“Very good food”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Very good food”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We actually stayed a few hundred yards further down the road but went here to eat.

Wow the place looks amazing from the outside and once inside it does not disappoint. The place is large and beautiful inside. The restaurant wasn't busy and was also really nice inside. We sat next to the roaring fire. The food was very good if a little bit expensive. It came quickly and the service was excellent.

If we ever come back to Manchester we would probably stay here as the place looks amazing and the food was great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This resort is my favorite place at which to stay when I go to Southern Vermont, which is pretty darned often.

It is so nice to stay at a place with a unique personality that hasn't been changed to feel like 100 other resorts and yet maintains the highest quality in accommodations and service.

Rooms are large and very comfortable (for someone who comes to shoot photos and needs to be up before the crack of dawn, those beds can be TOO comfortable). Always clean and nicely appointed.

Service is great throughout the property. Valets are quick and courteous but it would be nice to be able to self-park a bit more easily. Front desk personnel, despite being from points across the globe, are quite knowledgeable. Anything that they don't know, you can bet the excellent concierge does.

Gift shop is a great source for nicer gifts for home. While small, it has a great selection and high quality items to fit most ages and tastes.

The bar is great. Elegantly appointed without putting on airs. Staff in mostly local and very friendly and talkative.

This is is a top-class resort done Vermont style. Dressed elegantly for dinner? Fine. Coming in from a day of fly fishing or hiking and looking a bit the worse for wear, fine too. All are welcome and it genuinely feels that way.

Hint: use your AAA discount. You'll save enough to pay for a few years of your membership, if on a lengthier stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed during Labor Day weekend to celebrate our first year anniversary. The hotel is very nice - nicely decorated and excellent staff. Equinox has an old world charm without being stuffy. We found the staff at every position to be very professional, pleasant, helpful and focused on hospitality. We did the complimentary preserve walk on Saturday morning and that was really nice - the guide was excellent and really helped us become more familiar with the area. Later that same day we did the blue summit hike to the top and do be warned it is strenuous and an incline the whole way. It's beautiful and fun though!! The marsh tavern is quite good and we enjoyed our first night dinner there and then some lovely bar snacks on the veranda in front of hotel on another day after the spa. The spa was good - I had a facial and massage. The massage was very good. The facial was fine - more like a hotel facial than a full on spa facial. We also had great meals off premises - LOVED Silver Fork - which is a 2 min drive from hotel. We also tried the Reluctant Panther - also good, much more "fine dining" and while fine - not a restaurant that competes with nyc restaurants in this category of food. We had two breakfasts outside of the hotel - trying Up for Breakfast - which was a great local spot with yummy stuff and Ponce - liked the vibe and the food - not as "down home" as Up for breakfast. Nice to have the two different experiences. The breakfast buffet at hotel was good and very convenient.

We also did the British school of falconry intro lesson for two and that was great. Rick the instructor was so good and we each got a chance to "fly" our own bird - very cool! It's also down a beautiful direction on the Main Street and we would have missed these gorgeous homes, rolling lawns and low rock fence if we didn't go down this direction.

Overall we found the equinox to really fit what we were looking for: driving distance, upscale, good food at hotel and in vicinity, cute town, fun outdoor things to do.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AmyPasquale
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I grew up in Southern Vermont but moved away several years ago(hence the title). Although I still have a place in my hometown about 20 minutes down the road, it's always fun to stay at hotel in the area.

I've stayed at The Equinox twice in the last year and this is more a reflection of those two times combined. The first time I stayed was just before Thanksgiving of 2012 and the second time was in March of 2013. I had two distinctly different experiences both generally positive but one certainly better than the other.

First Stay:
My girlfriend and I stayed in the main building on the 3rd floor in a corner sweet which I requested (I always ask for corner rooms if they're available). This turned out to be the right move. At the end of the hall way there is a private little foyer that is split between two corner suites. I gave us the feeling we were staying in our own little secluded area. It also cut down on whatever noise there was which was extremely minimal or non existant. The room was a good size, everything was modern, robes and slippers were legit etc. The bathroom was a little small and the soaps and shampoos were a cheap no name brand similar to what you'd find in your run of the mill chain. When staying in a 4-5 Star place it's always nice to see some Malin and Goetz or Khiels, probably a snobby thing to say but whatever. Those are my only complaints about our room. Extra points for the room being absolutely spotless, and the bed being HUGE and probably the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in, no exaggeration there. If you want a great nights sleep this a place to get it. We had breakfast in bed the next morning that was great as well!

Second Stay:
A little different this time, we were passing through on our way back to the city from a visit to my hometown and we decided on swinging through to see if there was any availability. The place was fully booked but had a last minute cancellation. So we scooped in and took that room, this time although I had a relatively pleasant experience, I'm not sure it was worth the money. We stayed in a building off site called the 1811 house. I'm still a bit undecided on this place. It was very charming, had a really great small library room with board games and chess etc, a tavern that unfortunately wasn't open, and huge lawn (I would guess about 3-5 acres) which was great because this time we had a new puppy with us and he was able to run around and get himself tired (footnote, the hotel is pet friendly :). There were two other family's staying in the house while we were there. From what I could gather the two family's knew each other so they kind of took over the place, and while they were more than friendly their presence was pretty palpable during our stay. I kind of felt like we were renting a room in their house.
The actual room was pretty cool though, very old and quaint. The bathroom was old kind of like a renovated in the 70's old which I didn't like, but I'll give them credit in that again it was spotless. The highlight of the room was the working fireplace. Very cool and romantic to be able stoke up a good fire in the room and get some quite time....quite until you find out the smoke alarm goes off very very easily and you have a Chevy Chase "Funny Farm" moment in your underwear at 1:30am trying to get the smoke alarm to turn off and your 6 month old puppy to stop freaking out due to loud high pitched screeching coming out of the alarm. That situation was unfortunate, but it makes for a funny story now.

