“Beware the 1811 House”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of 1811 House

1811 House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manchester
1811 House
Ranked #12 of 12 Manchester B&B and Inns
“Beware the 1811 House”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

I booked a special night away at the Equinox and, after seeing pictures online, decided on a room at the 1811 House- part of the Inns at the Equinox. On check in we discovered that the 1811 House is extremely rustic- low ceilings, very shabby furnishings, and quiet to the point of creepy. From photos I expected quaintness and antiques, but I must stress that it really felt old and desolate and not in any way like the resort itself. The front desk did their best to change our accommodations but, unfortunately, all that remained was a room in the townhouses, which was basically
like staying in a Motel 6.

Again, the staff was lovely and did their best to change things last minute on a busy weekend. I only wish the hotel website had been more forthcoming about what to expect from the 1811 House.

The spa is luxurious. Great massage with Wendy. Lovely hotel in every other respect. Incidentally, lots and lots of families and young kids (no problem for me).

• Stayed January 2012
5 Thank Sovermom

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

We were expecting an older historic home, but we were not expecting cold showers, a shower head that felt like it came off a power washer, only hot water in the sink, old mattress with no support, and no staff in the house to provide assistance or answer questions. Bringing these things to the attention of the registration desk upon our departure resulted in this explanation: "Well, it's an old house.". Yes, an old house for which they are charging a great deal, but providing as little as possible. If they are going to continue to book stays, they need to keep it maintained. They should also stop advertising it as something it isn't.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank patn09

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

South Deerfield, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

I traveled to the Cottage with my elderly mom, who is disabled. This accommodation is not for someone in that situation. I purchased this stay via Groupon and was not aware I was buying something less than what the Equinox had previously demonstrated to me in the way of luxurious accommodations. The Manager who wrote me back when I voiced my complaints said "Our GroupOn rooms are reserved exclusively for our Inns at Equinox, and are not for our Luxury Collection guest rooms. This allows an affordable option to experience the Resort amenities, including our award winning spa and golf course, yet at a lower price-point for a guest room. Since our 1811 house is in its original condition, it is treated differently by local ordinances for accessibility - Having said this, our local fire ordinance does require us to remove the canopy from the bed." None of these tidbits were in the Groupon offer, which I assume was written in conjunction with the Hotel. I love antiques. I also love internet (which did not work ) I guess I just expected more from an inn affiliated with a Hotel in the class of the Equinox. Live and Learn, and Be wary- especially as we age and become less spry. I guess I am at fault as well - for not asking enough questions.

Room Tip: The Cottage is not accessible, and the internet was flaky. Stay in the Main hotel, (which I have bef...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank datkat99
LeRoy, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

Just completed a stay at the 1811 House in Manchester, VT w/ two other coules- We stayed in the cottage, so we had the whole building, as it has three rooms- This building was very old (creaky floors, antique furnishings, etc.) but very quaint- It was perfect for three couples of the same family- Each had a very nice (clean and large) bathroom, working fireplace, and comfortable bed- It was located across from the Equinox resort- For those who heard about the 1811 House previously, there have been some changes since the Equinox took it over- There is no more breakfast (as in a B & B), there is no more operating pub (the room is located in the main house and is a must see- there is coffee there), and there are no more homemade chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon- However, the accomodations are still very nice- The only problem we had w/ our experience was with the Equinox reservation/check-out process- While everyone I spoke/dealt with were very courteous and tried to help, the competence level was indicative of very young people starting out in a new job- When first booking, they first "lost" my reservation- When rebooking, they sent me confirmation letters w/ the wrong information (higher price)-When getting close (two weeks) to our visit, I found they had one room incorrectly booked in a different building- When checking out, it took me another hour to straighten things out (their computers were down)- I am anxiously waiting to see what my credit card bill will finally reflect- While I would stay here again, I would be very mindful about these issues (there were also some nice other inns in the area I might try)- By the way, the Equinox itself was very nice but $15 for a beer and glass of wine was a bit much

• Stayed September 2008