“An Empty Promise”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 28, 2009

While our server was quite polite, and the wine room tasteful, the Coleman Brook Tavern is nothing more than a ruse. Its appetizing appearance is belied by the less than savory impact on the pallet. My clam appetizer, for instance, was baffling. In all my days I have never come across a dish where the main ingredient could be both undercooked, and overcooked, simultaneously. Rubbery and runty, and five of the thirteen were still closed. If not for the bread available for dipping in the sauce, I would have walked out right then. Next. My seared Ahi Tuna, rare, was void of its true color and of its true flavor. I guess it serves me right for ordering tuna in a land locked state. The wasabi rice and coleslaw served with it were both practically uncooked and bland. The atmosphere of this room was nice originally; quiet and cozy with plenty of visual stimuli. That all changed however, when a family brought in their infant son, banging away on his touch book Thomas the tank engine audio toy. Every ten seconds I heard a train whistle or other annoying sounds. Just when I thought things could get no worse, it's time for dessert. A double espresso, what could possibly go wrong? Again, I was beaten in the face with their lies as a luke warm cup of liquid tires was set beneath my quivering grimace. Do NOT go to the Coleman Brook Tavern, their are plenty of other fine restaurants in Vermont.

okemomountain, Owner at Coleman Brook Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2010

I am very sorry to hear that our restaurant was not to your liking. However, I do appreciate that you’ve taken the time to share your feedback with us. We take guest comments very seriously at Okemo and this is no exception.

I am glad to hear your server was polite and you enjoyed our atmosphere. I apologize if other guests were interfering with your experience.

Again, thank you for your comments. I will be sharing these with the chef and service staff so that improvements can be made.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 30, 2008

To many white platers/flat landers for my taste.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Excellent for lunch. Great sandwiches and reasonable service. However, Coleman Brook is "hit and miss" for dinner. Set your expectations correctly by planning to experience a "miss". We've never eaten there during a busy weekend without it taking 2-3 hours, and have tried it at least half a dozen times. Count on your meal being served cold, and the waitstaff to be missing for long periods of time trying to handle other tables. Tuna is good (it will be served cold), the steaks are both mediocre as is the pork. The duck should be avoided unless you are already full. Appetizer's tend to be the best bet.

1  Thank travelizer
Reviewed March 12, 2007

This restaurant is located near the main lobby of the Jackson Gore Inn, and it is excellent. Great service, great food, great attitude. I like the salmon teriyaki stiry fry, and the burgers are great. I also really like the grilled chicken sandwich with grilled peppers. The decor is top notch and the room gets a lot of natural light. The wait staff is very enthusiastic. The prices are slightly higher than in-town, but worth it for the convenience. The restaurant is super-clean, which is more than you can say for most of the restaurants in Ludlow.