“Equinox” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Millburn, New Jersey
“Equinox”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Great Starwood Hotel! Amazing staff. The service is excellent and facilities are amazing, especially the pool and the hot tub after a heavy skiing day in Stratton. The free shuttle to the slopes is great. Joshua - the driver - does a great job in helping with the skiis and pick up. Peter Engard - the manager of the hotel is on top of it, always helpful. Highly recommend the apple doughnuts made by the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Haverhill, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We made reservations for the delux king in the townhouse.The room was barren. No pictures on the wall like it said,"all remodeled". The toilet was filthy and we took pictures to show them.Mattress was disgusting. The king delux was a king bed and a bathroom.What they considered delux is beyond me.If you want breakfast there it is $23 each for a buffet.They did make it right by letting us stay in a suite the next day for no extra charge.They should have done a little better for what happened.One of our nights was a total waste of money for the filthy room.Whould never ever go there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank EdRd75
MarkONeillGM, General Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Good evening and thank you so much for taking the time to share your concerns with us. I am so sorry to hear about the experience you had in our Townhouses. It is true that our Inns at Equinox are a separate product then the Starwood Luxury Collection Equinox. They are designed to offer a great value at a lower price, while still offering convenient access to our award winning spa and restaurants, however there is no excuse for the lack of cleanliness you experienced during your stay. We have gone ahead and spoken with our Management team to ensure this doesn't happen again. Thank you again for taking the time to write, and I hope we will see you again soon.
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed here for the 2nd time recently and it was another relaxing and comfortable stay. Looking forward to going back again. We used Starwood SPG points to pay for the 2 nights - definitely worth it!

The Spa and amenities are great, and they have an awesome brunch (extra charge). The staff are very friendly and helpful - in particular we enjoyed the hospitality of James (at the Marsh Tavern) and Bob (at the bar). They, and many others, made it a point to make us comfortable and a lot of attention was put into the level of service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raj_D1985
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

I was torn about my stay. Whenever I pay $400+ for a hotel room, I have really high expectations. The hotel itself is charming and very well maintained (great location too). The room I stayed in was very spacious with gorgeous furnishings. However, I still have a hard time with the $400+ price tag (plus the $40-$50 resort fee per night!). I've stayed at many Le Meridiens and Westins (in popular locations) for $150 a night and had the same quality hotel/room experience. So when you pay significantly more, you expect more. Although the service was good, I wouldn't say it exceeded my expectations. Breakfast was declicious, but I think it was $20-$30 extra.

I did get a massage while I was there, and I must say it was the best massage I've had in awhile.

Overall, it's a great hotel in a beautiful town / setting, but I'm just not sure it's worth the price tag. We passed so many cute B&Bs while walking around town and if we ever returned, I would stay at one of these!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MarkONeillGM, General Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Good evening and thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about the Resort! Our Resort takes great pride in its charming location and unique history; however it is amenities such as our spa and its skilled therapists that set us apart to provide the perfect relaxing atmosphere. Thank you again, your comments help to make us better. I hope that you will return to the Manchester area soon!
Columbia, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Our stay at the Equinox was amazing. It was pouring rain when we arrived and I was met at the car with an umbrella by the bellman. Check in was fast and easy and courteous. We stayed in Townhouse #581 and it was HUGE and well stocked. Full kitchen, dining table, barstools, separate king bedroom, two flat screen tv's. The bathroom was a little small and only had a shower stall, but the products and water pressure made up for it. We had a beautiful view of the mountains. I did not use the pool and hot tub, but my husband and daughter did and loved it. The main inn and lobby with the wood burning fireplace were very relaxing. I read my book all day by the fire. Tea, coffee and hot chocolate are left out until 1130 and then water and hot chocolate remained available. Apres Ski they had baked goods and hot cider, chocolate, coffee and tea. They had many board games for the kids. They also had an arcade but half the games were not working. We informed the front desk and they told us they have a call into maintenance and gave us back the money we lost in the games that were no functioning. The staff bends over backwards to help you and be accommodating. We had a lovely meal in the Marsh Tavern. Kim was a server that went above and beyond and gave the kids coloring books and crayons and was very engaged with them. Free wireless worked fine when it was on, but it kept kicking us off and making us sign in again. But it was a wonderful stay in a beautiful place with gorgeous views of the mountains from our window.

