“Family stay at The Equinox Resort & Spa”

The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Our family recently had the most enjoyable stay at the Equinox Resort & Spa. From the meticulous accommodations to the phenomenal food (the perfect menu for adults and children) we would absolutely recommend this resort to anyone looking for the perfect New England getaway, anytime of year. We went during the holidays and enjoyed the true charm the resort had to offer (decorations, relaxing in front of the fireplace, enjoying the warm in-door pool). On top of all this, the associates at the resort were friendly and helpful, and equally important, were readily available to assist.

Our only regret... we didn't stay longer. Next time we certainly will. We highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,434)

Reviewed January 7, 2012

We had a wonderful stay , the associates couldn't have been nicer, Eryn with a warm welcome after our long drive, Check in fabulous, Jennifer made sure our friends were across the hall, Stacy from housekeeping had us set up perfectly for the week , the team could not do enough for us. The rooms were very comfortable and charming. Evenings spent by the fire with games available for us to play. The week was very relaxing and we experienced outsatnding service by Kim in the Marsh tavern, she understood children and made our daughter feel very special. We had a wonderful week and highly recommend

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed at this property over Thanksgiving. Beautiful property, brimming with old New England Charm. The property is newly renovated and very comfortable to stay in. It is an old establishment, therefore have limited amenities (ex., our deluxe room, an upgrade from standard ... does not have a tub). For our purposes, we were fine without a tub but it is rather basic given it is marketed as a 'luxurious' destination.

Prior to arrival, we received a personal email from the hotel confirming our stay, mentioning what they cannot provide (e.g., Suites unavailable -- which is fine) and confirming others that they can (e.g., microwave needed for our infant's feeding). I thought this was a very nice touch.

Personnel were all friendly - room service, valet, front desk, concierge, etc. Room service was very prompt, the food was not great. Very friendly staff but that said there were glaring instances which I would consider incompetence. Some instances:

- At check in, I asked if our room had a view. The response "we have no suites available" (plus diatribe). I said I got the email and fine if we don't have a suite, I was curious to know if we had a view of the mountains or the parking lot. The response "we have no suites available". At this point, I addressed the clerk by his first name and said "I DO NOT need a suite but what do we see out the window?". Finally, he said "Trees ... but it is because you requested for a quiet room". For the record, I had no specific request for a quiet room -- perhaps that was their decision since we informed them we have a baby with us. Net of it, I was fine with whatever room they had but it was rather annoying to deal with somebody who cannot even listen!!

- After the rather bizaare exchange, the clerk finally got IT that I was fine with the room. When I confirmed that the microwave was already in the room. Without looking at my reservation, he says "No, we ran out, we dont have any". I told him - I have the email confirming a microwave, I have the voicemail confirming the microwave. If he is saying it is not available, then let me know where I can sterilize bottles. After checking, ahhh - they have one available. Again, might be nice to get facts straight before you give your guest additional grief.

- We stayed 3 nights. We were awoken the first morning by the chambermaid. Yes, we had the "do not disturb" sign on our knob but that didnt stop her - the deadbolt did. When we were leaving, I called housekeeping to let them know we are leaving so they can clean the room. On our way out, also left a message at the front desk. That evening, we come back to a room that was untouched. Too tired to deal with it. Same deal the following day. They would not have cleaned the room until my THIRD call to Housekeeping.

Net of it, housekeeping and front desk are basic services for even a 3-star hotel. But for one that markets at this level, it is unacceptable. Front desk who not only smiles but actually listens. Housekeeping that does not wake you up and puts an extra roll of TP should they forget to show up - I don't think that is much to ask and could not even rate the establishment average.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank MitchellNAssociates
MarkONeillGM, General Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2012

Welcome, and thank you for your comments. I regret that we did not offer a flawless experience during your November visit. I agree that our ambassadors provide impeccable service, however we clearly did not deliver on some of the basics during your visit. I am truly sorry. Please call me directly if you would like to discuss. In the meantime, I wish you a Happy New Year and appreciate the detailed feedback.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

I find that most north east mountain accomodations are terrible. This was luxury in comparison. There were lots of kids running all over the place, the heat didn't work, we set it to 67 degrees and it was so hot we had to just turn it off, then it would be freezing cold. Also, the bed was very uncomfortable, we had trouble sleeping. Don't plan on using the indoor heated pool as there are so many kids screaming & running all over the place that it is not relaxing at all. In addition, they do not enforce the adults only policy in the hot tub so tons of kids completely ruin the relaxation there as well.

Other than that, the rooms & hotel were clean, nicely decorated, food was good in all the restaurants, terrace with heaters & fire were amazing & the location to town & ski slopes was great. Compared to most places in Vermont ski areas, this was great & I would probably stay again. Just would not expect a romantic weekend...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsGnBD
Reviewed December 31, 2011

My wife and I had first visited Equinox this past August but we were only there for 1 night as we were on our way north to Montreal. We loved the place so much that we decided to come back for Christmas Weekend. This time, however, we had our newborn 1 month old baby with us.

We used SPG points as the rack rates were exceptionally high for Christmas weekend (we booked on Dec 12 when rates were $480/night). As always, the service was excellent from the moment we pulled up. The valets took our suitcases from our car and brought them up to our room while we drove into the town for dinner. When we returned, our bags were neatly organized waiting in our room along with the baby crib that we requested in advance.

Our room was a handicap-accessible room that faced the mountain. It wasn't as large as the one we had on our prior trip that faced the courtyard, probably because the bathroom was exceptionally large. We didn't need much space but with the crib, but it felt a bit cramped.

Mimi the Concierge advised us to book a seating for the Christmas buffet dinner. While it was $70/person, it was quite a spread and quite well done (roast beef, ham, goose, chilled crab legs, froie gras, cheeses, shrimp cocktail, raw oysters and our new favorite smoked mussels). We thought we'd get a lot of stares for bringing a 1 month old to dinner, but it was much more smart casual than it was formal and many families had young children with them as well. We had both breakfasts in the same room, but we opted for the a la carte options instead of the buffet. They had some excellent choices and I highly recommend the Hash & Eggs and the pancakes.

The resort seemed pretty full this weekend, but it never felt overwhelming, except for the bar at night and around the fireplaces (for obvious reasons). The free Green Mountain coffee and tea was a nice touch as was the free WiFi in the rooms.

On Christmas morning, my wife and I went for a hike behind the resort and walked up to Robin's Lookout. It was a perfect hike for NYC novices who just wanted to enjoy the fresh mountain air. We're looking forward to our next trip where we will try some more trails.

After checkout on Monday, we went for an intro lesson at the British School of Falconry. It was $70 for a 30 minute session but this was a truly unique experience to learn about and handle these beautiful birds of prey. My wife was able to watch and take photos for free. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2011

From the moment you are greeted at the door you are well taken care of. Great hotel to relax and feel pampered.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Beautiful property in great town and ideal setting for weekend with family, but limited nu,ber of suites FYI

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
#2 of 2 in Stratton Mountain
Olympia Lodge
Olympia Lodge
#4 of 16 in Manchester

Been to The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!