“A Great Place to Stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“A Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My boyfriend booked us here over a long weekend in January and I enjoyed our stay immensely. The location is very close to some amazing outlet shopping, both Bromley and Stratton mountains, and great dining options. We took advantage of the hotel spa and received some of the best massages we've ever had. The indoor pool is fantastic, although the hot tub area could have been more built out to avoid those awkward full tub situations.

We enjoyed some wine,cheese and chocolate at the Falcon Bar along with some music from a live band, then played a few games of chess/checkers in their library, and finished off the night out by the outdoor fire.

I would say if you're in the area and looking for a great overall experience - this is the place for you.

My only constructive criticism would be to upgrade the robes since everyone seems to be wearing them (they need to be softer) and use local shampoo/soap/lotions considering how many local options there are in Vermont.

Room Tip: Perhaps steer clear of the rooms on the ground floor near the elevators. There is a lot of traffic a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I took our 3 children to VT for a long ski weekend. We chose the Equinox as we are Starwood fans. The building is beautiful. It transports you back in time with the long hallways, crown moldings, and dark mahogany furniture. You pull up to a majestic white building with giant columns, reminiscent of something from the Golden Era. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The area is perfect for shopping in Manchester and Bromley and Stratton mountains. Equinox is a wonderful stay for couples and families. Highly recommended!

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Jennifer E
New Jersey
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Overall, my wife and 8 month old son had a wonderful visit to the Equinox. We went for a long weekend to enjoy some skiing and escape the tri-state area to refresh. It was our first time in Manchester and we both really enjoyed the town. I skied (despite the rain) and my wife enjoyed the property. First, I want to say that we thoroughly enjoyed our weekend and our stay at the Equinox. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. We're already planning our next trip. That being said, we did have some issues that I'll outline below. Travelling with a 8 month old has forced us to get suites when we travel. This makes it easier to put the baby to bed, while allowing us to stay up past 7:30 and enjoy a nice evening. On this recent stay we booked a suite with points (48K for 2 night) through SPG Gold concierge. My reservation experience with SPG is always flawless. I was very excited to check out the digs upon arrival as the photos online looked pretty nice. I've always been extremely happy with the suite accommodations at the various SPG brands (W, Luxury collection, Westin, etc.) I learned that our suite was in the Orvis Inn, which is next to the main hotel. Not ideal consider my wife would be spending most of the weekend on property with a 8 month old and the weather was less than ideal, but not a deal breaker. When we got to our room, both my wife and I were disappointed. We were in room 632 (i think) on the 3rd floor. Given the pitch of the roof, it forced an interesting configuration of the room. This suite was not consistent with the Luxury Collection brand. Period. I expect a certain level of wear in a hotel room but the furniture in the living room was really worn down. The cushions on the couch were so worn down and flat in frat it almost rendered it unusable. We kept sliding off the front. Light bulbs were out and the kitchen was in desperate need of a refresh. Granite counter tops alone do not make a kitchen nice. The biggest issue of all was the bathroom. It was borderline unacceptable. Had we been staying for longer or our stay required us to actually get dressed nice for an event, we could not have stayed in the room. One of the nicest aspects of staying at a St. Regis, Luxury Collection, W or suite in any hotel, is the bathroom. You want a wow experience. This was certainly not impressive at all. It was actually depressing and from the 90's. If you were taller that 6 feet, the shower was not an option. The mirror was unusable. That's right, the MIRROR in the BATHROOM was unusable. It was positioned on a slant along the ceiling (again, 3rd floor roof pitch). You could not look in the mirror unless you tilted you head back at a 30 degree angle. How anyone could think this was acceptable is beyond me. The whole room was just old and worn. I actually felt bad for the hotel because I know certain guest would allow that room and suite to tarnish their entire stay. We are not those people and still had a great stay and vacation. Admittedly, I am bummed/upset that I used 48K points for THAT suite, but given our baby, we had to do what we had to do.

The public areas of the hotel are great. The pool and spa are great. My wife said she had a wonderful 80 min massage in the Spa. We order room service (off marsh tavern menu) one night which was really good. All in all, we really enjoyed it. Looking forward to returning, especially now that I know the room situation. Definitely will be staying in main hotel next time.

