“Shots of Syrup at 11am!”

Green Mountain Sugar House
Ranked #4 of 14 things to do in Ludlow
fls81
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Shots of Syrup at 11am!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stopped in here several years ago on a summer trip to Vermont and tried the maple soft ice cream. My wife and daughter had wanted to keep on going and gave me a hard time for stopping but being the driver, I had the last vote. :-) So I stopped for the ice cream - they didn't want one at first, but after tasting mine, we ended up each getting out own. That was the first of many visits to the Green Mountain Sugar House! Since then this has been my "go to" place for maple syrup, and every time we are back in Vermont we make it a point to stop.

We were there yesterday (to get more syrup) and although I've purchased syrup in the past (its great on oatmeal), I'd never paid attention to the grades. The woman at the counter (very pleasant!) explained to me the differences and what the best uses of each grade was, and then we did shots of syrup. I recommend the Grade A Dark for oatmeal. :-)

Besides the syrup, they have many other specialty food items you may not find somewhere else, as well as many keepsakes and Vermont items. I've found their prices to be very reasonable.

So bottom line is, been there, done that, and will be back!

Visited January 2014
2 Thank fls81

Ludlow, Vermont
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Green Mountain Sugar House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is a GREAT local sugar house that sells all grades of excellent maple sugar and maple products...harvested, boiled, created and packaged themselves. They have a very wide selection of Vermont products/gifts as well which are very reasonably priced. To die for is their home made maple creamy!!!! The people that work there are very friendly and very helpful too.

Located right on Vermont Rte 100 along side Lake Pauline, you can enjoy your creamy in a number of Adirondack chairs by the water or just plain enjoy the beautiful view all year round.

New York City, New York
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Maple Syrup and the like”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The name says it all - this is the best place - very friendly staff. We bought a ton of maple syrup has gift giving for our friends and family. Even found freshly made pumpkin butter and strawberry rhubarb spread. The prices are much better in comparison to the village stores you will find in Weston, and you can even take a look at their machinery in the back.

1 Thank ankitas834
Chilmark, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“This mini Vermont Country Store is worth the stop.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Real local Vermont maple syrup , made on the premises. Try a Maple Creamie ice cream. These are rated the best in Vermont by Vermonters. So many great finds. Store is spotless, products are all high quality and the woman owner makes you feel like family.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Paul I
Newton, Mass
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“Soft Serve Maple Ice Cream -- betcha can't eat just one”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Plenty of places in Vermont have regular maple ice cream--but soft serve? I usually don't like soft-serve but the maple flavor complements the soft-serve texture quite well. I ended up having it 3 times in 2 days. (Don't worry--you can work off the calories by swimming in the lake right in back of the store). I'm not sure what "Peter_Gill" is referring to, but the maple syrup prices are quite competitive. I bought a gallon for literally what 3 pints would have cost at Whole Foods...and it's the dark amber, which is what aficionados prefer

1 Thank OOBonomist