New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Jackson Gore Inn

Jackson Gore Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Ludlow B&B and Inns
New York
“Turning lemons into lemonade”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Snowfall in the northeast was at record lows this year with temps averaging 20 degrees above normal. If you're an avid skier this was not a good season. If you own a ski resort, this season was a nightmare. This did not stop the Jackson Gore Inn from delivering top notch service both at the Inn and on the slopes during a week that saw temps in the 60'sF. Rooms were spotless. Staff was courteous and plentiful. All services were open an available despite low occupancy during our stay. The food was fantastic. This place caters to families with kids who will love the indoor and outdoor pools, slides, hot tubs, video arcade, s'mores, etc. Trails were groomed every night. This was our first stay at the Inn and our first trip to Okemo and our expectations were exceeded on every level.

Room Tip: Ask for a slope side view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I agree with the reviewers who said the sofa bed is "brutal" and unacceptable. It is the cheapest sofa bed I have ever encountered and my son sinks down in the center due to the concave shape. After I complained, the front desk offered a board to put under the mattress, but it is too small and only fits under 1/2 the mattress. We paid $800 per night for our family of four to stay here and I am disgusted that my son is expected to sleep on such a joke of a bed. Please.

Room Tip: dont plan on using a sofa bed as a place for someone to sleep.
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Not Home
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I should preface this review by saying we are an early 30's married couple without children.

This resort is perfect for families. There are unsupervised children running around everywhere. It is also acceptable for young children to be sitting on bar stools at the bar next to their parents who are drinking.

The walls are paper thin. You can hear everyone inside the room next to you, in the hall, down the hall - everywhere. You can hear everyone running up and down the halls in their snow boots. You can hear each and every time a door slams on a nearby room. The fireplace in the room is a nice touch, but it is hard to enjoy with all the outside influence.

The hotel itself is at the base of the mountain which is nice. There is also plenty to do if you do not ski. However, for the price I expected a much better quality room.

Again, if you are a family I could see how this place could work.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank ESMB
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed for two nights in a studio with kitchen with our boys. The room had one queen bed and one queen sofa bed. The main bed was fine, but the sofa bed was brutal. I sat on it once, and I could feel all kinds of bars and springs. Since my kids are small, they slept on it fine, but for big kids or adults, get a room with two beds.

The kitchen was useful. We found the food in the roundhouse (typical ski lodge food) to be super expensive and pretty bad. There is a supermarket less than 10 min away, so we stocked up on food and cooked a few meals in our kitchen. Dinner at DJ's Restaurant in town was great. Compared to the food on the resort property, it was a pretty good deal since it included a self serve salad bar.

We put both kids in the in-house daycare for two days, and they seemed to do a good job. We peeked in a couple of times, and our kids seemed happy there. My older boy was signed up for the mini-stars lesson. They coordinate with the day care and he was dressed up in his ski clothes and brought out to the lesson. It is convenient, but after watching his mini-star lessons, I would definitely recommend private lessons instead. Each instructor is grouped with four 3-4 year old kids.... way too many. At that age, they are just too unpredictable. In my son's group, one kid was crying the whole time, and the other two couldn't stand up in skis. At one point, my son was standing at the top of the little hill for 30 minutes doing nothing while the instructor was picking kids up off the ground or trying to get the other kid to stop crying. It was almost comical watching her walking around in her skis picking one kid up as another falls down. Really, if you are serious about teaching your child how to ski, spend your money on a private lesson.

The trails on this mountain are not easy for true beginners. My wife is a beginner skier and this was her second time on skis... she was doing fine on the bunny hill during her lessons. She wanted to try the green trails, but found them to be a bit too steep for her. I thought parts of the green trails to be comparable to blues in PA/NJ. Even her ski instructor told her that the greens were a big jump from the bunny hills and there was no in-between.

There is an indoor kiddie pool in the sping house, perfect for the little ones. It is about 18" deep with a small water slide. It's not great wolf lodge.... but my kids spent hours splashing around before bed.

The timber ripper mountain coaster is expensive. Its like paying $22 (for two people) to go on a low thrill rollercoaster once. My son liked it, but I wasn't about to pay another $22 to go on it again.

Overall, we had a good time at Jackson Gore Inn. The location is great, and I enjoyed the slopes. I might go back when my wife is a better skier.

Stamford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Can't beat the convenience albeit at a price. Very easy drive from southern CT and most accessible of VT mountains. They could do with a bigger sign though from the road - extremely easy to drive past the turn off in the dark.

• Stayed February 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Our family really enjoyed our stay at The Jackson Gore Inn. We had a studio room in the main building. I only have a few complaints on the room. First, there is not enough storage space for clothes. There is only a small 3 drawer dresser and a closet to use for clothes. The closet also has the iron board and recycling bin which takes up a lot of space. Our family of four had to keep some of our stuff in our suitcases. If you were only staying a day or two it may be fine, but any longer stay makes it tough. Our main complaint on the room was our location above the outdoor pool. The pool hours were supposed to end at 9:00 P.M. on the nights we were staying. One night we had a loud drunk group outside until 10:30 which made it difficult for my family to fall asleep. On another night we had another group there until 9:30, since we were up still it did not affect us. I would recommend asking for another location if you are someone who goes to sleep early. The room was very clean and housekeeping did a great job. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

We used the indoor and outdoor pools, which the kids love. There are plenty of non-skiing activities for the family to enjoy. My son loved to play hockey on outdoor ice rink. The mountain coaster was fun. The food was very good at the Round house and the Coleman Tavern.

We had a great time and I will plan to go back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

If you can't stand kids it's not the place for you, but what a great place for families! All kinds of activities for all ages including adults.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Cleomcg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Andrie Rose Inn
Andrie Rose Inn
#5 of 9 in Ludlow
4.5 of 5 stars 56 reviews

Been to Jackson Gore Inn? Share your experiences!