Food:
The food here is amazing and when the check comes you'll be pleasantly surprised. Even when I'm not staying at the hotel I eat here. Try the meat loaf stuffed with lamb wrapped in bacon (not as unhealthy as it sounds) it's epic.

Spa:
The spa is great, a lot of kids running around as it's a very family friendly hotel so makes for a bit a scene in the hot tube/pool area, but the steam room and sauna's are good to go, the locker room is nice, and again everything was spotless. My only critique here would be there's no co'ed option so you can't hang with your lady really at all unless you're in the pool or hot tub, which you're sharing with many other peeps. The waiting area super nice and comfy with oversized couches a big fireplace and hot tea, cucumber water, and apples. A really great spa and gym area, again a bit of a rarity in these parts unless you're ON the ski mountain, but even then you're not getting all of that in the same building.

Golf:
I didn't play golf either of the times I stayed. I am however an avid golfer and have played here a few times before and almost every course in the area. If you get golf included in your stay, then definitely hit the links here because it's a beautiful course. I imagine most of the hotel clientele are members of somewhere pretty nice and private in the tristate/southern New England area and you can expect most of the familiarities of private Country Club golf. However if golf isn't included in your stay I highly recommend Tater Hill Golf Club down the road a few miles, or for good quality bang for your buck golf Crown Point CC. Stratton is also a great option.

Snowboard//Ski:
Stratton has the most terrain in the immediate area, it's a great moment, super pricey, and super crowded. Bromley is about the same distance and offers more in the ways a stripped down vibe. No frills, good terrain especially if there's been cold temps and fresh snow. It's definitely a bit more of a hard core skier and snowboarders place but still offers great family stuff. The wildcard here is Magic Mtn. I grew up there so I have a soft spot for it. If your in the area during a snowstorm, take my advice and set an alarm for 6am, eat a bacon egg and cheese sando and get to Magic for first tracks, it's the best east coast skiing and riding that exists for intermediate to experts.

Bottom Line:
Stay in the main building and you're set. This place is SPOTLESS, super COMFORTABLE, and offers all things you need to have a great family or couples long weekend.

Helpful Tip*
The hotel advertises it self as a 5 star hotel, and part of the luxury collection of Starwood Hotels (a good thing to know if you have a starwood points account, as occasionally if you ask nicely you'll be able to get a small discount on your room).

In general this a a great luxurious place to stay, and probably the nicest in the area. Truthfully I've only ever stayed at Strattons long trail house when I was younger and from what I can remember they are not in the same league. However if you're looking for more

Room Tip: Try the corner rooms and definitely stay in the main building if you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ungano
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Equinox on a groupon deal for the inns which were pretty cool little townhouses behind the main building. We had our own private back patio which was nice. The room was very clean and nice only thing that we would've liked was a coffee maker so we could make coffee in the morning. For a major resort/spa it seemed like that would be something you would have for guests. The service was great though people were very friendly.

• Stayed September 2013
Portland, Maine
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights Th/Fri in mid August 2013 as part of an early birthday & golf 5 day get away through VT and western MA, and found the resort had a wonderful old world charm about it. The address did not work well on my GPS which did not have a Manchester Village option and Manchester, VT did not work - but was able to finally find it by name once nearby. The town seemed full of great outlets if you were into shopping (I am not). We were surprised to see so many families with kids and even infants, especially with the cost, and yet it added to make it a most comfortable unstuffy atmosphere.

Staff was exceptional, dining in both restaurants was really good, with the (steak) Chop House being pricey at >$200, as all sides and salads are a la carte but a wonderful night. The buffet breakfast was extraordinary (and included as a starwood spg guest), with option of cold continental (incl. oatmeal, cereals, yogurt, fruit, granola, bagel & cream cheese, and warm sugar donuts!) and the hot buffet had impressively excellent scrambled eggs (which I find usually not the case when served in buffets) and a great custom omelet station. I used the gym both days, and was able to get on the elliptical both times, and use a floor mat for abs work. I did not use the spa or the indoor pool or jacuzzi. We really enjoyed the day of golf, (cheaper after 3:30, cart required, tiered pricing by day of week) and then headed up to the bar for a cheese plate and some champagne out on the patio (they also have chocolates!). The (synthetic) fire pit was conducive to being outside even though the temperature dropped noticeably. On Fri night they had live music in the bar which made for a fun nightcap. The room was nice. We knew going in it would be an expensive sojourn, so I would say rather high priced and we used the SPG guest discount and did not stay a Sat night. 2 night minimum when I booked.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank S_Stone465
PA
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The main lodge has been refurbished attractively. However, the room rates are higher than the property warrants. Service is poor. I gave up waiting for bellman and moved my own luggage. Beware the alternate lodging options outside of the main lodge. The townhouses and 1812 house are equally poor. If you do not want to pay rates at the main hotel, stay at the Inn at Manchester just down the road.
On he positive side, the setting is pretty and you can have great country walks or golf.

• Stayed August 2013