The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Four Winds Country Motel(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$89
Palmer House(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$119
Aspen at Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$99
Weathervane Motel(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$120
$116
The INN at Willow Pond(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$201
$139
Manchester View(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$99
Olympia Lodge(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$110
Wilburton Inn(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$161
The Stamford Motel & Restaurant(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$84
The Reluctant Panther Inn & Restaurant(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$186
Hotwire.com
1,454 results
All reviewsmarsh tavernchop housefire pitfalcon barindoor poolhistoric hotelstarwood pointsconcierge deskmain buildinghot tubcider donutsfalconry schoolnew englandbeautiful resortlocker roomhiking trailsold world charm
Reviewed January 5, 2013

A lovely luxury hotel. Attention to detail from the moment you pull up in front of the grand hotel. Bell hop, valet, front dest, wait staff, cleaning staff and anyone else was more than happy to accommodate. All went above and beyond to make out stay enjoyable, fun and relaxing. The lounges and restaurants were excellent. Food was excellent in the pub or the fine dining room.The hotel is in a great location for shopping, scenic drives, skiing, and many other activities. Horse and buggy ride was wonderful. Take time to just sit by the fire and relax, chat, read.... Enjoy!

Room Tip: Request a room in the main hotel. Hall ways were a little cool so bring a sweater while in the main rooms and hallways. The hotel room was very comfortable and of course could be controlled by thermostat in the room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here on points for New Year's Eve, was was great because the regular room rate would have been $600, but we got it for free. We had a great time -- the hotel provides a list of daily activities, which we loved. We did things we never would have thought of or known to do, like taking a shooting lesson. It was so fun and we learned a ton! (Be warned, though, it was $400 for the two of us.) The hotel is wonderfully situated so we just walked right out for a beautiful hike on Mt. Equinox, and also walked to dinner at the Reluctant Panther, which was spectacular -- a must do if you are there. There is a handy shuttle to take you around if you need it, which we used once for dinner. We also visited the spa. Far from the best massage I've ever had, but nice and relaxing. The pool looked nice as well, although I didn't go in it. We were super excited for the NYE bonfire, but they cancelled it, citing wind. We tried to sit by the firepit, but it's just a gas fire and not warm at all. The bar was very full so we just went up to our room and celebrated by ourselves. Overall, we had a super fun time and plan to come back again.

Now about the rooms. They are nice, but definitely not 5-star rooms. Probably 3.5 stars, with the bathroom more of a 3-star. The armoir had a big scratch across the front, probably because it was cheap, and there was a speck of some kind of dirt stuck to our bedspread (I'll attach pictures when I get a chance). At $600/night, I would have been appalled. At free, I was still happy -- I just folded back the bedspread to reveal the bright, clean duvet beneath it, and I ignored the scratches on the furniture. Room service was prompt and delicious, but there was no table cloth on the table -- the breakfast tray was just set right on the ugly plastic table! I never knew what those things really looked like underneath, because I have never in my life been delivered room service with no table cloth. 5-star? I think not. But I forgive them because they were fast and breakfast was yummy. They also brought hot chocolate to our room on NYE in like 15 minutes flat. I approve.

As other reviewers have noted, the hallways are cold as hell. I like this because when I come in from outside dressed for 25 degree weather in my down coat, I don't like to start sweating bullets the minute I walk in the door. We turned up the heat in our room and it was cozy as can be. The other areas, like the Marsh Tavern, were an appropriate temperature. Also, the burger in the Marsh Tavern was pretty delicious, although overcooked. Details, details.

My advice to the hotel to raise it up to a 5 star:
--Buy nicer furniture. It will last longer and won't scratch.
--Up your game on the cleaning protocols. I should never see dirt on my bedspread.
--Invest in better lighting. The lamps were fine but the florescent lights in the entryway and bathroom were creepy at first. Although maybe this is the Vermont eco-friendliness.
--Upgrade your bathrooms -- these look not much better than what you would find in a Courtyard Marriott, or similar. However, kudos on the make-up removing towelettes. Fabulous addition to the toiletries tray that I don't think I have ever seen before (even at the St. Regis or Ritz!)
--Tell your kitchen not to let a table go out for room service without a table cloth. Again, details matter.
--Teach your massage therapists that the massage is a ritual, not a just a service. You can't just show up and jump right into the massage. Usually the therapist should begin by telling me about the process and putting some eucalytpus or other refreshing scent in front of my face to breath in relaxation and prepare me for the experience. A flower in a bowel of water on the floor under the face pad is also a nice touch.
--More and bigger fires. The fireplaces didn't look inviting enough.

Despite these criticisms, we had a great time and would certainly return. The main asset is that there is just so much to do, and they are so great about informing you of all the fun activities. If they smooth out some of the rough edges, I think this could definitely be a 5-star property.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kate0614
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is our third visit to the Equinox and it once again did not dissappoint. Despite the history of this hotel it is anything but a stuffy cold place but is rather warm and welcoming with amazing amenities. They really go out of their way to ensure that everything you need is taken care of and the service was incredible. Everyone is friendly and helpful. The little extras from movies at night for the kids, a well stocked game room and cookies and cider in the afternoon helped to make this family vacation special. The pool and spa and gym are wonderful. We will continue to make this our base for our winter ski trips - cannot go wrong.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2013

What a disappointment

I’ve stayed at the Charles Orvis Inn several times in the past. I chose this romantic location for my first Christmas back in New England after 16 years. What a huge disappointment. It is more akin to an average ski lodge than a luxury resort. First, my room rate was nearly $800 per night before all of the standard taxes, which put it at nearly $1k. I splurged because this was special. Here is what we received specifically; Itinerary not provided at check in. I needed to walk back over to hotel lobby and retrieve. I was told at the desk to see the concierge, which I did. He told me to see the desk, which I did; there it was sitting in the folder.
Room; cobwebs on top of refrigerator, every glass in the cabinet was dirty, rugs required vacuuming, kitchen table was dirty & sticky, pillows on coach and chairs stained and a bit grungy from years of use, bedroom fine but one small bureau for all of our clothing (we stayed packed), closet had no shelf, no extra blankets, two small bathrobes, iron, ironing board & 5 coat hangers.
The bathroom was absolutely the most disgusting area of the “Luxury Suite.” Sink area was so small and wedged into three surrounding walls that my wife’s makeup bag needed to be placed on the floor. We received plastic cups ($800 per night), one piece of soap, and no other little niceities like q-tips. We had to literally step over the toilet into the tub, reach back out and turn the shower on. Very dangerous. The floor, shower, tiles and mirror had so much mold and mildew that we took our second and last shower over at the spa. Bathroom floor was filthy and all of the broke tiles were held together with white caulking that looked like it was applied with a brush. It was truly so very disappointing.
We enjoyed the Marsh tavern for dinner on Christmas Eve. Service was great, food was wonderful, and bartender was very cordial.
Christmas dinner was not at all what we had hoped for. My wife ate the cheese and mashed potatoes only. Everything I tried was warm at best. We sat at 330 for a buffet that ran from 2p-7p. Neither of us would try the ham because it was so overcooked. Dessert trays were mostly empty, and food presentation was not up to par with a resort. I can honestly say that many of the wait staff were wearing absolutely filthy uniforms as though they had worked so many hours that they never did their laundry. It was very unappealing.

The Christmas decorations were minimal at best. In the Charles Orvis Inn, there was an artificial tree with white lights. That’s it!
All in all, we could not bring ourselves to waste another dime here. We checked out two days early and drove 4 hours home in a storm cancelling our scheduled sleigh ride and snowmobile experience.

I don’t know what happened here, but it is singularly the worst experience we have had. At $150-$175 you would not have heard from me. At the price we paid, I feel as though we were horrible misled. My wife and I are both Starwood Preferred Guests because of the frequency of our travel. We will never return to this “Resort?” and certainly never recommend it again. What a disappointment.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kevin L
MarkONeillGM, General Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay. We are truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations and that you left our resort feeling disappointed with our service. We strive to provide our guest with an exceptional experience and we obviously did not acheive that with your stay. Please know that your concerns will be addressed with our housekeeping department regarding the cleanliness of your room and our restaurant about the unsatisfactory meal that you received. I am truly sorry that we did not have the opportunity during your stay to address these issues but if you are willing, please contact me at the resort so that we might furthur address your concerns and restore your faith in our resort. Best regards.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at Equinox Dec 2012 and I was quite disappointed at the whole experience. This is supposed to be a luxury resort and luxury it was not. The hallways were freezing so much that we had to wear our coats while walking around. We even tried going to their "Library" and sitting by the fire and that wasn't even warm enough. There was a small little fire to heat up a large room. The feel of the hotel was cold and something out of the Shining. We both got massages and they were good. The Sauna and Steam rooms were tiny and could only fit 2 people. Luckily no one was there so we were okay, but I can't imagine if it was crowded. The staff was friendly. We had dinner at Chop and it was good. Nothing special. The rooms were very noisy. We had drinks at a bar downstairs and then went outside by the fire pit and I realized that the heat lamps weren't on. It was snowing outside and about 7 degrees out. Not sure why you wouldn't turn on heat lamps. This place does not feel like a luxury resort nor does it have a New England charm. I definitely would not come here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple