“Disappointed....”

The Reluctant Panther Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I visited the Reluctant Panther in late October 2011 for one night...we were very disappointed in the condition of the room that we were given. Our room was one of the "outside houses" (unfortunately, because it was the peak fall season and they were booked we did not get to stay in the main house, and from what other visitors have stated in other reviews, I can see that they had the same opinion about the poor condition of the exterior of the "outside" house (rotting wood, peeling paint, tired over all appearance) ...on the positive side, the restaurant was very good and the main house, from what we saw, appeared nicer....my big disappointment was when I complained about it (when we were considering staying there again a few months later, and asked for some sort of compensation-perhaps a room in the main house for the same rate that we had paid for the outside room back in October), we were told that the only thing they could do was to give us a deluxe room but charge us the superior rate (and I won't forget to mention that they also have a $50 increase in that rate due to the fact that there was a horse show in the area and they would not bend on taking that fee off either). I was disappointed that they were not even the least bit apologetic and could really care less that we were not satisfied customers at all-I felt the least they could have done was to give us a room in the main house for the same rate as what we had paid for the "outside room" a few months back....If I was the general manager, that would have been a given to keep a guest both happy and returning!! Do yourself a favor and check out the Equinox or the Inn at Manchester (very nice innkeepers and will stay there for sure next time-that is why they are always booked when you call)...premium rates for sub-par rooms and lousy customer service. Won't come back...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank duckling2

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Our stay was okay, nothing special. We stayed in the seminary suite (in the old building). The rugs in the room were weathered and the bed was not comfortable. There were multiple stains on the bed spread. Musty smell in the building.

I have stayed at many SLH hotels and loved everyone of them, but unfortunately, based on the Seminary Suite, I won't be back. I'm assuming that the main building (new building) rooms are nicer given the reviews, so just avoid the Seminary suite.

All else was nice as expected.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Phillagirl
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I have been to Manchester Vermont many, many times and have stayed at one of the best inns they have" Village Country Inn" which unfortunately is no longer open! So sad! But we were always interested in staying at this Inn so I have to say my contact via email with them was excellent with descriptions of suites/reservations with dinner/golf. Unfortunately, we arrived in a horrible rain storm, of course no blame to the Inn, but we arrived and checked in at the main house and they didn't have any umbrellas for our use as we needed to carry our luggage from our car to other house that had our suite in it (The panther suite). It was described to me as a "honeymoon suite" by them. Anyway, we open the front door I noticed a moldy smell and thought it could be the rain. Upon entering our door to the suite you first notice the king size bed which was beautiful BUT the mattress was slanted downwards to the front of the bed so when you laid down on it you felt your legs and feet elevated up from the rest of your body. Also there was a smell from the fireplace which was shut down for the summer which really didn't bother me. What did bother me was their one and only one extremely small closet which was the size of a broom closet which could only hold very few clothes. The dresser that they provided was a three drawer and the bottom drawer was broken which left two. Also, did I mentioned it was a SMALL dresser. I gave my husband both and Kept my clothes in my suitcase on the luggage rack the entire three days we were there. Upon arrival we had a plan that included wine and cheese upon arrival. Delicious I might say but the Inn did provide turn down service and that wine and cheese plate, bucket, wine glasses, our coffee cups,filled garbage cans , were never cleared from our suite or replaced. Only the first night did we had turn down service as the remaining nights they provide this service we didn't have a replacement of the days use of towels, water glasses, coffee cups and garbage cans emptied. The wine bucket/glasses and cheese plate sat on our coffee table for two days. Unfortunately, it rained two out of the three days we stayed here and the INN never had enough umbrellas for it's guests to use to go back and forth from the main building to the guest houses for meals. The second day I woke up with a headache that didn't leave until the day I checked out. I also felt congested and not so well and the moldy smell was consistent in the suite. When my husband and I checked out, he too, was not feeling well and complained of the same symptoms. Later that day when we arrived at another Inn we started feeling better and my headache had finally gone! I knew it must have come from the moldy scent that this house had, as well as our suite. Thank god we didn't stay any longer as we would have gotten sicker.
On the brighter note, the restaurant is a" 5 star"!! Breakfast was delicious as well as the dinners, The service, too, was top notch" 5 star". We will definitely return to their restaurant but not to this Inn. We did notice that the house we were staying in was in dire need of repair as there was broken wood slates outside the front door and peeling paint inside and out. The morning we left we saw workers outside the house making some repairs so I imagine they will be addressing the inside as well. The Inn definitely needs to get their housekeeping in line with better service and daily housekeeping. The Inn also needs to purchase additional umbrellas for their guests to use to and from the main house to the outer cottages with weather issues. We never have stayed at a Inn or a hotel that didn't have enough supply of umbrellas for it's guests. We are just thankful that both of us ended up feeling so much better after we left our suite in their INN. They really need to address the suite has it's in dire need of a makeover with furniture, mattress, and removal of mold.
Sorry Reluctant Panther but our suite was not a healthy and relaxing environment! We were out more than we were in it so thank god we had a fabulous time together and love the area and it's array of activities! We drove up to Woodstock Vt and it was worth checking out for our next visit to Vermont! Sorry but my suggestion is to eat and not stay here!

1  Thank myblkvette99
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We spent one night in this great little hotel on a tour of New England. We would go back for the town and the hotel. We had a large, comfortable room with a very large bathroom. Staff was friendly and attentive. A full breakfast, included in the price of the room, was delicious. We particularly enjoyed sitting around the fire pit in the cool early summer weather with an after-dinner drink.

1  Thank TrvlLuvr2012
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The Ruluctant Panther is a terrific place to stayin New England with a 5 star restaurant. Perfect service

1  Thank Uncle1111
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband took me out for a special birthday dinner in the restaurant. Joe, our server was excellent, very attentive, knowledgable and friendly. We sat next to the window, which had a beautiful view of the backyard with a fountain, flowers and a bridge. The cheese plate was wonderful with local Vermont cheese (highly recommend). I had the sirloin entree which was very tender and tasty, my husband had the special of the night, port medallions which were also flavorful. We shared the creme brulee for dessert, which was a bit disappointing. Overall a very enjoyable night. Prices are on the high end. The Inn is very beautiful and looks like it would be a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: For the restaurant. Ask for the table by the back window (in the summer) and for the winter months...