Room Tip: If you are booking a suite, try to get 1 of the 2 in the main hotel. The Orvis Inn is a little long...
Reviewed January 13, 2014

When you think about the Equinox in Manchester, Vermont, you think elegance... excellent service, outstanding rooms. The reality was a slap in the face. Booked a 'queen superior room' and would never stay there again. They put us in their 'townhouses', which was a room about 14x25, bathroom included. There was not enough room for a table and chairs, we had an ice bucket but not ice machine any where around; received two bottles of water but no glasses/plastic cups--even in the bathroom for rinsing your mouth after brushing your teeth. I am thoroughly disgusted and will be sure that I tell all of my friends about our accommodations. Shame on you, Equinox, for stooping to this level.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a "Superior Queen Room." You're better off at the EconoLodge.
5 Thank Sues143
Darien, Connecticut
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My girlfriend and I came for a girls getaway for 2 nights in January - from the moment we arrived, the service, the staff, the accommodations, the spa, the bar, the food, were EXCELLENT. Samantha at reservations had secured us a lovely, 2 queen room (with great shower amenities!), Jody was wonderful checking us in at the Front Desk (and I swear she works 24 hours a day!), cosmos from Frank at the Falcon Bar were so refreshing, Susan gave us the most luxurious massages at the spa after our hot tub soaks, and Clay took care of our car and our transportation around town. Everyone at The Equinox (and I wish I had more names to share) made our stay feel so wonderful - the hotel is beyond gorgeous, cozy, warm, lovely and we can't wait to come back again soon!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank wendy z
Warwick, New York
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I stayed at the Equinox from January 6-8 with my mother and sister for a spa getaway. From the moment we pulled up to the hotel, the service was impeccable. The valet staff was incredibly polite and accommodating. Big thanks to Jeremiah who not only took care of our car and luggage, but also chauffeured us around town when it was time to hit the martini bar. He was polite and made for delightful company on our rides back and forth to the hotel.

The Falcon Bar was fantastic - another thanks to the bartender, I think his name is Russ, though I can't be sure thanks to the delicious cocktails he served up. The rest of the bar and restaurant staff were also extremely delightful, especially Jon who delivered homemade ice cream directly to our room, bedside.

Now onto the not so great. If I could have given The Equinox a 4.5, I would have. but the staff was so wonderful that I decided to go with a 5. The first floor of the hotel was pretty cold. We found it to be chilly even next to the large fireplaces. The same was true in the spa. While the services were wonderful, I do wish it would have been a bit cozier in the lounge. However, considering this was an extremely old building, despite renovations, one must expect some draftiness.

Lastly, as some of you may note, sleep quality rated low for our visit. When it came to peaceful slumbering, The Equinox was lacking. This was not because the beds were uncomfortable, but because of the ghost that clearly lives above room 330. It sounded like someone was bouncing a ball directly above us at random times throughout the night. It was very disconcerting.

So, to conclude, great staff! As for the spirits, specters, ghouls and ghosts, well.....that may not appeal to everyone.

Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Only came to stay for a night (Saturday-Sunday) with a few friends. Our main goal was to relax and take advantage of the spa. Upon arrival the guy at the front desk was great. We found our room pretty quickly, got changed and headed to the pool/spa building. The facility was beautiful and we used the steam room and sauna. Down side was that they ran out of robes and we had to wait for them to launder some for us. When we were done we went out to the pool area, but we didn't last but 5 minutes there. I guess this place is really popular with families and the screaming children were not conducive to our plan of relaxation.
We had booked spa services for the next day (remember to book in advance at this place!) and had to checkout before we headed back down there. The front desk was great, they let us get our car from the valet, load up our stuff and re-valet. We proceeded to the spa again and checked in for our massages. The young girl at the front desk was unfriendly and had a bit of an attitude, but that was forgotten after our massages. I cannot speak for anyone else in my party but my massage was one of the best I've ever had. Afterwards we ventured into the pool and hot tub area to happily find both empty.
Once we were all set to leave we ran into the unfriendly front desk girl again while checking out. She somehow confused something in the computer system and kept asking all of us what we had done (all three of us had the same 50 minute massage, no bells or whistles) it took about 20 minutes for us to straighten things out, pay and get out of there. All the while with this girl giving us the attitude. Also, please make a note if you are booking anything at the spa, they add gratuity to your services. We were not aware of this and had got cash out of the ATM machine which obviously charged us a fee.
Overall, these little negatives were not enough to spoil our moods but they will definitely be remembered.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends