Review Highlights
Nice trail but rocky

As expected, no wifi but we found out twice that cell phone service was available. I'm an... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
ArloBeagleMom
Windsor, Vermont
Not an easy hike, but worthwhile.

TheHikerDog's review here a few pages back is the most accurate. I'm a 63-year-old, fairly... read more

Reviewed September 7, 2018
mcmacguy
Oceanport, NJ

All reviews water breaks ascutney mt beauty dogs
Selected filters
Reviewed August 8, 2017 via mobile

Great hike. Easy to follow (marked very clear), it took less time than advertised (3 hrs. 15 minutes total). Incredible views from top of the firetower at top. Enjoy!

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank mjl215300
Reviewed July 31, 2017

I almost did not do this climb because the information was conflicting about difficulty, length of time to hike, etc...so here's my update: I am a 49 year old woman in average shape- I hit the gym a few times a week, I don't run marathons, and I carry a few extra pounds...It took me 1:40 to summit. I stopped about 3 times for a few minutes to drink and breathe.... I stopped at the top to enjoy the view, take some pictures and eat a snack then headed down 3:30 back in my car.
THE HIKE: Not hard, but you'll need some endurance. There are lots of rocks and roots, sometimes it goes up at a "breathing like a stalker" pace, and other times it evened out for a great break. I think the first mile was the most difficult. I wore trail sneakers and was fine, although hiking boots would be better for the ankles- especially on the way down. The trail is probably the BEST I have ever been on for markings- it would be hard to get lost on this trail. The trail was well maintained, and would sometimes be wide enough for two across but mostly it would be single file. There are enough streams to keep your dog from being thirsty- but you'll need a few bottles of water.
FACILITIES: There are none. Not up, not down. No water, no outhouse, and no stores nearby...bring your own water.
FINDING IT: I just followed googlemaps- it brought me right there.
THE VIEW: It was nice. Not amazing, but rewarding. Climb the fire tower..the best view is from the top.

Date of experience: July 2017
9  Thank c S
Reviewed October 10, 2016 via mobile

Initially had some trouble finding the Trailhead - it starts in Healdville on Station Road not by the ski area as was listed on Trip Advisor when we went.

Loved the climb -- four hours as advertised and only a bit of a challenge for non-hikers. Cold and cloudy and the top, but the colds parted for some beautiful views. Gorgeous leaves and birch trees!!

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed September 14, 2016 via mobile

Great moderate hike with spectacular views. I took just under 2 hours up and 1.5 down and saw a mother and two bear cubs near the summit attempting to cross the trail in front of the stone chimney, until I screamed and they retreated! Highly recommend. The trailhead is easy to find and has good parking.

Date of experience: September 2016
1  Thank DaphneInnes
Reviewed September 13, 2016

We are healthy 69 year olds and this certainly a challenge. Two hours and 15 minutes in each direction. You really have to watch your footing on the way done as there are many tree roots and rocks. We only went up to the first level of the fire tower as we don't like heights. You can go to the ski chairlift a short distance away and see the view from there. Mostly woodland during the climb.

Date of experience: September 2016