“Stay away!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ludlow
New York City, New York
“Stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

I do not normally write reviews but had to share the horrible and traumatic experience I had at the Jackson Gore Inn. We have been skiing at Okemo for years and have never stayed at the Jackson Gore inn, but decided to try it because of the convenient location and thought it would be relatively quiet after the holidays. We arrived on my son's birthday to share his favorite thing to do on his birthday and the staff ruined his day. We arrived early and was told that our room would not be ready until 5 pm, and we were happy to go ski and hang out with our three young kids until 5.

After waiting on line for 30 minutes, it was after 5 and the rude front desk staff told us, very unapologetically that our room was not ready yet and that we had to wait until 5:30. My husband left me with our 2 year old to go and unload our bags at the Adams house, thinking he was being time efficient so we could get dinner ready for our birthday boy when the room was ready. At 5:30, Dianne at the front desk told me that she never said 5:30 and that it may be 6 or even later. Meanwhile, many others were being told the same thing and there were many irate guests who were yelling at them. I told her that my phone battery ran out and that my daughter soiled her diaper and she would not even let me use the phone to call my husband and I was trapped there with my daughter and no diaper change. My husband spoke to the housekeeping staff and after I borrowed another guest's phone and managed to contact him, he told me that if I could get our room number the housekeepers would do our room next so we can get in ASAP. Dianne would not tell me the room number and did not even communicate with the housekeeping staff. Had she talked to them she would have known there were 7 more rooms to clean, and each room would take 30 minutes to clean meaning that we would not get into our room until after 7! Had she just communicated and told me that we should go eat dinner elsewhere, it would not have been ideal but we would have been able to salvage our son's birthday. Since I was trapped at the front desk with my daughter and no diaper change I was able to observe many guests upset and yelling at the staff. Children were running around the lobby, and people were eating off the floors, and the place was filthy, and the staff were rude and unhelpful.

We finally had to leave and find another place late in the evening with our three young children in tow. When I called the general manager the next day Charlie Dickerman, he was completely unhelpful and unsympathetic and completely unapologetic. No wonder the hotel is so poorly managed. It starts at the top. It would have cost them nothing to prioritize the room cleaning for the guests who had been waiting all day and it is unacceptable to not have rooms ready after 6 pm on check in day! The staff needs to be re-trained to properly run a hotel and needs training in customer service! This is completely unacceptable. We have stayed at many ski resorts and I have never seen such a poorly run, family-unfriendly, dirty place with the rudest staff and management. Stay away!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
14 Thank Familyof52014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
New York Mills, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had the worst experience at the Jackson Gore Inn by the horrible staff. Our room was not ready by check in time (5 pm). We were traveling with three young children and instead on being apologetic and trying to accommodate us, they were rude and surly. Many of the guests who had arrived by the check in time were being told that their rooms were not ready and there was a line out the door. There were kids running around like crazy and people eating off the floors. It was a total nightmare and looked like a squatter hotel. The place was a mess. This place is so horribly managed. When we complained to the manager Charlie Dickerman, instead of being sympathetic he was also as incompetent as his staff. The entire staff needs to be trained on how to handle customer service as well as to properly run a hotel. We have been to many resorts and I have never seen such incompetence. Do yourself a favor and avoid this place. It is a total nightmare. We finally had to find another place to stay, which was not easy late at night with three young tired kids. Really dirty, poorly run and horrible staff! Jaimie and Diane at the front desk are surly and should not be customer facing because they are rude and incompetent.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
14 Thank Skifamily2014
okemomountain, Manager at Jackson Gore Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
We certainly regret when circumstances prevent us from delivering our rooms on time. In this case…it was Christmas vacation week, with previous occupants very slow to vacate, so we could clean. Equally regrettable are those circumstances when tensions get so high that courtesy suffers…on both sides of the desk. We are sorry for your difficult experience and hope that the rest of your ski trip was enjoyable. Thank you for your comments.
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

We travelled with a 4 and an 8 year old. Excellent choice with a1 bedroom. There are 2 bath and two large rooms. One is a masterbedroom and the othe one with a queen size bed and bathroom. Super space with many closets. Very clean. We stayed at the 4 th floor with a view toward the mountain. Super nice.
The Inn is nicely position in an U Shape at the bottom of the slope. there is actually only one lift that takes you half way and than you have to take another lift to get it the top. They are high speed so it take about 10 min. The bunny slope is long enough and there is another carpet slightly higher. enough for someone like my son who is learning first moves.
Staff I'd very friendly. Everybody seemed to care to make you feel good.
There are 2 restaurants inside the Inn.
There are 2 pools and a gym.
A roller coaster.
Small arcade room.
Basically enough to make you stay there and not have to leave the Inn for anything.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Me74126500
PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Adams house on the 2nd floor. Family above liked to run around all night and stomp around the room. Walls are paper thin, had to call security twice to get them to take it easy. On the good side, hot tub is right out the door and used that every day after skiing. If you don't have kids in your group, you might want to stay somewhere else on the mountain or request a top floor unit.
Housekeeping staff was excellent.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Thomas Y
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

If you are ok with having been snapped at and spoken t o in a negative tone then this hotel is ok. The rooms are clean. But if you need help with your luggage you are out of luck. Steps to get into the building (Adams Building), and the bell boy was very nasty and unwilling to help. Our room was not ready till 5. They were not willing to watch our luggage. We had to take our things out of the car, put on our ski gear and then put our luggage back I the car ourselves.
Once our room was ready, we wanted to use the hot tub. Well, good luck with that. There are no signs and whatever hotel employees we bumped into had no clue where it is.
Was hoping to get late checkout being our room was only ready very late. I called the front desk at 8am, and before I could finish my sentence, the girl at the front desk says no late checkout!
No minibar, no safe in the room. Every answer from the front desk is a no. The only plus is that the room is on the large size and fairly new. I guess Okemo is desperate and there are no other hotels to stay at. Nothing here but a decent room and nasty staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Shelly5858
I wish I had learned of this while you were on property, I’m very sorry for the poor response you apparently received from our staff. When we are alerted that people are going to arrive to ski earlier than their accommodations will be ready, we advise them to pack a small bag with those items they will need. We do this so that all their luggage need not be dragged out in order to reach those items necessary for the afternoon. We hope to come up with a better solution for individuals, like you, who arrive to ski before their accommodations are available and will continue to work on this. Thank you for your comments.
Foxboro
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I really wish that I could have given Jackson Gore a better rating, but in the end, location couldn't make up for everything. And the location is spectacular, the Inn itself as beautiful as the mountains surrounding it. Perhaps I expected a bit too much based on that beautiful picture (and previous reviews).
I booked at Jackson Gore as I was able to get it for a special rate, which was still at the $200 mark. It was a studio room, and while a queen bed was requested, we received a Murphy bed instead. The size of the room was great, very accommodating for the most part and clean (although we had a problem with flies and the dishwasher had never been previously emptied). A full kitchen, fully stocked with kitchenware, etc. Our room was overlooking the outdoor pool, which if it had been summer, would have been a very loud location indeed, but in our case, it wasn't a problem. The most disappointing part of the room was the shower. In this day and age, and considering the finishings in the rest of the Inn, a water conserving shower head can be better than a slow trickle. It took twice as long just to get the shampoo out of your hair, nevermind the soap off the rest of your body, which sort of negates the purpose of said shower head to begin with. The shower also had a mysterious leak, no matter how you closed the shower curtain. As to the fitness room - for a newer property, the exercise equipment was cheap, not to mention this area is located outside of and away from the main resort (the indoor pool is also housed in this building).
The outside area to the Inn is well kept up and the Adventure Zone is a fun place to hang out. We also were able to enjoy the firepit, which warmed up the chilly fall evenings. Only 1 restaurant was open, however (review on that separate), and you were on your own for breakfast.
I can say I've been to Jackson Gore, but in the future will most likely go back to the great family owned properties that are also available around the area. I've been to Vermont more times than I can count, have stayed at numerous places throughout the years, and wish this particular visit at this particular property had lived up to the hype...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Kookoosmom
Reidsville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

If you have a chance, stay at this resort. We must've been there in the off, off season because it was as if we were the only customers. The unit (suite) was ample, the staff friendly. The kitchen was a disappointment, much too small for 2 people at the same time and the dishes, glasses, cookware and utensils were very dirty. Apparently the staff didn't check them after the last visitors left. We put everything in the dishwasher and cured the problem. We were there for a whole week and because there were plenty of linens and towels, asked for no housekeeping. Typically, the staff comes every day to clean and change towels. This is truly a ski resort and we were there in September/October so, that mostly explains the lack of guests and it also explains the beauty of the area... think mountains, think fall color. Spectacular!

Room Tip: You can buy a room (suite) if you want...!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Mountain Lodge at Okemo
Ludlow Colonial Motel
Timber Inn Motel
Timber Inn Motel
#1 of 6 in Ludlow
Castle Hill Resort And Spa
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort

Been to Jackson Gore Inn? Share your experiences!