“Everything and more”

The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I stayed with a group in the Charles Orvis House which is a separate house on the property. This is the place! If you get a suite you have a living room and kitchen which are fully upgraded. They also have connecting rooms to the suites so you could share the living room and kitchen with friends. The service from everyone at the resort was exceptional and a shout out to Ryan who shuttled me and my friends down to Gringo Jacks and right back because it was closed. Dinner at the Chop House was exceptional from the food to the service. Lunch in the pub was also efficient and our salads were great. We loved the fire pit on the back patio and the view of the mountain was incredible. If you are heading to Manchester, please sat at least one night at the Equinox.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ychick11
Write a ReviewReviews (1,423)

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were a group of 8 friends and family from all over the country who converged on Manchester, VT for a 4 night stay - our second in four years.

I think one of the most most apt comments from our group was from my 31 year old (millennial) daughter: "It's so Yuppy!"

The Equinox is in many ways a wonderful place. The location is beautiful and the accommodations are quite comfortable. The staff are plentiful and try hard.

The concierge, Mimi Ferson, was an absolute whiz and deserves being singled out for extra kudos. In the weeks before our arrival, Mimi deftly and professionally handled three nights of dinner reservations; a fly fishing outing; spa reservations, 4 sets of room reservations and lots of tips on local things to do and see (e.g., Haldene). Her email responses were speedy and clear and her advice (e.g., book dinner reservations as far ahead of time as possible) was always spot on.

The room was very large and comfortable, though the bathroom was small - given the overall size of the space. The hotel appointments are quite nice - with lots of room to lounge and relax.

Only a few minor quibbles - and one serious, large dog bone to pick:

1. Great windows in the bedrooms that let in a lot of light, but poor curtains that only give about 90% coverage, so the sunlight starts streaming in around 5 AM.

2. Pretty modest breakfast buffet. I've had better at $100/night hotels in Africa. A more abundant & creative fruit offering would have helped. Maybe some local cold cheeses and meats for those who don't want sausage and eggs. (In fact, given the localvore consciousness in most VT eateries, I found the lack of focus on VT sourced ingredients a surprising oversight; I wonder the the maple syrup in their shop is actually Canadian???).

3. Bedroom central A/C had thermostat problems and the room was too warm even though it was in the 50's outside at night. The windows are mostly nailed shut (maybe to prevent Yuppy-cide?)

But I will say that the staff made a sincere effort to solicit our comments and concerns.

The big bone is that while the Equinox makes a superficial effort to be Green, they really only deserve about a C-. Yes, they will give you extra SPG points if you decline room cleaning service, but we all know that they pay for this with what they save in reduced cleaning staffwages ($8.60 an hour for some staff - low by VT standards). The biggest problem that I saw was their car valet policy. They leave cars running while waiting for guests to take them, even if it is a 10 minute wait. I was told hat this was hotel policy. Given the number of ostentatious SUV's their guests seem to prefer, that's a lot of wasted gas, and even more importantly, a lot of polluntants in Manchester's otherwise fairly pristine environment.

OK. I'm a Vermonter and we care about this: we care enough that in 1973 we passed a state law against leaving an unattended car idling. When I pointed this out to the hotel management - that they weren't just being bad corporate citizens (by corporate policy apparently), but were actually scofflaws, they just shrugged and said that that didn't know it was against the law.

Maybe the hotel is too big of an employer for the the Village of Manchester to risk riling them by citing them for this, but I find this kind of corporate hypocrisy particularly galling. It is a glaring sin of commission when you compare the Equinox's environmental performance to that of other top line hotels like Burlington's Hotel Vermont (super environmentally conscious). Starwood should be ashamed of itself for advocating/condoning this behavior when the pristine environmental location of the hotel is probably its single greatest asset.

Room Tip: In the summer avoid rooms overlooking the central patio - music can be loud and go late.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
MarkONeillGM, General Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post your review! It is wonderful that your family had the opportunity to reconnect at our Resort! Our concierge Mimi is indeed an expert in developing a unique itinerary to elevate our guest experience. Sustainability is important to us, as you can see with our Trip Advisor Green Leaders certification. As mentioned on Sunday, I understand your concern and wanted to look again into your comment about our valet cars. Vermont Statues do permit us to run guest cars in our front circle to operate safety equipment such as windshield defrosters in the winter, air conditioners in the summer, and vehicles less than 10,000 lbs, for up to five minutes. We do retain a watchful eye on these vehicles as you mention, with our “plentiful” staff. Thank you again, I appreciate the opportunity to respond, and I look forward to your next visit to Manchester Village!

Reviewed June 15, 2014

The service was wonderful and the hotel was stunning. It was my second visit to the Equinox and enjoyed every moment. The grounds are beautiful, the food fantastic, everything about it was great. The only thing I wish they had was an outdoor pool. Other than that, it was perfect.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We just enjoyed a perfect weekend at the historic Equinox. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room in the main building was elegant and offered a great view of Mt. Equinox. The Chop House restaurant was excellent -- but expect NYC prices. After dinner, we sat by the outdoor fire pit and met a whole group of jovial strangers. Lots of fun. A highlight is the first class fitness center and spa.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Emma S, Guest Relations Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel!
I am so pleased to hear that you had a perfect weekend whilst staying with us. I am pleased to hear you had an excellent meal in our Chop House restaurant and made new friends around our fire pit.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.

Emma S,

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We spent 4 nights in a corner room of the old hotel. The room was huge with high ceilings and windows on two walls. It was beautifully decorated with modern amenities. The grounds were lovely. The spa was fantastic. The staff were amazingly attentive. I was there for a conference and the conference facilities were excellent.

The only problem I had was with checkout at which time there was a problem with the bill. (I was overcharged.) They did make an adjustment/credit, but as the statement was not itemized it was somewhat confusing. I needed an itemized statement (for business purposes/reimbursement) and was told by the front desk person that while she could see the breakdown (of room rate, state and local tax, resort fee, etc) on her computer screen, she could not provide me with an itemized statement. Really?? Every other hotel in North America I've ever stayed at provides an itemized statement per routine. I was told (literally) that if I needed an itemized statement I would need to call the finance department during business hours (i.e., Monday; I checked out on a Saturday.) I asked if she could arrange for the finance office to e-mail me an itemized statement on Monday, but I never got one.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Emma S, Guest Relations Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great review of The Equinox. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our spa facilities and found our staff attentive.

I apologize for the issues you experienced at check out. I am unsure as to why you were told this information. I am going to follow up with this now to ensure you get an itemized copy of your folio.

I hope that despite this you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Our getaway to The Equinox far exceeded our expectations.The service was wonderful and the property beautiful.The outdoor bar with the amazing firepit is not to be missed.There are both casual and refined dining experiences and the proximity to Manchester Center opens up many more choices.
We would go back again, for sure!

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.

Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Just spent 2 days in one of the detached condo type buildings. Lots of vaguely awkward things about the rooms - some too big, some too small, doors and light switches in unexpected places, slanted floors. Service was very good. Golf course was hit hard by the winter and had recently been aerated, so it was in really rough shape -- played like the muni I'm used to back home.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BigCJ65
Emma S, Guest Relations Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Thank You for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us. I want to apologize that you felt as though your room had an awkward layout, as we are such an old property this is sometimes the case. Again I can only apologize the golf course was not in the best shape, as you mentioned we had a hard winter and it is taking us a little bit longer this year to get it back into top shape for the summer months!

On a more positive note I am pleased to hear that you experienced wonderful service at our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sincerely