“Recommended for families, experienced skiers”
Review of Jackson Gore Inn

Jackson Gore Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ludlow
Reviewed February 1, 2011

My wife and I brought our 13 month old boy to Jackson Gore for six nights. It was our first time at Okemo and we were very impressed with the hotel and the mountain. If the room was $100 cheaper per night I would give it five stars all the way. But for the price I felt that the hotel could improve a few things.

Positive things that really stood out:

-Heated parking. What a great idea. Especially when we were leaving and it was 9F outside. We had a very happy baby.
-Slope-side convenience. You couldn't ask for better access to a chair lift, rentals, lessons, etc.
-Excellent daycare. It was our first time using daycare and we were very nervous (to say the least), but the staff and facilities were excellent.

Negative things that might make us think twice about going back:
-Cost. Maybe I'm just too cheap, but for these prices I could ski Canazei (Italian Dolomites) and have money left over for airfare.
-Humidity (or lack thereof). The room was very cold, which forced us to crank up the forced-air heat. Incredibly uncomfortable. Next time we will bring a humidifier. Strangely, a room on the opposite side of the building was too warm, forcing the guests (my Brother and his family) to turn on the AC.
-Crowd control: On Friday and Saturday night groups of children were running up and down the halls playing hide and seek and other games until midnight, with their parents occasionally emerging from their rooms to yell at them. I guess I should just expect this with any family friendly hotel (we are new to this), but when your baby is trying to go to sleep at 8pm it can be very frustrating.
-Difficult slopes: Not necessarily the fault of Jackson Gore Inn, but the slopes served by the Jackson Gore lifts were reasonably difficult. It would have been nice if they could have carved out at least one green (easy) slope from the top to the bottom. I don't mind the difficulty, but it forced a lot of very inexperienced skiers and snowboarders on to intermediate slopes that were clearly over there heads.

The bottom line is that we really had a great time and the Jackson Gore Inn made our first ski trip with our baby seem easy. We may be back, or we may go to Italy. :)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Jackson Gore Inn

Reviewed January 12, 2011

It has been two years since we visited Okemo and stayed at this slopeside resort. Since my injuries received there still plague me as do the unpleasant memories, I felt compelled to write this review. For starters, our room had no closet or floor space; all in all a very dangerous environment once our ski equipment and clothes were everywhere. Considering we paid over $500 per night for this cramped room we were pretty shocked.

It was our first weekend skiing, and we were eager to try out my daughter's brand new cool Rossignols only to find they had been stolen out of baggage check within the hotel. There was no sign of them in the ski hold and nothing was going to be done for us. We were referred to the rental shop and received very old equipment. My daughter didn't even make it down the hill -- the bindings broke. More time was wasted getting another set of rentals. To their horror, both my children were taken out by crazed and inexperienced snowboarders at the bottom of the hill near the Inn.

The last night, I took a Yoga class which is part of my regular exercise routine at home. My rehabilitated neck injury was permanently reversed after the instructor told me to hold a shoulder stand for 20 minutes. She said, "This is the best thing you can do for yourself." Wrong! I couldn't move my neck at all the next morning and still have not been able to rehabilitate the injury. I had to give up tennis, a sport I loved. After swimming in the pool, my son got a 103 degree fever and collapsed in the room amongst all the clobber.

The hotel was uncomfortable and had no ambiance. It was crowded, noisy and the hallways smelled terrible. I have nothing good to say about Okemo as a resort or the hotel except they did refer a good babysitter. No one really tried to rectify the stolen skis. After many letters with the receipt for the new - never skied on skis and bindings- attached and follow-up phone calls, Jackson Gore reluctantly reimbursed us for the skis.

This is a favorite of many of our friends and I really am not sure why. All I can say is -- Never again!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
okemomountain, Owner at Jackson Gore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2011

I am very sorry to read of your experiences at Okemo. I do wish that you had contacted us sooner as two years makes it really tough to follow up with employees and/or departments involved in your experience, especially your comments regarding the yoga class.

Your accommodations were slopeside in a unit with a closet and approximately 400 sq feet of space. I regret that you were not comfortable, but also note that we recommend ski equipment not be stored in rooms for these specific reasons. Our records also show that you were reimbursed for your lost skis at check-out. I sincerely apologize for this and can assure you that this does not happen often. However, we were quick to assume responsibility and pay you for your inconvenience.

Okemo is a family-mountain. We are committed to guest service and take pride in our products, both on the snow and off. Holiday weeks can get very busy, no doubt, but during those times we are committed to working even harder to provide the very best experience we can.

Please accept our regrets for a trip that obviously did not go well and thank you for taking the time to write. Your comments will be shared with managers resort-wide.

Reviewed January 7, 2011

We spent 4 nights at the Jackson Gore Inn and loved it. We booked the Executive Inn room, but upon arriving we decided we wanted the full kitchen so we upgraded to the Studio for no additional cost. The room was great, with lots of space, and a comfy bed. With the lifts just yards away so you cant beat it. We went midweek and got there midweek madness package which was a great deal. It came with 75$ of resort credit and coupons that could be used all over the mountain. All you need is right there in building, a ski shop, and ski check, ticket booth, a lobby bar, the Colman Tavern and the roundhouse cafe, plus a pool and hot tubs. Also there is the Timber Ripper there new mountain coaster which was a little pricey but very fun. Our only complaint was that the heat in the room is very dry, we both had problems with the dryness, so bring the humidifier

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2011

The location is great and the proximity to the slope can't be beat, but the rooms have paper thin walls. Not only did I have to hear the couple next door have intercourse, but once they were done, they actually complained about the volume of my TV. Yep. Limited dining options during the week, but it's easy enough to get to town for more variety.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank sd0723
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We stayed at an "Inn room" in Bixby House at Jackson Gore. The room was plenty big (for 2 adults / 2 kids), and would have been great if only it had a fridge. The staff is the best part of the Okemo experience - they are competent and professional. It is also convenient b/c it's on the mountain, but it is a hike from the main facilities / amenities at Jackson Gore, and is not a great experience when it is bitter cold and the wind is blowing. Adams House is closer, but staying at the lodge itself is the most convenient. The con were that we could take a pretty warm shower, but not a hot one. We were told by a condo owner that even they have to pay extra to get water for a "hot" shower - if true, then management has taken penny pinching to a new level. The walls are also thin (true throughout JG), and we could hear verbatim the conversation in the next room. Because Okemo is such a “family-oriented” place, it was not a problem – everyone went to bed at the same time. This may all sound quite negative, but it really should not be viewed that way – we would come here again (indeed, we are repeat customers). The plusses outweigh the minuses, and being on the mountain counts for a lot.

The mountain itself is fine, but suffers from having only three main quads that get you up high, including the quad in Jackson Gore area (actually, you have to take the bunny slope lift to the main lift). During peak times, be prepared to wait in long lift lines at the base, though it gets better up high, particularly the two quads on the furthest southest face. On Dec. 29th ('10), the resort had clearly oversold. We waited over 30 min in one disorganized lift line, 25 minutes in another and more than 20 minutes in a third line. But that's life at ski resorts in the NE during peak times. What is not as acceptable are the crowds on the slopes themselves - I was glad no one in my family got taken out by a hotdogging skier or boarder - there were just too many people trying to fit on the ski runs. The resort does the best they can, and there a plenty of ski patrol around (professionals and volunteers). The resort also does a good job with snow making, a must in the unpredictable northeast. Hey, it's only a 3 - 4 hour drive from southwestern CT and the NY area.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2010

This place, staff, amenities, location, and ambiance are fantastic. We stayed for a week in the off season and the place was essentially empty of guests...but the staff was superb, the pools and gym were open, the lobby restaurant was open [and excellent], and the location is amazing. We had snow one day, high wind another, and a 50 degree day here and there too. We had no idea what room we were going to get and they put us in one of their few balcony suites on a high floor overlooking the mountains and their heated outdoor pool! The suite also had a gas fireplace. It was really really nice. The cleaning staff did an excellent job every day [i think sometimes twice a day] and we had a full kitchen and 2 full baths to use in the suite. We were exceptionally happy here and our kids got plenty of exercise in the pools, hiking up the mountain, and on their modern, very nice playground set! The location is great for shopping, site seeing, fishing...we were just very very happy with this trip. Thanks Jackson Gore!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank blackrivertrout
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I have to say that I absolutely loved Jackson Gore Inn. I went with my brother and 2 of my girls- aged 16 and 14. We stayed in the Adams house (There are three complexes, and this one was in between the two). Our whole vacation was from Saturday January 30 2010 to Thursday the 4th of Feb. We stayed in Okemo at Jackson Gore from Monday to Thursday. We did something that we recommend to everyone- We live in Virginia, so it takes a full day to drive up there (11 hours...yikes). We drove up Saturday and got to our Hampton Inn in Rutland. On Sunday, we went to Pico Mountain Ski Resort, which is 10-15 mins away from the Hampton. Killington is also right nearby, but we really like Pico. It is cheaper on Sundays, and cheap in general. Great, extremely UNcrowded skiing. I've taken my other 2 younger kids there in previous it's great for them. We only went to Pico for one day this time, because we were planning on Okemo. Anyway, we stayed in Rutland again Sunday night, and headed to Ludlow (Okemo) the next morning. It was about a 1 to 1/2 hr drive. We decided on Jackson Gore because it seemed not so busy and way more relaxed, just from viewing the map of its location on the mountain. The whole Jackson Gore area was awesome. As you can see from the trail map, its kind of like a whole separate mountain. You take the jackson gore lift to the top and then take a ski bridge to get to the main mountain. The girls loved doing that and even just hanging out on the jackson gore mountain. There are several bunny slopes, green, blue, and black slopes on jackson gore mountain. Excellent place to stay for skiing on this mountain. As for things other than skiing, it was great. We had the Inn room for 4 people and it included a kitchen- which was great to have. I wanted the kitchen but didn't realize how helpful it would be. We went to the grocery store a couple times- it was 5 mins away. We got tons of food for every meal of the day. The town is small, so not many local restaurants. The resort has some, but they are very expensive. Some people said that the rooms were small, but perfectly fine for us. There was a queen murphy bed and a queen pull out couch. Sleeping was great- no troubles at all. The hot tubs were a huge bonus. We spent about a half hour every single night in the hot tubs. There was nobody out there at all around 9-10 pm, which was the perfect time for us.The snow grooming machines went by sometimes and that was always so cool to watch. I'm assuming nobody was out there late like that b/c most people go in the hot tubs when the slopes close around 4 because it's relaxing immediately after skiing. We often walked around at night because it was so quiet and peaceful. There is a giant bonfire lit every night, (barely anyone there!) and we bought smores stuff at the grocery store for that...The pool was nice too, although we definitely spent most of out water time in the hot tubs. The heated parking garage was another great bonus. i knew about it, but didn't realize how useful it would be (we hardly used the car- only once for grocery shopping, but it was so nice to have for packing/unpacking the car). The sidewalks were heated too, which is really nice, because you can easily walk around the place. Lobby was huge and very nice as well. in case I wasn't clear, the rooms are ski in/ski out completely to the hotel door. There are free lockers right outside too, which was awesome (except don't leave your boots out there- too cold in the morning!!!) Bring a couple locks for these. Anyway, great vacation- highly recommended for families, couples, teenagers, younger children, everyone!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Ellen P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Mountain Lodge at Okemo
Ludlow Colonial Motel
506 On The River Inn
506 On The River Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Castle Hill Resort And Spa

Been to Jackson Gore Inn? Share your experiences!