes...my goodness, i could have spent all week in those robes LOL. Back to the breakfast. Organic & Local whenever possible. Great coffee and Diane even made me a half-carafe of decaf (say that 3 times quickly haha) every morning. They also catered to my gluten-free diet with an amazing banana bread and chocolate chip cookies during the afternoon. We were extremely happy to say the least by the accomodations and the friends we made with the Innkeepers, Diane and Yoshio. I would recommend this place hands-down for a couples getaway in the Manchester Valley.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Diane E, Owner at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Wow! This is an amazing review. Thank you so much. You were very special and wonderful guests, and we are honored you chose to stay with us on your honeymoon. Wishing you the happiest life.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

It was our first time back to Vermont in 20 years and definitely pick one of the Best B and B
We stayed at the Inn October 26 27 In the Pierrepout Room Which is on the second floor back of the Inn it has a great view of the mountains, The room has a king-size bed which is very comfortable, our room and Inn are very clean.
The Inn gives you that Country feeling Throughout , has 3 fireplaces on the first floor which were on since it was cold that weekend ,breakfast room has a beautiful view of the gardens and the mountains. Breakfast Was delicious, Also a great touch when you come back from dinner in the breakfast room they have coffee, tea and homemade cookies
Diane and Yoshio are great Hosts very friendly and have a lot of information about places to eat and things to do,
the rest of the staff are also very nice
Can't wait to go back will definitely be staying at The Inn at Ormsby Hill on our next trip back to Vermont

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so happy you came back to Vermont after such a long absence. Thank you for your wonderful words. We hope to see you MUCH sooner than last time.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights during our New England roundtrip this fall.
We already recognized on the website that it is a luxury thing, but in reality it was even better...
We stayed in the Taft Suite, which is really spacy, comfortable and, of course, very beautiful.
Including wood-burning fireplace, jacuzzi, audio system, steam shower etc., it was so far the one of the most luxury accomodations we have ever been.
The Inn itself is very nice and comfortable, the garden with a beautiful view on the mountains.
Big and tasty breakfast in a comfortable and bright room.
Manchester / Hildene is 1 Minute by car, there are a lot of things to see in and around Manchester.
The hosts, Yoshio and Diane, are very very friendly and helpful - perfect!
Summary: Champions-League

Room Tip: Taft Suite is very impressive
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Diane E, Owner at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

We are so glad you had a wonderful stay, and took advantage of all we, and the area have to offer. Wishing you many more happy getaways.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I decided we wanted a fall Vermont weekend--so I began the research and here were some of my factors.
I didn't want to drive over 4hrs for a weekend-
Wanted a B&B
Didn't want a B&B which had a restaurant since I wanted peace & quiet at night

The Inn at Ormsby Hill was fantastic. Inn and rooms are beautiful, owners and staff are friendly and helpful and had a wonderful breakfast and many special touches.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Diane E, Owner at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

I'm so happy we met all your requirements and you chose us for your getaway. Thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

If you are looking for a wonderful place to lay your head in Manchester, Vermont, this is the place to go. The Inn is clean and the rooms are wonderfully appointed. The home-made bread was delicious but I wasn't thrilled with the breakfast casserole. I certainly wouldn't hold that against them. The hosts, Diane and Yoshio, are lovely so is the rest of the staff. When we called to make a reservation we mentioned to the woman where we were going the next day, when we arrived there was a map and further info waiting for us - we didn't even ask! We would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Diane E, Owner at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. I'm sorry you didn't like the breakfast entree, but am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I along with 3 other couples stayed at this fabulous B&B last weekend and I felt I would be remiss if I didn't share our wonderful experience with other prospective guests. We have traveled extensively throughout southern Vermont and have stayed at over 10 different inns over the years - this place has it all over the rest and at a reasonable price. We've found that while each inn has something special there's usually some drawback to be found (location, appointment of rooms, few common areas, limiting grounds, etc); Diane and Yoshio (innkeepers for the past 14 months) seem to have the magic formula for creating the most inviting and romantic atmosphere amidst a backdrop of beautifully maintained grounds and well appointed guest rooms and common areas. While maintaining an unassuming presence they cater to their guests every need and whim and have thought of every amenity to make your stay one you won't soon forget!! The inn is immaculately maintained by their cheerful and very capable staff and breakfasts are made with the freshest of ingredients - some handpicked by Diane in her gardens. Quite a culinary delight!!

While my husband and I stayed in the Lincoln Room (and by the way as noted in other reviews we were not at all bothered by noise from the road as there is very little traffic at night) our friends in three other rooms (Thompson Purdy, Pierrpont and Gideon Ormsby) were equally thrilled with their accommodations). The whirlpool tubs for two, fireplaces and comfy beds, linens and robes were all luxurious treats - not to mention the bath salts, candle and matches left by the jacuzzi (nice touch!!) Did I not say they think of everything??

Overall, I cannot say enough good things about this inn and if you plan on visiting Southern Vermont - look no further than The Inn at Ormsby Hill - I promise you won't be disappointed! The only disappointment is leaving!! All 3 couples we traveled with have agreed we'll be back in the near future!! We hope that Diane and Yoshio will call this place "home" for several more years as coming back to this inn will feel like "home" to all who return!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Diane E, Owner at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for this wonderful review. More importantly, thank you for being kind, inclusive, gracious guests. Everyone in the house had a great time during your visit. We hope to see you again soon.