“Green Mountain changed my life”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ludlow
Green Mountain at Fox Run
Reviewed September 18, 2009

I participated in the 2 week program at Green Mountain. I've been a yo yo dieter for years and finally got fed up. I've also had problems with binge eating. Green mountain really taught me how to listen to my body and to appreciate my body. It was a great and supportive atmosphere with fabulous and qualified staff. I tried many different types of exercise activiites to see what I like. The food was fabulous. I've been home for 2 weeks and have noticed a huge difference in my relationship with food and exercise. I think that this time it's for good. A couple of warnings: If you're looking for a fancy spa where you will get starved and lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks (where nothing actually changes when you get home), then don't bother coming here. The rooms are clean and comfortable but not luxurious. If you're looking to change your life and have a more healthy and realistic relationship with food and exercise, you won't be sorry. It's the best money I ever spent.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank MarieSarah2

Reviewed August 8, 2009

It's obvious from the many good reivews that many women are very pleased with their stay at Green Mountain at Fox Run, a woman-only weight-change residential program. I have very mixed feelings, but , bottom line, is that I would not go there again. It is a sound program with a well qualified staff, but it is way overpriced for what it actually offers. For the price of a month's stay ($14,000/four weeks in July), I could have stayed in a nice resort, hired a personal trainer, and had all my meals delivered by an upscale diet service, for better results. I suggest that the potential visitor get as much as information as possible before booking.

The main focus of the program is exercise and therapeutic group sessions. The teachers and therapists are well qualified and kindly, but they are overburdened. The classes are large and often crowded. Staff members can answer an occasional question, but there is no effort to create individualized plans for guests. Their advertisiing exaggerates by quite a degree what is offered: there is NO Pilates program, just a few mat exercises as part of a larger class. The weight room is dark and full of dated equipment and old CDs. It was rarely used. The swimming pool is small, cold, a steep walk up a hill, and shared by the residents of a nearby condo building. It is inaccessible much of the day.

The program itself is a mixed bag. Their philosophy is fine: Avoiding rigourous diets in favor of a daily approach to sensible eating and exercise, with health and well being, not merely "skinniness" as the goal. It is based on solid research and good therapeutic approaches. But there is no incentive to stay longer than week, because the entire program is essentially offered in that time, although a few "secondary" sessions are offered in week two. My impression was that what the women enjoyed most was just taking the time to themselves and meeting with other women in a weight-friendly environment.

You cannot really call it a spa, as it has none of the amenities one associates with such places. It is more like a grown-up of version of summer camp for kids. The building is an old ski lodge, located above a private golf course, a few miles from the tiny town of Ludlow, Vermont. The surrounding Green Mountains are beautiful indeed, but the setting is limited. It is on a steep hill with a parking lot and thick woods behind it and the golf course below it, so hiking is limited. The management touts the town as being within walking distance, but this is not the case; it is too far to walk for most of the guests, who are struggling with health issues, and it is a dangerous walk along the dirt shoulder of the main highway through the region. There is NO bus or taxi service; you really need a car to get into town. There is little to do at the resort at night--the one TV/DVD player is located in a small area that cannot accommodate many people.((The younger guests monopolized the space, staring at the TV screen for hours in absolute boredom). There is a shelf of tattered paperbacks left behind by previous guests and some beat up games. Massages are available at a steep extra price; no "aesthetic" services are offered.

The rooms are furnished with plain rustic furniture and they are comfortable enough, but certainly not luxe. (I had a private room; shared rooms are also available). The telephone answering machine lost my messages and the internet access was sporadic. The food is, naturally, restricted and it is wholesome, but not gourmet. There is no attempt to use the magnificant local produce--in the middle of strawberry and peach season, they served pithy oranges and last year's apples as the main fruit. Snacks were limited to peanut butter, crackers, and eggs. The food is rather bland, although I am sympathetic to the demands of trying to please the many guests with various eating eccentricities. There is little fresh fish or seafood and the salads are regulation prepacked lettuces. Not especially fresh. One has the idea of a cook who is trying within the constraints of a limited budget.

All in all, what was once an innovative program is now dated in its cuisine, amenities ,and surroundings. I would suggest looking into alternate programs before going here; if you do decide to go, I would suggest booking a week only to see if you would benefit or enjoy more time there.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
21  Thank ToscaTosca
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I have been back from my two weeks at Green Mountain at Fox Run for a little over a month, and I am still bubbling.  I was a bit apprehensive about signing up for this program, due to the cost and the time committment.  I've been through the ringer with different diet programs, spas, and unfulfilled promises, but the Green Mountain program was so comprehensive and well thought out, I was impressed from the first day.  Even though GM plasys down the scale and weight loss, I lost 13 pounds while i was there and have continued to lose at home, and I'm now down 20 pounds.  Although I've lost the weight, I am not ruled by the scale.  I am listening to my body, and I feel great!The exercise staff in particular was a real highlight.  They were extremely considerate of my issues (I have a bad knee) and I felt that every staff person I met was more wonderful than the next.  The food was delicious, the setting was bucolic and the rooms were very nice and comfortable.  I will definitely be back for a refresher, and I'm happy to tell the world how wonderful this program is!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 5, 2009

i have come home to busy south florida after a one week stay at green mountain at Fox Run. i am still in the mindful thinking of this excellent place. my family wants to know who this person is that came back (of course in a very positive way). i will be going back yearly for my "refresher" view on healthy living.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I stayed for two weeks at Green Mountain and can honestly say it was one of the best vacations I have ever had. I have had a negative relationship with food and my body for most of my life. During my stay I learned a new way to think about my body and developed a new relationship with food. I made some fantastic friends whom I still have contact with today. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to have a healthier relationship with food or even just needs a little me time.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2009

Green Mountain is a one of a kind! It is set overlooking gorgeous Okemo Mountain and you can't help but want to get out and enjoy. The all woman program allows you to relax and truly look at making changes in your life that will be permanent. The staff and other participants were supportive and caring. Warning: this is not the place for you if you are looking for a spa to pamper and be fancy at. This place is serious about teaching you things from exercise, to eating well and to being mindful and focused on having the best life you can. The food is amazing. It was hard for me to believe that I could lose weight when it tasted so great! Going there truly changed my life and exposed me to ideas and activities that were life changing as well. IF you are serious about changing your life, I fully recommend Green Mountain!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Andie_9
Reviewed June 11, 2008

For 30+ years I had an unhealthy, binging relationship with food and exercise. I hadn;t cooked for years, I only did cardio exercise and I grazed through all of my meals.

In May 2008, I spent 2 weeks at Green Mtn, I am now cooking healthy, delicious meals and REALLY enjoying it. I have a peace around food that I never had before.

I actually love exercise and have a program that fits into my life easily and that I look forward to doing. I feel stronger, empowered and I am doing things that I never thought possible.

The Staff was amazing, credentials a mile long, helpful, loving and supportive. The Chefs made meals like a 5 star restaurant.

My experience there was nothing short of a miracle.

Ciarra, NYC

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank GoodLifeNYC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
Jackson Gore Inn
Castle Hill Resort And Spa
The Pettigrew Inn
The Pettigrew Inn
#2 of 7 in Ludlow

Been to Green Mountain at Fox Run? Share your experiences!