“Great getaway”

Ranked #2 of 12 Manchester B&B and Inns
massachusetts
“Great getaway”
Reviewed December 5, 2007

My husband and I joined friends that had stayed here before for a relaxing weekend at the inn. The rooms were beautiful, the food was excellent, and the innkeepers friendly. Ted and Chris spent time with us at breakfast giving us the history of the inn and insights in how some of the decor was chosen (did you notice all the rabbits?) We had a great time and would definitely return.

Stayed November 2007
3 Thank noftwinkle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Sayville, NY
Reviewed October 29, 2007

First time on this site and from Reading some of the Reviews I think that some of the people stayed in a different Inn....I understand there are a lot of them in Vermont and one could get confused. My wife and have been going to Ormsby for the past few years and we are confused about people's problems with "RULES" and "ICY " personalities of the inn keepers. Lets clear up something right away. This is an INN not a B&B where maybe u have 3 or 4 rooms tops. It is a great responsibility caring for all your guests needs and if you've been there more than once you will see that this New England Beauty has remained an Elegant, Warm and Friendly place over the years. This place is booked all the time. It has a steady flow of people of all ages Mon-Sun. The rooms are very clean, all the meals are cooked with delicious care, the freshly baked cookies in each room each day are a unique treat. All this and Chris and Ted still manage to interact with all the guests & play with their pup Quincy. The service at breakfast is excellent!!!! I've been in a lot of Inns & B&B's in the U.S. and Europe....no Inn keeper has ever come over to refill my coffee 4 times during a meal & hang around to help first timers find their way around the popular local events. I'm Still confused on the "rules". Unless your speaking about putting a coaster under your drink or coffee? Hate to see what your tabletops at home look like. Signing up for breakfast...pretty standard in any place that has a great home cooked meal...and I'm not talking about donuts & cereal. (however those are available too) What you forgot to sign up for breakfast?...do what we did...call from the road. No sense in wasting food for people that are not going to eat it.
Two weeks ago during the height of the "busy" season my wife and I had our best stay there. Both Ted and Chris hung out with us at breakfast and had the entire dining room laughing. As far as Icy personalities....guess you got them on a bad day. I'm sure that the people who wrote that review NEVER HAVE A BAD DAY....hmmmm wonder what its like to be happy...smiley and cheerful 365 days a year, while running your own successful business. Yeah...exactly! We got to hangout with their playful pup Quincy and the Breakfast portions on Saturday & Sunday were huge. Most Inns and B&B's put out a tray of Quiche. Not Ted & Chris. Try large portion of fresh French Toast with a orange marmalade glaze...and for desert...yes desert guess your gonna have to go to find out...but it was GREAT! I didnt have to eat again until dinner.
JUST DO NOT KNOW WHY YOU'D STAY ANYWHERE ELSE IN VERMONT. Visit the Lincoln Room....its our favorite!!!! Make sure you say hi to Ted, Chris, Quincy & Caitlin.
Mike Sayville, NY

• Liked — The Warm homey feel of the Inn....Great Meals made fresh. Great rooms with Sauna & Hot Tub.
  • Disliked — Its far from home and we cannot get there as often as we would like.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LIVELAUGHANDSMILE
connecticut
Reviewed October 24, 2007

We have traveled many times to Manchester and have stayed in many delightful inns but this property, The Inn at Ormsby Hill, was most disappointing. We will never return unless the inn has a change of ownership. The property and house are very beautiful but, the innkeepers should consider another profession. They were rude and very inattentive to their guests.
In order to receive breakfast beyond granola and 2-3 day old pumpkin loaf you are required to sign up before 8pm - and must be seated in the dining room with all the other guests by 9am sharp! Is this camp or a very expensive VT inn? When I arrived at my designated seat at 9:07 the innkeeper dropped a plate heaped with a uneatable mound of carmalized onion, spinach cheese frittata type dish and said "This still may be somewhat warm'. Unbelievable....I was being penalized for not being in my seat at 9am...and I was never offered coffee or anything to drink - $300 a night and this is how a guest is treated. Other very disappointing experiences included, lukewarm water for tea in the dining room in the evening (and no milk available for the tea), extremely noisy and warm rooms - the noise from traffic on route 7a, poor breakfast food and very inattentive and extremely rude innkeepers. We were traveling with another couple and they were equally as disappointed and shocked with how rude the innkeepers were. An expensive mistake.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank jel3
Thompson, CT
Reviewed October 23, 2007

A very disappointing experience. My husband and I were very uncomfortable staying here, and I agree with all the negative reviews posted on this site. Some of the positive reviews mention "respecting someone's home". Please let me point out that an Inn is a place where people pay (in this case quite dearly) to relax, enjoy the surroundings, and, while as a matter of course, people are generally very respectful, I think having all of these precious antiques in a public area is unwise, and makes guests nervous and uncomforable should there be a mishap of any kind. Guests should really be given the benefit of the doubt when they are paying $400 per night . The vast majority of us do not need to be and don't appreciate being told how to conduct ourselves.

The first morning, I dressed and went down to the conservatory at 6:45 as Ted had informed me that coffee is usually there at 6:30. I encountered Chris (apparently I startled her) and she informed me that there would be no coffee for another hour. Wow. $2000. for 5 days, and I can't get coffee????

The room was very small, overfurnished and stuffy (they removed the air conditioning just before we arrived). Ted mentioned to us that the mattress "may need replacing based on a complaint from a guest, but he and Chris would see for themselves once the busy season was over". Let me tell you all, I woke up with a roaring backache every day for the 5 days I stayed there. The mattress was shot.

The Innkeepers were rarely visable, and I didn't witness any interaction between them and their guests. Wnen we checked out, nobody asked us how we enjoyed our stay. I guess nobody cared.

There are many fine inns (I know from experience) in the Manchester area that far surpass anything you'll find at Ormsby Hill.

• Liked — The conservatory and sitting room was nicely decorated
  • Disliked — Everything else - terribly overpriced room, attention to detail was nonexistent, uncomfortable atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GSB-Thompson
Longmeadow
Reviewed October 12, 2007

My husband surprised me by taking me to the Inn at Ormsby Hill for my birthday. It was the most amazing get-away I have ever experienced. Every room was decorated beautifully -- it was was so inviting and we felt relaxed from the moment we entered. The bed was so comfortable that we slept so late one morning and almost missed breakfast -- you don't find beds like this in a hotel. The double shower and corner jacuzzi in our room was both romantic and clean! My husband still raves about the breakfasts! I think the room rates are a little pricey, but definitely well worth it. The hosts are super-friendly and knowledgeable about the area. I especially appreciated this because we learned about remote hiking trails on Mount Equinox -- and views of the mountain ranges were breath-taking from our room! The only negative comment I can make is that the use of the in-room fireplace is seasonal, and we weren't able to use it. We solved this problem by making another reseravation in November! I can't wait to return every season! The Inn and Vermont are beautiful...

• Liked — The hospitality of the owners and the relaxing environment -- and the double shower and jacuzzi.
  • Disliked — I loved everything about the inn...
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pnelson0924
NJ
Reviewed October 6, 2007

My husband and I travel and stay at fine hotels and B&B's. Our trip to thi sarea necessitated a reservation at this recommended inn. our friends from the UK flew in as well. the rooms were lovely as was the location but the innkeepers were about as unfriendly as we have ever met. During breakfast, a traveler placed his coffee cup on the dining table and was scolded by the grouchy owner. I was aghast. The next day, our friends and my husband and I spent a wonderful day scouting the lovely villages of VT and forgot to " sign up" for breakfast. In the morning, they innkeepers were only able to offer us toast.....for $379 per night! I still can't get over it....

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — inn keepers
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank xmasgirl
Tyrone, GA
Reviewed October 2, 2007

My wife & I are frequent guests at Inns and B&B's across the country and we have found few which rival the Inn at Ormsby Hill. Ted, Chris and Kaitlyn go out of their way to make each guest feel welcome. The Inn itself is immaculate and whimsically decorated. Our room,(the Gideon Ormsby) was everything we could have desired, down to the rubber ducks in the whirlpool tub.
Breakfast was an event, including a desert. The views from the patio are of the Green Mountains and the grounds are very well maintained. We will definitely be future guests at this Inn.

• Liked — Ambiance, friendliness, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Musickhound
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
#6 of 16 in Manchester
Wilburton Inn
Wilburton Inn
#3 of 12 in Manchester

Been to The Inn at Ormsby Hill? Share your experiences!