“The Equinox Is The Glorious Heart of New England!”

The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersGold level
Harrison, New York
“The Equinox Is The Glorious Heart of New England!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

From the moment you arrive at the Equinox you feel surrounded by the charming history of the building itself - with ancient Vermont marble stairs and the original white house and green shutters. It is a grand and inviting place. Your very special vacation begins as soon as you are greeted at the entrance by the wonderful staff who makes sure your every need is met throughout your stay.
The interior has been transformed into a modern oasis but still maintaining the old world charm of the original place. The rooms are beautifully and perfectly appointed to a very high luxury standard, and you are tempted to stay put there and enjoy the relaxation of it all. However, the common areas areas are all ones you and your family want to spend time in too. Big stone fireplaces, the cozy Falconer Bar with local bluegrass bands playing, excellent restaurants to choose from and a sweet gift shop. The spa, pool and hot tub are all in a gorgeous colonial neoclassical building with big picture windows and not to be missed. Snow shoeing is also a must!
Your day begins with one of the best buffet breakfasts I and my family have ever had. Everything delicious you can imagine with local specialties all topped off with hot maple syrup from a big samovar! You are perfectly located in Manchester, VT to enjoy many different activities. We have only been there for ski vacations and you have many downhill and nordic ski options all nearby. We always take a day off the slooes to see Hildene House, A Lincoln family home, and our very favorite The Northshire Bookshop where we have spent hours perusing the many floors of books - there are gifts and a wonderful cafe too. One special treat on our last visit was the Dorset Farmers' Market (indoors) -- I love farmers' markets and this is one of my favorites -- live music, artisans and wonderful local produce. You really feel like you are experiencing real Vermont there!
We can't wait for our next trip into this special New England paradise known as the Equinox!

Room Tip: We have stayed in rooms all over the hotel and they are all wonderful.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Armonk
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have been coming to The Equinox for 15 years. Sometimes on my own, sometimes with my husband for a romantic getaway, and sometimes with my whole family. I always refer to it as "my happy place"! The staff is always over the top helpful and accommodating. There are so few things you can count on these days, but my stays here never disappoint. Thanks to you all!

Room Tip: Since this is an old historic building, it's a good idea to request the top floor due to the cre...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MarkONeillGM, General Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hello and thank you for your kind words. I am delighted that the Equinox has become such a treasured destination for you and your family. We look forward to helping you create many more exceptional memories. I hope to see you back in the Green Mountain State very soon.
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Just returned from a three day mental health vacation and stayed at the Equinox Hotel in Manchester, Vermont. From the moment I got there, the staff''s professionalism and friendliness took over. I asked for an upgrade and was given a beautiful duplex suite with windows on three sides in the suite and an upper floor with windows facing in all directions. What beautiful views of the city. Great bar and restaurant, Marsh's Tavern. The Shephard's Pie included lamb, duck and braised beef with potatoes. Fantastic. This was the 23rd time I have stayed here and each visit was better than the last.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Don K
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is an overdue recommendation for the best concierge I have ever encountered in my travels, Astri Kilburn at the Manchester Vermont Equinox Hotel. Astri contacted us well in advance of our
stay last October and we instantly hit it off as her son lives near our hometown. Astri was awesome, arranging area restaurant reservations and when we arrived spent time going over the area maps as well as mapping out a planned route for our way to Philadelphia. She followed up when we cam home with a beautiful picture postcard of Manchester Astri is a true asset of the Equinox and one of my best memories of our visit to the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

From the moment you drive up to The Equinox you feel the warmth and hospitality of this small town resort. People are very friendly starting with the valet service and bellhops. At first, I was surprised that the resort was right on Main Street and not set back a bit, but as time went on, it turned out to be a great asset as we were able to quickly leave the premises with our car easily. Valet was really good about having your car ready when you need it. The entire staff was attentive and willing to accommodate any and all special requests. The breakfast buffets were excellent; complimentary coffee from the urns and complimentary newspapers were available each morning; a complimentary car service is available to take you into town when requested; 24/7 access to the gift shoppe upon request is available; a very very special feature! In case you need medication,etc. The fireplaces in multiple locations add to the winter charm. The Marsh Tavern- a great restaurant where the food was just perfect- I felt as though it could have been one of our Manhattan spots. The spa was nice- and the fitness center was just average- small but adequate. On the down side, the room furnishings are dated as the hotel is quite old and we did need to put blocks under the bed to elevate the head because the floor was crooked and the bed was tilting back, but this was fixed on the very first day. The resort is a distance to Stratton Mountain and the drive is 30 minutes away- so know that! After a day of skiing, you are always welcomed back to the property with a warm Welcome Back and complimentary Hot Apple Cider in The Great Room. All in all, The Equinox was a positive experience, we love the charm, the friendliness of the staff and all the amenities it has to offer. I would highly recommend this resort and I hope to return again.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank SaffyMD
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I would like to extend my gratitude towards the staff for the exceptional service. There was warm hospitality from the moment we walked through the doors. From Kenny, the front desk agent, and Ed, the concierge. The housekeeping staff, particularly Anna, was always very attentive. Overall the spa team was superb! Tom from the restaurant made our evening fantastic with his top-notch service. Matt from IRD should also be noted for providing wonderful service, too.
Thank you for the wonderful weekend and over the top Hospitality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed January 18, 2013

As Sheraton Gold members we have come to expect a certain level of excellence at Sheraton Luxury hotels. Unfortunately this standard was not met on the first night of our stay. After a pleasant check in, we had dinner and retired early as my wife had worked 14 hours the previous day. At 1:00 A.M. the room (435) next to us was noisely opened and occupied. At 2:00 A.M. the occupants decided to leave and come back to their room. Our sleep was disturbed several times because of the late check-in of these guests. I believe the first responsibility of a hotel is to ensure a good night's sleep for its guests. In this respect the hotel failed because of its 24-hour check-in service. To place very late arrivals next to occupied rooms is inconsiderate and poor foresight.

To make up for this poor decision, the hotel manager graciously gave us another room (412) and ensured that no one would be next to us - an excellent gesture and one appreciated. The next two nights were fine.

The quality of the rooms were very good except for some lighting issues over the sinks. Also the thermostat did not control the room temperature well.

As a skier I would have appreciated a ride to Stratton Mountain, something that was provided in the past. This would make the hotel much more attractive to skiers who like the ski-in ski-out experience, otherwise skiers like me will go to resorts that offer that benefit.

The young staff was very accomodating and friendly. Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Equinox.

- Igor

Room Tip: Request a room that does not allow for late arrivals next to it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple