The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Four Winds Country Motel(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$85
Palmer House(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$109
Hotels.com
Manchester View(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$90
Great 4.5/5
Aspen at Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$89
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
The Stamford Motel & Restaurant(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$84
Wilburton Inn(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$128
$119
Great 4.5/5
The Chalet Motel(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$80
$72
$68
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
The INN at Willow Pond(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$120
1,450 results
All reviewsmarsh tavernchop housefire pitfalcon barindoor poolhistoric hotelstarwood pointsconcierge deskmain buildinghot tubcider donutsfalconry schoolnew englandbeautiful resortlocker roomhiking trailsold world charm
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed at the Equinox with our children and it was average at best. The staff is very nice and accommodating -- they truly go out of their way to help and are very friendly and great with children. Our first room was somewhat clean, although the drain on the shower came off easily and their was dirt in the tub. We switched rooms and our second room was much cleaner, although they forgot to charge us a lesser price for switching to a smaller room from a suite. We ordered room service one night and ate at the Marsh Tavern another night. Again, the staff was very accommodating (I am a vegetarian), but the food was average. We also had the breakfast at the Colonnade one morning, which was ok, but there are much better restaurants in town.
I visited the spa and the treatments were wonderful. Unfortunately, the people who give the treatments are not what I have come to expect from spa personnel. The first person told me she was going to make me pretty and not to worry, beauty comes from the inside (hmm, didn't realize I was that ugly), and the second person was like a drill sergeant. They were skilled in what they did, though.

Room Tip: The Orvis Inn suites are in a separate building that is older and noisy. The main building higher floor rooms are quiet and newer, although they are smaller.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Equinox between August 25, 2013 and August 29, 2013. We checked into the hotel on mid-afternoon on August 25th. The following day -- around 400pm -- I noticed several red marks on the top of my right foot. The marks were in a pattern of 3, and they itched. At that point, we had not spent any time in the woods, and my foot/lower leg was covered by shoes and socks. The following morning I awoke and noticed that I had 2 more red welts on my right foot - spaced about the same distance as the other marks -- and now 1 on my other foot. I went to a local medical office, the Northshire Medical Center, to have my welts inspected, which by this point were itching very much. They wrote a report and said that while there is no test to indicate 100% that the welts were from bed bugs, they said the location, size and pattern of the marks were consistant with bed bugs. Additionally, my wife and 8 year old son, who slept in the same bed for 1 night, also had welts, but my daughter, who slept on a sofa bed in the hotel room did not have any welts.

We told the Equinox, and they denied having bed bugs, but they moved us to another room and quaranteed the room we were staying in (Room 632 in the Orvis House). They acknowledged that bed bugs are a growing problem, but still denied having bed bugs and said they inspected the room and found nothing.

I have a picture of the marks on my foot, which the hotel did not want to see -- that is, they didn't want to see my foot at the time and didn't want to see the report from the Northshire Medical Center, which I thought was surprising. I am happy to share both the pictures of my foot and the medical report to anyone who wants to see them.

While the Equinox has lovely staff, we will not be staying there again. What a shame.

2  Thank Brad S
MarkONeillGM, General Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Brad thank you for your feedback regarding your experience. I am pleased that you found the staff to be lovely. Given the nature of our business, it is our expressed commitment to make every guest experience positive, and I regret that your experience was not an enjoyable one. We inspect the room, and out of an abundance of caution hired a third party company to come in to conduct a thorough inspection and are pleased that the results were negative.
We have also implemented a thorough training program for our housekeeping and maintenance personnel to assist in the early recognition of infestation. I want to assure you that we have fully implemented the policy and protocols here at The Equinox Resort and Spa.
We hope you will consider staying with us again. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Very truly yours, Mark

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We are SPG Preferred and have stayed here several times on points. I'm not sure that I would stay here if paying rack rate cash as it can be quite pricey, but the price is comparable to similar level hotels in the area.

The service in general is very gracious for hotel guests and we love that we can bring our dog with us. We travel with her own bed/bowls/toys/treats/etc, but the hotel does provide those for your fur-child if desired. The little touches like the send-off water and donuts are very much appreciated and make you feel just a bit more pampered. We always love sitting on their porch or by the fire pit in the evening, and the cheese plate is wonderful.

Each time we have stayed at the hotel, the room quality has been a little different. I think because of the way the hotel has been built, added on, and renovated some rooms are definitely better than others. We have stayed in one that was a tad dingy and had walls seemingly made of paper, and we could hear every little sound and feel every little rumble that happened in the hotel. On the occasion that we were upgraded, we got a much more spacious room a bit farther away that seemed newer and much more comfortable. The inconsistency didn't keep us from multiple visits, but just be aware and ask for a newer/quieter room if it matters to you.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Where to start, they have a 3:00pm check-in rooms were not ready until after 5:00pm and even then other guests were being told that their rooms would not be ready until after 6:30pm. Their excuse was that they had been busy the night before and were still playing catch up! This supposedly luxury hotel did not even offer a complimentary cocktail or apology for the inconvenience. We had booked 2 rooms that were interconnecting due to 2 disabled teenagers in the second room; upon trying to open the interconnecting doors one door was locked, quick call to maintenance, they responded promptly only to have a puzzled maintenance man say he didn't know why the door was locked and he had tried all the keys he had and nothing worked, that was the last we heard regarding opening the door. Quick check both rooms had access to a private balcony so we would be able to access 2nd room, only problem the floorboards on the balcony were rotten and there was a hole where someone had broken through the floor, when the front desk was informed of this their reaction was "Oh, really we don't know anything about a broken board". We also had other friends in our party that had a room overlooking the firepit area, sounds nice until you are woken at 2:00am by the loud drunken singing of campfire songs, such a restfull luxury hotel - NOT! This is not the first time we have stayed at The Equinox and it is the continuation of expectations not being met that have led me to posting this review; this is just the worst of less than stellar stays at this poorly run property that should be so much more than it is. Also to give credit where credit is due the bell staff is great, especially a young man by the name of Nick.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
MarkONeillGM, Front Office Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Graham B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your experience during your stay at The Equinox as it does help us pinpoint areas that we can work toward improving for our guests. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was less than perfect and that there were some issues regarding the connecting rooms and floor boards. We have immediately looked to resolving the concerns mentioned and I would love to connect with you regarding your stay and have the opportunity to restore your faith in our historic resort. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss this in person,

Sunny Regards,

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My hubby and I visited the Equinox on one of our road trips through the New England states. Wow, this place was wonderful! Great concierge service, hiking trails were the BEST, room was gorgeous, toiletries were a must to take, valet was quick, shuttle service was a delight, service was spot on, seriously great stay. I booked it though a TravelZoo discount at 60% off. I would never pay for any hotel of that price without searching for discounts. The place looked so historic and therefore the walls were a little thin. We didn't care one bit. We used the gym and their spa like bathroom. Wish we would have stayed longer!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple