“Overpriced”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cambridge, MA
“Overpriced”
Reviewed January 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed in the resort’s townhouses. We were severely disappointed by the size and quality of our room. For the price, we had one of the smallest hotel rooms ever! It was very cramped for two people and did not match the description from the hotel’s web site. The townhouses are not part of the main hotel – they are newly built with very thin walls and cheap furnishings. If you are going to stay here, be sure to not book a townhouse room.
On the plus side, the spa and pool were outstanding.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank justinetrip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 30, 2005

I expected much more from this resort and was sorely disappointed. It's definitetly quaint and historic, but once you get beyond that, it's not much different than a Motel 8 with a concierge service (not very good) and valet parking (very good). Our "guaranteed" check-in time of 4:00 pm turned into 5:30 with no effort to apologize or make alternative accommodations. The desk staff was aloof (and some spoke such an accented English, it was often difficult to understand). I was never able to speak with the busy concierges. The bellmen, the valets and the other staff were polite, helpful and efficient, however. The food was excellent, although, lunch service in the Marsh tavern was abysmal. It's not clear that there is a viable alternative if you want to visit this part of Vermont - but I wouldn't recommend making the trip just for this resort.

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed December 11, 2005

My sister and I went for a much needed spa weekend. We each had massages, which were great (as was the spa in general) but we had issues with the room(s) we stayed in.

The first room was directly over the Marsh Tavern, which had a live band playing until midnight- we heard everything, unfortunately for us as we were tired from the drive up. The next day i notifying the front desk and they showed us a different room that was listed as a non-smoking room, but smelled like an ashtray. The next room they showed us was an upgrade, though I didnt see how it was any bigger or better than our first room. It also smelled liked smoke, but it wasnt as severe so we decided to take it. All was well until we were woken up at 7AM by our very loud neighbors and their 3 shreiking children.

Lesson learned: The walls at the Equinox are paper thin, and not at all condusive for a restful weekend.

No offense to the parents out there, but this is the kind of place that should really be without young children, and DEFINITELY a place that should ban smoking from ALL rooms. The staff was incredibly gracious and accomodating, but I would be reluctant to spend my money there again.

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank tupes
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed December 9, 2005

We booked 5 nights in a one-bdrm townhouse suite at The Equinox for our family of five (children ages 1,9,12) this past August 2005. The living area was spacious, but the furnishings and decor were old looking and plain. The kitchen area was an eyesore. The shower was tiny and no tub nor decent vanity area. The bedroom was small and cramped. It had about a 2-ft area around the queen bed and that was it. I've been in nicer Red Roof Inn motel rooms. For $500 a night, I expected much nicer surroundings. I went to the front desk to see if we could move. They showed us a regular hotel room, which was furnished somewhat better but nothing like a luxury property.

The grounds were nice but nothing spectacular. The spa area was newly renovated and stood out. The food from the Marsh Tavern was good. The concierge was helpful. We did enjoy the activities available through Country Pursuits (archery, off-road driving, falconry) and Orvis (fly-fishing, clay shooting) but these were very expensive. They also arranged for a great babysitter for us. My kids liked the extra pieces of chocolate from the housekeeper.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank DukeGrad
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 5, 2005

For my wife's birthday booked a townhouse suite with a hottub; and, reserved dining at Marsh's Tavern for her birthday. Arrived to find the suite was very plain to the point of being drab. The bath was very small with only a stand up shower, no hottub. Called the desk to be told they have only one townhouse with a hottub; and it was booked. Told the desk the time to learn about this would have been at the time I made the reservation. No offer to relocate us. The romantic fireplace in the room proved to be a projection screen of a burning fire. Being that our suite was well over 400 dollars a night had expectations of a real wow factor, not even close. Dinner was very good, ambiance and charm without a doubt. My problem being that not any one on the staff acknowledged my wife's birthday, at any time in any way. The final straw being that I noted at checkout that the meal was billed at an additional twenty dollars over what I had signed for. Another problem was that the stairway light kept turning on at all hours of the day & night. This being either an electrical problem; or, the neighbors. In either case, I believe it speaks volumes about the environment. Had planned to provide my wife with a full spa treatment, she preferred to spend the day in town shopping.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NYC
Reviewed September 29, 2005

We, 22 of us, went for my husbands 70th birthday. Upon arrival after 3 1/2 hr. drive we were told our room would be ready in an hour, this was 3pm. At 4 our room would not be ready until maybe 5 or6. of nine rooms we had 4 checked in at this time. One of our other sons and his family arrived at 5 and was told their rooms would be ready by 7. I created a small uproar at the front desk and told them never would I believe this of a Hoilday Inn must less the Equinox. The manager finally came out and found us some rooms and apoligized for their housekeeping problems. Not my problem, poor management. We had a dinner that night for all of us which went Ok but the next night we had a private party with their famous lobster and steak BBQ buffet. We had a private room with 2 waitresses who stood there and watched us as we cleared our plates to get up again. It was the worst service I have ever seen. I wrote to the management of the Equinox and he again talked about his housekeeping problems. It would have been better if he had not answered because this just made me more angry.

• Stayed June 2005
11 Thank pelny
Union, CT
Reviewed September 6, 2005

Booked an awesome rate through Travelzoo (96 hour special they have every few months). The staff was extremely professional. We arrived very early, and they requested housekeeping clean our room. The place is just beautiful, and there is plenty to do around town. Our room was huge, very clean, and loaded with amenities (including robes). I can't wait to return and stay more than one night!

• Stayed September 2005