“First Class Get-Away”

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“First Class Get-Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

My Wife & I just came back from our annual Manchester get away .This time we stayed at the historic Equinox Hotel . We stayed in a very nice room that was only steps away from the bar, food & coffee in the morning. The Valet parking was a nice touch & the staff was very friendly. Although the hotel is old ,it is kept up in tip top shape. We both found it a pleasure to have our coffee in a large common room overlooking the grounds. The swiming pool is super nice. Large & warm. A real treat as the weather was still chilly outside. We will return in the future for another stay.

mickey

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Lafayette, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Our family has visited the Equinox four times over the past year and a half. I say visit because the staff treats you like family and the accommodations are second to none.

We have three children ages 7-12 and we always find something to do in the area. Whether it's shopping at the outlets a mile away, hiking right on the property, eating at the Marsh Tavaren, or relaxing in the indoor pool, they are never restless.

If you enjoy beautiful mountain views, clean crisp air, and being treated with the utmost respest, then the Equinox is a must visit for your next trip.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Grizzy66
Lenox, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

Great staff makes for an outstanding experience, and that is what is found from the moment one drives up to the door. My check in was efficient and friendly, and I was quickly on my way to my spa treatments. The spa staff was welcoming and incredibly skilled. After an amazing pedicure and hot stone massage, the tone was set for an absolutely wonderful evening. My room was exceptional - spacious and well appointed, quiet and private. (One minor word of caution: When one is on the third floor, turn on the shower ahead of time to allow the hot water to work its way all the way up to the top!) The bedding was so comfortable! I slept like a rock. Breakfast in the tavern again came with outstanding service, and great coffee. My stay was complete with a lovely manicure, and I was on my way to shopping in the outlets, bottle of water thoughtfully placed in my car by the valet. Really...What could have been better? I am looking forward to a return trip, hopefully sooner rather than later...and bringing someone with me.

Room Tip: My room was expansive, with a complete living room/dining room, half bath, and master bedroom and ba...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

Recommended for people who enjoy Historic settings and good food. There are several Orvis sponsored activities in the area that are well run. Small but very pleasant downtown area with boutique shopping. A great place for a relaxing and hiking.

• Stayed April 2014
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

My family has now stayed at the Equinox during three winter holiday school breaks. Each time I redeemed SPG points for a (free) five-night stay. Over Christmas/New Year's the resort is packed with kids and, for an old historic inn, is surprisingly child-friendly. We've used the resort as a homebase for skiing at Bromley (about a 10-minute drive from the hotel). If you prefer to ski at Stratton (about a 30-minute drive), you're probably better off staying near or at the base of Stratton. The Equinox does offer daily shuttle services to and from the two ski areas, although we've always driven our own car.

The hotel offers plenty of adult diversions and great restaurant options, but the reason we keep going back for the holidays is that it's festive and fun and keeps our kids occupied. The hotel sets aside a large play room specifically for kids and offers board games, arts and crafts, and hot chocolate and cookies in the afternoons. One of the highlights the kids remember best: If you win at Bingo, you get a gift certificate to use in the resort's gift shop. There are special events for families (e.g., New Year's Eve party) and special dining options too. There's an indoor pool and an outdoor hot tub (although last time the hot tub was mysteriously broken/closed/off-limits almost the entire time), as well as a hill for sledding. There's also plenty for kids to do in the area, even if you don't ski. (Two great recommendations you might otherwise miss: Making your own glass paperweight at Manchester Hot Glass, and the upstairs kids' section of the Northshire Bookstore.)

Room Tip: It's an old historic structure, so room shapes, sizes, and views vary considerably, and differen...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WendyPerrin
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

I recently stayed for several nights at the Equinox resort in Manchester. I was able to take advantage of a mid-week special and decided to make it the home base for my Vermont getaway.

It's worth noting that the staff at the hotel are very pleasant. Everyone from the bartenders to the valets were very pleasant and helpful. I did have an issue in the restaurant which I'll discuss below.

The room I stayed in was an upgraded king deluxe. We had about 8 large windows along two walls of the room viewing the courtyard and the mountains behind the resort. The room was well appointed and comfortable. Being an old building, it's worth noting that the windows leak air a bit (really wasn't a big issue), and there is a good amount of noise from those above us on the 4th floor. I think some were people walking down the halls, but the buildings do "creek" and make a good deal of noise as it is a wood-framed structure. The bathroom was a bit on the small side, and could have used a good detailing (some mildew in the grout was plainly visible), and it was clear that whenever renovated, they didn't take enough time to properly repair the doors and then repaint (the paint was caked on, our door handle was very loose, etc).

As for the restaurant, I looked on yelp before we went there one night to grab a quick dessert. A lot of the review had remarked on how poor and slow the service was - I wrote it off as a bad period in the resort's history. Well, I shouldn't have! We went to the tavern at about 9pm, and the hostess was simply a mess - she had open tables everywhere, but insisted that my party (2 people), and another party (2 people) had to wait while she reset tables for 2. We stood there for at least 15 minutes (with the other 2 people) before eventually settling on the bar. While eating at the bar, we noticed that a large table behind us of a family of about 12 people had long left and their table was covered in a plethora of dirty dishes. The bartender remarked to another employee that they couldn't believe how busy they were given 50% occupancy on property - but it all seemed a little odd to us. The Falcon bar was quite nice - but we went on two nights and one bartender was a great mixologist while the other left something to be desired (I ordered the same drink two nights in a row from their drink menu, and it was a totally different outcome the second night). The tavern is probably a "skip" until they get their act together.

Thought it was a little weird that on our last day we received a letter under our door from a manager asking us to tell them if we didn't think the resort was perfect rather than reporting it on a future survey that we might receive - not sure if they don't get the fact that if we're not honest to corporate that they certainly won't be able to help the resort fix any issues.

All-in-all, this really is a beautiful old resort that I would happily stay at again - so don't read too much into what I have above - it's just worth noting.

Room Tip: Ask for the 4th floor if you don't want to hear footsteps all night long.
Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is a very elegant; but not ostentatious hotel. The rooms are beautifully appointed, and spotless. It has a very quaint, comfortable feel - even with it's elegance. The grounds are lovely and the service is top notch. It is wonderful for families and couples. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the Townhouses, which was very quiet and private.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
MarkONeillGM, Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Deidrek63,

Thank you very much for sharing your trip with us. I am so glad to hear that you had a great time and that our property was to your liking. Our grounds crew work tirelessly to ensure that we are always ready for guests. We are excited for the flowers to bloom this spring. We look forward to you returning in the future.