“True meaning of resort.”

The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We can't wait to come back to Vermont just to stay at the Equinox. The falconry school is also on our list of things to do next time we stay here. We got two rooms and really enjoyed our stay. We rented some bikes and rode around the area. Manchester is beautiful. The history behind this hotel is really cool too, because Ethan Allen and other revolutionary soldiers sat in the hotel tavern and strategized. If you love history and a good night's stay, then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband surprised me with a trip here for my birthday. The property is beautiful and the staff is very nice. Unfortunately, we came late in the season (last weekend of October) so the trees were pretty much bare. As some other reviewers have said, the rooms are fine...like a very nice hotel room. However, for over $500 a night, I expected a lot more in terms of decor. In addition, the walls in the main building (at least on the 4th floor) are paper thin. On Sunday morning at around 8:45 am, a group of people in the next room must have been meeting up with another group for breakfast. I swear it sounded like they were in our room. We heard all about how little "Oliver" fell and got a boo-boo while another Mom was yelling for her kids Adam and Phoebe. Part of the issue is obviously the lack of courtesy of the hotel guests to be quiet on a Sunday morning but the lack of sound-proofing between the rooms certainly didn't help. We did not have dinner at the Equinox but we did enjoy sitting by the outdoor fire pit for a night cap. My husband and I both had massages at the spa the next day. I think my poor husband thought he booked a "couples massage" where we would be in the same room but we were in separate rooms. The spa area is very nice and we enjoyed the massages. Overall, it was a nice trip but I wouldn't necessarily consider it the best spot for a "romantic" couples weekend. There are a lot of children around and the rooms don't have that special feeling for the price. Several years ago we went to the Chambery Inn in MA (see my prior review) which had a 4 poster bed, seating area in the room, free in-room breakfast delivered in a basket which was what I was expecting at the Equinox. For a couples getaway, I would lean towards a smaller, more intimate spot. However, for leaf-peeping and outlet shopping, the Equinox would be good for families.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I had an enjoyable stay at the Equinox. It is a large property with newly renovated rooms. There was an excellent spa and my husband played a round of golf on the hotel's course. We ate a fine meal at the Marsh Tavern and had a drink at the really nice firepit area one evening. My only argument is that the rooms don't have much character, they seem like typical rooms you'd find in any good hotel. I wish there was more of a Vermont country feel to them. But, all in all, a very nice hotel.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 days at the Equinox and had a wonderful time. We were upgraded to a funky (in a good way) 'suite' with a comfortably large bedroom and a living room up an internal flight of stairs to a 'cupola' room with a 360 degree view. The only problem we encountered was with the internet signal which was basically non-existent in the cupola.

We chose to dine at the Marsh Tavern at the Equinox and as vegans, we wondered how we'd be treated. Well, the chef came out to speak with us...and prepared two incredible courses both vegan...both exceptionally delicious. I wish I had thought to photograph the dishes.

We played golf twice at the Equinox course (first time was after a significant rain, so the course was muddy) and had a great time. The course is beautiful though not quite 'country club' groomed. (The carts could have been better cleaned before use). The staff at the course were very accommodating and delightful.

The concierge was very helpful with other restaurants that would accommodate our diet and with other sights to see in the area. We also took advantage of the free guided tour of the Equinox mountain and really enjoyed a two and half hour 'walk-about' and leaf peeping. The guide was terrific and well informed.

Not much to criticize, but we did wish there were more places to sit near the fireplaces. The one in the entry lobby has seating not well placed for cozy fireplace seating and the one that offers comfortable seating only has place for 6 or so people.

That aside, the property is intimate and warm with extra helpful staff. We valet parked and had the car immediately when needed. The outdoor deck (with fantastic fire pit) was comfortable and we enjoyed many conversations with fellow guests.

All in all, the Equinox exceeded our expectations (and I'm a long term SPG Platinum, so I have high expectations...lol) and we look forward to a revisit one day. Next time, we'll try the falconing which sounds fantastic. We're not into fishing, but we spoke with a few people there who loved the fly fishing school.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkONeillGM, General Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Hello, and thank you for your kind words. I am absolutely thrilled that you and your wife had an exceptional experience at the Equinox! We are very fortunate to have such a talented and creative chef, as well as a full complement of ambassadors who truly enjoy creating memorable experiences for our guests.

I am so pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful autumn setting. I hope that you are able to return soon to experience more of our unique activities. Again, thank you so much for your feedback.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Had a great experience... The room was very comfortable and clean. Staff was very hospitable and helpful with the local attractions. You may enjoy a cocktail at the classic Falcon Tavern, Outdoor Fire Pit or by any of the cozy indoor Fireplaces. We had a very delicious breakfast delivered to the room in the morning for a reasonable price. Also, the spa was clean and very relaxing (included in the room charge was access to the pool, hot tub, steam room and sauna). Free valet parking. Would recommend the resort to all.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Our first leaf peeping excursion to VT and to celebrate our 20th Anniversary. This is a great hotel. Historic in nature but updated and upgraded. In fact, missed a little bit of the victorian feel inside. The decor is interestingly updated, but it helped to keep it from feeling too "old". The outdoor deck, large (propane) fire pit/bar were great surprises and a nice place to hang and relax. Also enjoyed the entertainment at the Falcon. Really good groups. The location is convenient to all area attractions without being in the noisier part of town. We had a pleasant surprise when we drove up the Mt. Equinox toll road (well worth it) and walked down the trail at the top to Lookout Rock. We were right on the ridge 2,000 ft above the hotel. A great new perspective and kind of a play on "Hey I can see our house from here". Staff were all friendly and helpful as always. Be warned at breakfast though, we didn't opt for the buffet and were poured coffee and oj before being given a menu and then charged $5 for a glass of OJ and $3 for a cup of Green Mountain Coffee that I can get out of my Keurig for 55 cents. When we pointed out that we were not explained this, the waitress did graciously take those charges off the bill. But the food was great and it was much better than having to go off premise for b'fast. All in all a nice place and we look forward to returning. We also hike in then preserve behind the hotel. There's a trail head right off the parking lot. Greatly convenient and beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level mountain view.