Room Tip: We were in a townhouse that is a one minute walk from the pool and the main inn. It was very spacio...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I will say this for 9 out of 10 employees we encountered were warm, eager to help and competent. But that hardly compensates for the nearly constant noise we experienced all day long in our room. My daughter and I were lodged in a first floor room where there is a constant stream of children and adults who thought nothing of screaming to a family member right down the hallway, or stomping in the room above. There was a pre-recorded message from the GM or Ops Director reminding guests that it's an older structure, noises travel and to refrain from conversations in the hallways between 9 pm- 6 am. Clearly, most guests did not listen to it or heed it. We requested a "quieter room" and were moved next to the Main Street and a family with 4 teenagers squeezed into a room with a king bed and rollaways. I thought it was a cruel joke.

The pool was a nice amenity and set hours just for adult swim. But i could hardly believe there was actually garbage (small plastic drinking cups) at the bottom of the pool at 9 am! There were cubbies but no lockers in the family changing room. Lockers available in the spa locker rooms - only accessible to guests 16+
We made it work but I thought, "Gee how hard us it to install lockers in here?"

The Equinox markets itself as "luxury." The sink drain ran slow, the toilet wad not fully cleaned, the HVAC was loud, and the tv remote's batteries were dead. These may sound minor and to be fair, at a modestly priced hotel I would say fine, whatever. But to truly be a luxury chain like a Four Seasons or Ritz, these things have to be perfect. Even Kimpton Hotels - a lower/ non-luxury chain- is impeccable.
Fortunately for the Equinox, most of their people couldn't do enough to help. A couple if the concierges seemed to struggle concealing their disdain for answering questions - not just mine- I overheard it walking by the desk. On the other hand, requests to borrow a sled and crayons were met with smiles and enthusiasm. (Thank you, Astri and Richard!) A housekeeping supervisor Mike left extra chocolates at turn-down service when I mentioned the slow drain. The bartender gave my daughter extra cherries in her Shirley Temple... Sweet and kind gestures that meant a lot to me at the time.
Unfortunately, I will probably not stay at the Equinox on a trip to Manchester again. All the kind people in the world can't make up for a lousy three nights' sleep.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank PTWMsMom
MarkONeillGM, Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Thank you so much for offering your review of our property. Your constructive feedback about your visit with us is significant as often times it may pinpoint an area of needed focus and attention. I am so glad to hear that you found our staff to be warm and accommodating. We are quite fortunate to have great staff on property that focus on creating a warm and friendly environment for our guests.

I am truly sorry to hear about the challenges you experienced with the noise during your stay. We try to have a balance between creating a relaxing atmosphere for our guests while also being a family friendly resort that welcomes families of all sizes. This seems to be an occasion where we were not able to do that effectively for you and I am very sorry. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we can discuss your experience further and so that we may restore your faith in The Equinox Golf Resort and Spa.
Stephanee
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed for a long weekend in early February and had a wonderful relaxing time. Classic New England charm. The room had a great view of the mountain. Fireplaces blazing during the day and evening. Great to hang out with a cocktail or a book. The outdoor firepit was lovely, only disappointed it closed Saturday night. We were only a short walk across the courtyard to the heated pool and hot tub--fun for a snowy day. I was fortunate enough to get a spa treatment--Theraputic Massage--it was one of the best I've ever had. Near to great outlet shopping. Bonus is that the hotel offers car service to area restaurants--we could have a bottle of wine with dinner and worry about getting lost on the dark roads on the way home. My only complaint is that the neighbors were early risers (skiiers) and kept letting their door slam as they made a dozen or more trips in and out of the room. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a view and if you plan to swim, one with an exit near the pool room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
#2 of 3 in Stratton Mountain
Grafton Inn
Grafton Inn
#1 of 1 in Grafton

Been to The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!