“Rude staff, poor quality food.”

Freighthouse Market & Cafe
Ranked #15 of 25 Restaurants in Lyndonville
Description: Natural and Organic foods. Our market is a natural foods store with local Vermont products, and a Cafe serving breakfast, lunch, smoothies, lattes, and pastries. Gift shop and gallery with awesome home decor and gift items.
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Do yourself a favor - don't go to this restaurant. We should have taken the hint when we walked in and were told that we couldn't eat on the balcony because too many people "left without paying." But we went in anyway - it looks nice, and, with their "Organic Valley" signs hanging everywhere, they certainly sell the organic thing. Our party consisted of 4 kids and three adults. There was one other party in the restaurant when we arrived, but the seven in our party seemed to really throw them - it took 5-7 minutes for them to move three tables together.

The waitress took our order for lunch, which consisted of a few sandwiches, a bowl of mac and cheese, mozzarella sticks and a couple of kid's flatbread pizzas. We're from a nearby town and know a lot of local farmers, and, due to the emphasis on local food, we tried to talk with her about where the ham and chicken was from, but she either didn't know or didn't care - in either case, she was not interested in conversing.

To begin, it took a full forty minutes to get the food - I've seen a lot of other reviews on this site talking about "family-friendly" - it's not. There were no crayons or placemats or even pages ripped from a coloring book to keep the kids occupied. We ended up going out to the car and getting some books - so, bring some in.

The waitress never checked in, but I finally flagged her down and asked if the food would be coming soon. Her response was, "He's trying, and you had a really big order!" I found that perplexing because, other than the folks getting ice-cream outside, we were basically the only people in the place and nothing in our order was particularly complex.

When the food finally did arrive, it was over a period of about 10 minutes, with the waitress bringing out a couple of meals at a time. There were three mistakes, (she gave us chips instead of coleslaw, used white bread instead of wheat and gave someone the wrong drink order. We typically don't bother about those sorts of things, but when the person who got the wrong drink asked for the right drink, she argued! We then brought up the other two mistakes, and she actually argued with those as well, saying she had the order right and that we were changing our minds. She actually told the adult who wanted coleslaw, "I could give you coleslaw, but I'll need to charge you."

We asked to talk to the manager, who came out after about five minutes and whose first statement was, "The waitress has told me that you are changing your minds and blaming her..." It was truly unbelievable. As we were talking to the manager, my daughter picked up one of her mozzarella sticks (6 small sticks for about $9.00), and it had no cheese. She showed it to me, and I then showed it to the manager. She said, "That had cheese in it, she (referring to my daughter) must have taken it out..."

If all of that had happened, and the food was still good, I wouldn't be writing this. Unfortunately, the food was overpriced and under quality. I had the chicken salad, almost all small bits of dark meat on tiny pieces of bread with about 10 blue corn chips on the side for $8. The mac and cheese was way over-cooked. The "flatbread" in the pizza was doughy and flavorless and the pizza itself had no tomato sauce on it. My son, who absolutely loves pizza, and has never turned one down in his life, took one bite and said, "I can't eat this."

Overall - this was a terrible experience. I live in that part of Vermont and I can assure you that there are plenty of other places to get good, locally grown food. It's unfortunate that this place touts itself as representative of the local cuisine because the local cuisine is FAR better than this.

1  Thank Jack R

Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stopped in the morning while our daughter was at day camp (Circus Smirkus). They have good coffee (lattes, etc) and an outdoor deck. We came back for lunch and I had THE BEST grilled cheese w/apple. Oh- and we came back for ice cream w/our daughter. All good!

8  Thank vtles
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Delicious burgers and sandwiches, friendly staff and fantastic apple crisp. An unexpected, and welcome stop in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. If you are in the area, stop at the Lyndon Freighthouse!

8  Thank Familywingerup
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I call this a double visit because I arrived the night before, got ice cream, and came back the next day for breakfast.
When we arrived, we drove down the street looking for a place to eat and saw all of the cars. (it was like 7:45pm). It turned out that they were closed for dinner, but everyone was getting ice cream.
We ended up eating at the Miss Lyndonville diner, down the road. But we went back for ice cream. We got there and they had just closed! But they opened back up to let us get our ice cream. They were really nice.
The next morning we went back for breakfast. Everything was great. Good food and good service. I will go back.

8  Thank GreatExpectations01
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Me and my wife were looking for a place to eat. We were cold, wet and hungry. We got to the Freighthouse in the late afternoon. The restaurant is in an fairly old rustic building.

They told us that they did not serve dinner, and that they had very little food left.
That should have been our clue not to eat there. They told us that they did have some soup and chili left. My wife ordered a bowl of soup, and I ordered a bowl of chili.

My wife went to use the bathroom. I was waiting by the sign that said "Please wait to be seated". So I waited, and waited, and waited. Nobody seated me. There was one table full of people. There were other tables piled with food, that had not been cleaned.

I found a table that was not piled with garbage. The glass on the table was crusty with dirt. The windows were coated with soot. The windows and the tables looked like they had not been cleaned since the building was built over 100 years ago.

Both dishes were awful. They were cold. My chili was totally bland. My wife's soup was watered down, and over salted. She has high blood pressure, and could not eat the soup. Did I mention that both dishes were cold? Cold soup, and cold chili on a cold rainy day. Just what we wanted.

When we got the bill it was almost $16 for a bowl of cold chili and a bowl of cold soup. The waitress incorrectly added the $1.19 tax. She never apologized. She just stated that some of the old calculators added the numbers wrong. Gee, I guess the calculators from the 1800s do not work as well as the ones that people use today. She then went on to state that the register would add the bill correctly when we went to pay.

We did not leave any tip. The owner kept giving really nasty looks at my wife. Never before have we paid so much for bad food.

2  Thank inconspicuous