“One of a kind”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ludlow
Green Mountain at Fox Run
Reviewed January 9, 2014

There is no other place like it! Fabulous staff, fantastic food and most of all a road map of how to connect with yourself and stop the cycle of dieting. You will not regret investing time in yourself when you experience this eye opening and realistic approach to the weight issue. Best if you can devote four weeks but even what you learn in one week is worth it. It is a non-judgmental sanctuary of hope filled with amazing women you will absolutely get you!

Room Tip: ask for a mountain view if possible
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Penne F

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Green Mountain at Fox Run: The Novel

OK, here's the deal. If you're anything like me, you found out about Green Mountain online by searching for something like, "weight loss retreat". You probably found a bunch of other places, too, during your search, many of which look more luxurious than Green Mountain, and right now you're on Trip Advisor trying to figure out where you should invest your limited time and budget.

When I was in your shoes a couple of years ago, I thought, maybe if I just go somewhere where they take care of me, and I sleep for a week, I'll come back to work with the energy to deal with work, family and get myself into shape. I was about to take a two week vacation, after having gone two years without any time off, was tired, about to spend a big chunk of my savings, and, well, I really wanted to feel coddled. So I was tempted by places in tropical locations, or places attached to luxury hotels.

I was torn though, because on Trip Advisor everyone was really emphatic that Green Mountain was a great experience... and it did look picturesque. I could tell that it wasn't luxurious, but (as if in a preview of the actual experience...) the advice of the sisterly women on Trip Advisor convinced me it was where I needed to go.

So I booked a week. Just a week -- mainly because I was afraid that by the end of the week I'd be starving, stir crazy, tired and lonely, and in need of another vacation. Figured I could survive anything for a week, though. And so I went shopping and bought workout gear (Lane Bryant and Nordstrom) and sports bras (Wacoal!) and got on the train.

When the train got in Sunday night, a driver was waiting for us (another woman arrived on the same train.) We stopped at Subway, because the train had arrived after dinner, and the other woman hadn't eaten anything... and meals at Green Mountain are at 8, 12 and 6, with snacks in the afternoon and evening.

Anyway, we got to GMFR, and were given a quick tour, program books with a bag and schedule, and keys to our rooms (real keys, on a springy coil that you wear around your wrist. You may want to bring your own key coil, if you're particular about color or springiness -I did on subsequent visits).

My room (a single -- was scared about going to this place, wasn't about to share a room with a stranger) was perfectly nice, with a large bed, a comfortable chair and a desk... and a great view of Okemo mountain. I got lucky on that visit; many of the rooms overlook the parking lot. Bed was comfortable and room was impeccably clean, even if the furnishings, fixtures and décor were a bit dated. Good sheets.

No TVs in the rooms – and the Wifi isn’t robust enough for streaming (though it is for surfing.) But there are TVs in the communal areas and while they didn’t have it on my first visit, now they have Netflix. And there are books in the “okemo” room downstairs, but the selection is limited. Bring a book and leave it there for someone else to enjoy. And here’s a tip that I wish I’d known on my first visit – look in the drawers of coffee and end tables – lots of times there are magazines.

Here’s the week in a nutshell:

-First day, chose my best sweats and sneakers to wear, fitness assessments at 7a, measured, weighed (agh), and flexibility and balance measured.

-Breakfast. About 20 participants, a couple of what were then called Staff Participants, and are now called Ambassadors… and the staff, all ate together. Everyone except the couple of women who were starting like me that day had plastic water bottles. Bring one from home, though if you forget anything they do a trip to a drugstore on Monday afternoons. There’s also an on-site store, now called Changes, open most evenings that also sells bottles, clothing, detergent, shampoo, tapes, postcards etc.

Breakfast that first day was scrambled eggs, I think – real ones, and there were also hard boiled, all sorts of nuts, nut butters, fruits, gluten free cereal, milk, grapefruit, toast, yogurt, cottage cheese – it was easy to make a plate that was satisfying.

The Green Mountain Ambassadors are really important – they’re around 24/7, and when you’re a new participant, they somehow know how to make you feel comfortable even on the things like getting breakfast on your first day.

-Classes – the program at GMFR is four weeks. So theoretically, if you stay for four weeks, you’ll learn everything, though people stay for fewer and more weeks according to their own needs. Classes are in behavior, nutrition and movement. All great. OK, truth be told, sometimes I was a little bored in the behavior and nutrition classes, but I was happy to be there, because I was so glad to be sitting down. And there are a lot of things I do today that I learned in those classes. I thought the arts and crafty classes were kind of silly -- but others seemed to like them.

-Meals. Like many women, I’m particular. There are a lot of things I don’t eat – but in the pre-visit paperwork, you’re able to list the foods you don’t eat, and if they’re on the menu that day, they’ll substitute something else. They can accommodate vegetarians, or those on gluten free diets, too. Breakfast, as I mentioned before, is serve yourself – they have guidelines for portion sizes and what to choose. Lunch is plated – you walk into the dining room, and on a board on the right, they describe what’s being served, and note any participants who are getting “specials”. I was so happy the day they served a carrot side dish and saw my name on a plate with cucumber salad instead of the carrots I disdain. Dinner is served – you sit down at a table, and someone brings you your meal.

All the food is good. Really – delicious and substantial. The kitchen and nutrition staff does an excellent job. Desserts are served. And on Friday nights – real ice cream. That first week I stayed was over Thanksgiving – and they did the holiday meal justice – even had wine. And they decorated the dining room so it felt special.

-Fitness classes. Every class starts with a sequence of stretches which will become familiar quickly. Then Lynn Ann will kick your butt. I’m kidding, of course – her mantra is, “Your pace is The pace” and “Something is better than nothing.” If Lynn Ann teaches a class, no matter what it is, take it. She’s particularly good at modifying exercises so people of all levels and with all injuries can participate.

On my first visit, Cathy also taught a number of classes, and she too, is excellent – her aerobics and gentle yoga classes are not to be missed.

And while she wasn’t there that first week that I’m describing, Masha is also an excellent instructor – good natured, funny and knowledgeable. She taught me to Hula Hoop this summer!

There’s also an exercise room with equipment (treadmills, bike, elliptical, weights etc) downstairs that many people use – though I always found it esthetically unpleasing, preferring the classes in the bright upper workout room.

And while it’s a hassle to put on your swimsuit, get in a van and drive to the pool (not far), it’s heated and comfortable and the aqua classes are really fun.

-Outside: My favorite activity is walking on the track – something about the pace, and the curve and just the beautiful look of it makes me very happy. Don’t forget to bring the charger and headphones to whatever device you listen to music or books on. Vermonting, which is what they call scenic walks or hikes, is also very pleasant, though that first week, I realized that I really should have packed warmer gloves and a better hat, and it would have been better to have hiking shoes than the plain sneakers I was wearing. And good socks.

The other thing that happened that first week was that it snowed – and we went snowshoeing on the golf course next door. Absolutely exhausting, and absolutely fun.

-The Other Participants: To me, this is the most important part of the program, and I didn’t really realize it until my second stay at GMFR.

During my first one week stay, I hung with the same couple of women who were in the first week, and met most of the others at meals, and at night playing games like Apples to Apples in the Okemo room. Everyone was very nice, but with only a week to get to know them, and not that much energy left over after exercise and meditation, and cooking classes and films and ceramics (still have the bowl!)– it wasn’t a big part of my experience.

During my second visit though, two years later, I chose to stay for three whole weeks, and got to know a lot of amazing women. That stay, during the summer, I’m pretty sure I made lifelong friends, and even the folks I won’t know for the rest of my life, were supportive and a big part of why I think I’m on the right track now. One night, during my second week, two women decided that we as a group, needed to bond, and put together a pajama party, with games, in the Okemo room. And another woman, a librarian, told me about books that my niece would (and did) love. And we told each other stories… and really, truly wished for the best for each other, and still do.

My favorite moment was when I set a goal of running once around the track – and one of the other women came out unbidden and cheered me on in my attempt. And Green Mountain fosters that type of feeling. We look at each other with kindness there – and it is THAT that makes this place more luxurious than the freaking Ritz Carlton.

Oooh… plus, after just one week there, you get a sort of Green Mountain high. I’m not kidding – it lasts at least a couple of days, and you just feel really good mentally and physically. Makes you want to exercise. So it turns out that exercising and working hard was even more restful than lounging around at a resort would have been -- I left energized.

One more thing – I’ve never stayed in a double or a triple, but I’ve seen it go both ways – either all the participants get along and feel comfortable together, or someone snores and someone else is a step away from homicide. The staff does their best to match people up, and from what I’ve seen, bad matches are the exception not the rule. And they ask if you snore that you not choose a double or triple. Doubles and triples seem to be upstairs -- so keep that in mind if you have knee issues... though you will be climbing lots of stairs no matter what.

Anyway, here’s the rest of my story – after that first Thanksgiving visit that taught me that I liked Green Mountain at Fox Run, and the second summer visit that taught me why summer in Vermont is awesome, and gave me new friends and the ability to Hula Hoop, I am losing weight slowly but surely.

Some of it was the behaviors learned at Green Mountain, and some of it is, I suspect, wearing a fitbit that reminds me to move and walk whenever I can… and I think a good chunk of it is my frequent texting with my supportive Green Mountain girlfriends. I went back this Thanksgiving for a one week stay, and again had a wonderful visit. So, I’m 35 pounds lighter than I was at the start of the story, can HULA HOOP (the key, as it turns out, is having a big enough hula hoop and the right motion), have new friends and am willing to sit here for hours writing this all down so you who I don't know, can have the info you need to be comfortable enough to go and maybe have a similar experience.

Really – trust me, I’m not Pollyanna – it’s not fantasyland, the wifi is just so-so, the place requires a lot of effort on your part, your experience will be different than mine I know, and it’s an investment of time and money… but it’s a blue chip investment. If you go into it with a good attitude, I suspect you'll get a lot back. If you have any questions for me (I’ll be honest as you can probably tell) call Lisa Christie at Green Mountain – she knows who I am and can put you in touch with me, or with someone else who'll share their experience.

OH.. and if you are going to be there for more than a week (or even if you aren't) bring a laundry bag and small bills or change-- there are washers and dryers, and it's nice to go home with clean clothes or to pack less!

Good luck to you, on wherever your journey takes you -- even if it's not Green Mountain at Fox Run right now. Your pace is the pace!

Room Tip: If you're in a double or a triple, that's upstairs, so you'll be up and down more often...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
38  Thank Kathy N
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The two weeks I spent at Green Mountain at the end of the summer were relaxing, enlivening and restorative. I felt the weight of the world lifted from my shoulders, the staff are extremely supportive and create an environment that fits what you need. The food was amazing, my room was very comfortable, and the facility is well- cared for. It is so hard for women to find time in their busy lives to take time to look after themselves. Do it! It is the best choice you can make for yourself, and for all those that depend on you! Yes, I did lose weight at Green Mountain, yes, I continue to lose weight - months later I am happily applying the principals I learned at Green Mountain. Those lessons were more than weight loss and have enriched my life. Make the time to go!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Catherine H
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The single most important thing I've ever done for myself. Bar none.
I made changes I never thought possible.

Excellent food, accommodations, behavioral classes, staff and support!

Do this for yourself!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Peg B
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I recently had the opportunity to stay at Green Mountain at Fox Run, Ludlow, Vermont. I have been struggling with my weight for a long time and considered surgery but it scared me. My husband found Green Mountain online and after doing some research I decided to go for one month. During my initial phone call, Alan, one of the owners, told me I would laugh, cry, make friends, time would go fast and that I would leave feeling so much better. He was right! It has been a life-changing, life-saving experience for me.
The rooms and the facility were very clean, the living area, dining room and the “hang-out” room downstairs were very cozy. The setting is unbelievably beautiful!!
Green Mountain is not a fat-farm, it is not a quick fix but the staff addresses every aspect of being overweight: Their nutritionists teach you what to eat, what good food does to your body, how to make eating out not so much of a challenge; their psychologists address the “why do we eat what we eat and when we eat”, the emotions connected to over-eating, to listen to our bodies and teach us to love ourselves and regain self-worth! The fitness team got us moving: walking up the hill is climbing the Green Mountain, they made it fun, showed us what activities are out there, other than a gym. We walked, hiked, swam, used paddleboats, got introduced to Yoga, strength training, cardio on a fitness ball and were shown modifications if you could not do certain exercises. Everything they did was to encourage us to get healthy at our own pace! Going to Green Mountain, there is no after surgery recuperation time, you’re getting healthier the moment you arrive. After just three days everyone gets what the staff calls: “The Green Mountain Glow” and glowing you do! The meals were prepared for you and they were excellent, all organic food. This place is for women only. I was apprehensive going there by myself but meeting women in the same situation as I was gave us an instant bond. I chose to stay for 4 weeks and needed this time to make my journey complete, to give me the tools to make it work at home. It is not a posh place but it is so comfortable, their staff so professional, wonderful and kind knowledgeable and encouraging! It has been such a blessing! I’m sure I will be going back there to re-charge, many ladies do!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Carin R
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I am very grateful for the privilege that I had to go to Green Mountain twice this year. It is the one of the best life decisions I have made.

Ever since I had bariatric surgery, I struggled with regaining weight. At Green Mountain I found a professional team that advised and helped me to design a comprehensive program to sustain a healthy life. I learned that being healthy is not just about losing weight and that it can be a fun experience. I am going one step at a time and learning good habits.

The location is beautiful and relaxing. The professional team is very knowledgeable, friendly and encouraging. The lodge is very comfortable and spotless. The food is delicious, satisfying and innovative. The program includes even cooking classes!

I also had the opportunity to meet other wonderful participants who were struggling with similar issues. It was encouraging to learn together and make new friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank Lil liana M
ahwayler, Owner at Green Mountain at Fox Run, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are happy that our program was able to help with the lifestyle changes that must accompany bariatric surgery. - Alan

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have had the blessing of a 2nd stay at Green Mountain at Fox Run. At Green Mountain you will find a healthy living program backed up with expert staff guiding you the distance to a better feeling you both inside and out. It's an immersion program that offers delicious and satisfying meals based on sound nutritional principles taught by registered dietitians. The expert fitness ladies will provide you with physical modifications to accommodate your obstacles to safe exercise. I had several issues, bad feet, bad left knee and an abdominal hernia. I was taught the modifications so that I could exercise safely and learned to become more active despite these issues I formerly viewed as barriers to exercise. Within the first week, I found myself feeling better both physically and mentally. The facility offers a cozy environment that is super clean! I travel a lot staying in high end hotel chains. Green Mountain is spotless and cleaner than any hotel I have ever stayed in. Treat yourself to a Green Mountain getaway. Immerse yourself into a healthy program for you away from life's distractions in beautiful Vermont. Just do it for your well being! Just do it for your body, for your soul, for your loved ones. They will thank you for the rejuvenation. My body did, my mind did, my husband did!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Ilovermont2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
Jackson Gore Inn
Castle Hill Resort And Spa
The Pettigrew Inn
The Pettigrew Inn
#2 of 7 in Ludlow

Been to Green Mountain at Fox Run? Share your experiences!