“Great location and fun for family”

The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a wonderful trip to Southern Vermont in late August. The Equinox hotel rooms were nice and the resort was very comfortable for the whole family. Spa for Mom and Grandmother. Golf for Dad and Grandfather. Kids did the falconry course and archery course plus indoor swimming pool. We all went on the Land Rover driving school which was great fun. The hiking trails begin right at the Equinox resort which is very convenient. Make sure you take the drive to the top of Skyline Drive - really nice views of Southern Vermont. Also go to the General Stores in the area, like Vermont Country Store and there are always the outlets in Manchester. We went to Dorset to the old marble quarry which is now a swimming hole - the kids had a great time! Also in Dorset on Sundays is the farmer's market which has wonderful food! We had a fabulous meal in Manchester at Silver Spoon - outstanding! Another night we ate at the Steak restaurant at the Equinox - good but not great. Very fun summer or fall vacation spot for the whole family.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mbdonley

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Can't say enough nice things about our room, front desk experience, the location, indoor pool, landscaping, etc. Simply world-class.

The food? Meh. Nothing really stood out except the French Toast at breakfast. If you eat dinner at the Equinox, plan your evening carefully, because our dinners were served at a Bermuda-like crawl. Yes, one night was a business conference with 250+ diners, but, c'mon, 3 hours? And this came one night after a private dinner party with a dozen or so had stretched for 3+ hours. Memo to management -- hire some more staff.

So, enjoy your days and all there is to do at the resort, but I suggest you find a couple restaurants in downtown Manchester unless you're looking for a marathon experience.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I got a great deal from Living Social so decided to book 2 rooms for our family of 6 and also redeemed my points and try the Equinox Resort. Unfortunately Living Social deals were only for the Inns so we had to change rooms after the first two nights. The main building is well maintained and beautiful but the Inns were not worth the deal. We got 2 rooms with the deal and I thought I got a great bargain but I was very disappointed especially when I spent 2 nights at a very comfortable room at the main building. The Inn was very small and the rooms were poorly lit and had musty odor. Only had 2 low wattage lamps in each room so it would've been very hard to read unless you were sitting by the bed. The storage was unlocked and widely open showing linens which is fine as we just had to close it but I was confused at first sight.

When I booked the hotel I told Starwood agent that I had 4 small children and he contacted the hotel to make sure that it was okay for all of us to stay in one room. I'm glad I had asked first because I guess they normally don't allow it but being a Gold member they had upgraded our room to deluxe which was very spacious. And the room was perfect for us as we had the ice machine in front of our room and were near the staircase so we don't have to use the elevator. If I was staying any longer I would have asked for a mini fridge for kids milk as room service milk was little steep but two nights without milk wasn't too bad.

When we checked in there were wedding going on so it was very uncomfortable walking around casually with 4 kids so we stayed away from the hotel the first day as the staff seemed very superficial and distracted. My husband tipped the parking attendant for unloading our luggage and he asked if it was for the bell man or for him as they don't pool tips. For some reason I thought the valet was free... Second day too there were wedding guests everywhere so it was hard with 4 kids with staff being not so interested and showing almost hint of snootiness. I caught the door man and the front desks exchanging looks and talking about us when I went back to ask a question. Didn't really cared as we are use to getting lot of stares with 4 boys every where we go... They were handing out free donuts in a nice box for everyone but not one person asked if our kids wanted one. I don't let my kids eat donut in the morning so it was fine anyway but just the gesture would've been nice.

The concierge on the other hand was super friendly. We were really lost as what to do in Vermont as the hotel was clearly geared for couples and older folks. They suggested Bromley which was a BIG hit with all the boys and we ended up doing tennis lesson and family golf the next day. Instructor made tennis fun for the boys and kids really enjoyed golf. We were too distracted with the kids to play golf but we had great time playing who can putt the best and just driving hole to hole admiring the views and seeing the fun layout. If we had to do it again we will wait till kids grow up a little. So defiantly recommend to couples and we will revisit in the future as fly fishing and golf is what my husband enjoys the most. My highlight of the trip -- having cheese platter and the bottle of wine by the fire pit with the kids. The picturesque mountain background was so peaceful...

Room Tip: If you are staying at the townhouse Inn, avoid the lower floor. I was constantly awaken early in the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank 4boyzAJIN
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel is so stunning to look at from the outside - it's like stepping back in time to colonial days. It's located in a small town surrounded by mountains. Gorgeous! We checked in early and our room wasn't ready, so we had lunch outside and soon the front desk called us that our room was available. We stayed in room 435 - king deluxe, I think-- good location, high up with a view of the mountains. It's at the end of the hall, so there's not much noise in the hallway to hear. The room was large and very comfortable. The bed was soooo comfy. We had a large walk-in shower which was fabulous and the towels were large and so soft.

There's a large deck on the back of the hotel with lounge chairs and umbrellas if you want shade. Waiters are at your command for drinks. So very relaxing. There are many areas around the resort to sit and relax. The large fire pit is so relaxing to sit by at night. The pool is indoors, very large and inviting. We got a notice of acitivities for the day and noticed they had a pool aerobics class at no cost. Also pilates, dance classes, etc. for a fee. I thinks it's great that they provide activites for their guests.

We had breakfast at the hotel. While it was good, we found it very expensive. $50 for 2 of us.

My husband and I both had massages and enjoyed them very much. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. We said many times that we found a new destination for a quick getaway retreat.

Room Tip: Room 435 is on the 4th floor, high enough to see the mountains. It has a quiet location.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We arrived before check-in and our room was ready. The room was magnificent and they took care of every special Menity we had asked for. These were really first class accommodations and made our trip that much better. The concierges helped us put together a great itinerary with no advance notice. The staff at the hotel constantly went out of their way to help us with everything we needed!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 8, 2012

The Equinox Hotel Resort and Spa was the perfect weekend getaway for my husband and I as we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. The rooms are beautifully appointed and very clean. The pedicure in the spa was a luxurious way to relax after hiking on the mountain behind the hotel. Sitting at the fire pit on the back patio of the Falcon Bar was the perfect ending to the weekend!.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ceordh
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Equinox is one of our favorite places to stay. The spa is outstanding and offers a variety of services for men and women. The hotel and staff are outstanding and extremely friendly as well. The food in the restaurant is good but does not change enough from year to year for my taste. The fire pit outside is great fun for socializing and having a drink with friends. I have stayed here for work functions and for fun and always have had a great experience and friendly service. The pool and exercise room are substancial compared to other locations. The resort town houses are a nice option if available. I love that it is so close to shopping in town as well. Nice escape!

Room Tip: Need reservations! Great place for a conference as well. We were treated great for a large group.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple