“Staff Professional, Rooms Not Worth the Price”

The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 10, 2007

I will be short and sweet, the common areas are well maintained and the staff is professional and very gracious. Apparently, new management has taken over the property as of 4 months ago.

We had some disappointments that I won't air on this site as I believe the minor issues will be addressed going forward.

In summary, the rooms are not worth the price as is. Knotty pine and shabby do not equate with such a regal old lovely property.

All in all, I will look to see the promised upgrades.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank opal91086

Reviewed August 30, 2007

Arrived to find no room at the inns as a wedding was on that weekend. Reluctantly tried 1811 not expecting much luck to find they had one room left (The French Room) and would let us have it at a cheaper rate - can't be too good! When shown in my wife and I fell in love with the decor and my son had his own lounge area with TV! Bathroom impressive and finer details thought of (room spray for toilet) Beautiful garden to sit and relax. Breakfast amazing, free coffee, tea and wonderful cookies! Staff couldn't have been more firendly or helpful. Will certainly go back.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank dude53
Reviewed August 30, 2007

This is the fourth year running that we have stayed at The OrvisInn next door. We tried by chance because we were not impressed with the staff at The Equinox. The complete opposite is what you find here (even though it is the same hotel). The staff are so friendly and helpful (you must meet Astri) and the rooms so inviting. We are never disappointed and always a little sad to leave.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank dude53
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Our third stay in three years. Here is our summary of the Great, The Better, The Bad and Progress Coming. We rated it above average for the dining, the staff, the views and the pool. Below average for rooms!

The Great
The hotel is convenient to Boston (our home) and with two young children it is a great place to stay- close to family friendly ski slopes (Bromley and Stratton in the Winter) and the pool (indoor - out door) is super. The view of the Equinox Mountain is spectacular, especially in the evening. The Marsh Tavern and the elegant main dining room are beautiful and the food is superb.

The Better
Our stay in September 2006 was almost our last- with rude front desk service and disorganization in the dining rooms being the main reasons for our disappointment. After reading of the sell of the property by RockResorts we decided to give it another go. We were pleasantly suprised right from the start with the check in service much better and pleasant than before. Bellmen are among the best I have seen. They were gracious when we requested a room change (for a better view). Jerry out front is great- and the dining staff in the Marsh Tavern made our family most welcome. The service in both dining rooms has improved three to four levels.

The SPA is great as well. And rather than the long faces when we asked for help in adjusting the trailer bikes for our children we had two very helpful and seemingly happy maintenance guys help us for a half hour.

Kudos to the new management for making the service equal the expectation derived from the price of the rooms!

The Bad

Now for the bad. The rooms are in need of upgrade. We did not see any shabbiness- but for $ 419 per night one would expect Marriot style pillows, comforters, and mattresses. Bathroom is 1955 industrial and the furniture straigth from 1987. Not worth the price for the rooms. Really incredible that a resort of this type would have rooms that are substandard hotel rooms!

Progress Coming

However Jerry took us to see the new model room which is fantastic. By May of 2008 all of the rooms will be ugraded. If the model is true to life the rooms will be the equal of any Four Seasons or Ritz ! Renovations will start in January 2008- so we will avoid the hotel until then (Apologies to my friends at the Equinox but hotel construction and get aways don't mesh!). The Lobby and Marsh Tavern will be overhauled as will all the public areas. We actually spoke to the GM and architect who were doing a walk through on the Marsh Tavern.

We will have to see but it looks like the Equinox will be restored to its grandeur. Don't take this wrong- the public spaces are beautiful and frankly I don't see the need to touch the Marsh Tavern- and I actully hope that the Main Dining room is left as is.

But such is progress. The rooms need updating.

Stayed: August 2007
7  Thank HPM1984Concord_MA
Reviewed July 31, 2007

A SMELLY!, shabby, dreadful, careworn, eyesore of a room -- seemingly carved out as an afterthought from some condemned part of the building.

The location of the washbasin outside the bathroom was incongruous. This oddity was then made worse by the clutter of junkyard-inspired furniture in the vicinity.

The search for a wall socket to plug in cell phones, etc was almost an exercise in futility -- of the two accessible sockets, one was broken and the other was bare -- with its wire entrails exposed. Thankfully, there were no fatalities.

As for the rusty, noisy, wall-mounted airconditioning unit, it could well have been salvaged from a scrap heap. To its credit though, it did the job of keeping the room cool.

The firmness of the King bed was briefly encouraging. However, pulling back the sheets to encounter TORN, tattered bedding was certainly not.

All told, this room was sad, tired, malodorous and disheartening.

The Equinox Resort & Spa is entitled to boast that it opened for business in 1769; however, it currently charges guests 2007 prices and needs to provide accommodation that is appointed accordingly.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank etickets
Reviewed July 21, 2007

My wife and I had stayed at the Equinox many years ago and it has always been a standing joke with us that the floor in our room was so slanted, the back legs of the dresser had been cut off to make it sit level. We don’t often treat ourselves to high-class accommodations, but things had been quite hectic lately and we decided to splurge for a quiet two day get-away. The trip was a spur-of-the-moment idea, and when we called to make reservations, the only room left was in the townhouse. Remembering from our earlier stay that the rooms in the main hotel were not very sound-proof, we booked the townhouse room thinking that it had to be quieter away from the hustle and bustle. The rate was pretty high ($359/night), but it was only $50 more than the cheapest room in the hotel and we figured at that price it would be something special. We arrived at 2:00pm on our reservation date which was two hours too early for check-in. My wife dropped me off at the golf course and then went shopping at the local outlet shops. The golf course, although comparatively short by today’s standards at 6400+ yards, was a real treat. I had played it several times in the past and it is always in great condition. The greens were fast and true, and the scenery is incredible. It should be for $138 (including cart). I played with a member who was astonished at what the round was costing me.

Our room was a real disappointment. It was clean, but smaller than most standard-sized hotel rooms and there was nothing special about it except that my wife needed a stepladder to get into bed. We could hear every word uttered by our neighbors on the second floor directly over us. When they flushed the toilet, it sounded like Niagara Falls.
That night we ate in the Marsh Tavern which had just changed their menu. The food was average, but the meal was a little pricey due largely to the inflated prices of the drinks.

We found the service to be gracious and friendly. All in all our one night stay was enjoyable, but I don’t think we’ll ever go back. It’s just too pricey for what you get.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NYTraveler55
Reviewed June 27, 2007

The room my husband and I stayed in was okay. It was generally clean but did not let in much light. My two complaints are the uncomfortable mattress (needed to be replaced) and the maid forgot to lock the door after fixing up the room. I was upset by that. The breakfast was nice and we met a lovely couple during our stay. I may have been happier in another room and I hope they will be more carefully in keeping the doors locked after preparing the room. They did have internet availability. Despite my mixed reviews, you should give it a try anyway and decide for yourself.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple