“Best Place Ever! Just Go!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ludlow
Green Mountain at Fox Run
Dillon Beach, California
“Best Place Ever! Just Go!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Wow, where to start. From all the reviews I expected an older facility, some what run down but with good programs. What I found was a clean, updated, well kept facility which exceeded my expectations in every way. Instruction was top notch, professional and experienced. I am 56 years old and have spent my adult life with personal trainers. The trainers here were equal if not better than any I have had. Their modifications for my shoulder and knee limitations were perfect.
Food was great and they made substitutions or additions when I asked. It was the best "Me" vacation I have ever had. It was a break from my normal routine and heaven having someone else prepare my meals that were healthy and delicious. All I had to do each day was decide how to spend my day. What I did was exercise, eat, hike, go to classes on interesting topics and meet other intelligent, thoughtful caring women. It doesn't get better than that. I hope to go back in 2013.

Room Tip: I did the triple so I could afford to stay two weeks. Worked for me and I met two wonderful women I...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank BarbaraDillonBeach
ahwayler, Owner at Green Mountain at Fox Run, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Barbara,

Thanks so much for your feedback. We strive to make sure every woman receives a very personal experience at Green Mountain, and I'm so pleased to hear you received the modifications and options you needed to make your stay here a success.

All my best,

Alan

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I attended Green Mountain in the June of 2011 as a 22-year-old female battling with binge eating disorder. As I searched high and low for the perfect place to help me turn my life around, I fortunately stumbled across Green Mountain and in four weeks the program helped me change my outlook on food, exercise, and life in general. Even though a lot of women who attend the program are originally looking for a quick fix to shedding some pounds, Green Mountain is about so much more than weight loss. I know that was my intention as I surfed the internet late last May but as I read the information on the website and then sat through the classes, I realized weight loss was going to be a healthy benefit of changing my current patterns.

For four weeks I had nothing and no one else to worry about except for myself which allowed me the space and time to re-learn who I was, what I liked, and why I was using food as a coping mechanism. Along with therapeutic alone time, insightful classes, and tiring yet powerful body movements and workouts, you are given the opportunity to add more to your daily schedule (i.e. behavioral sessions, personal training sessions, health sessions with a dietician). I personally took full advantage of the behavior sessions with Darla Breckenridge. The bond I was able to form with her was unlike any other client-therapist relationship I had attempted to be a part of prior to my visit at Green Mountain. We still keep in touch through our phone sessions and I am one of her biggest advocates in terms of her style, demeanor, tactics, and love.

Green Mountain's focus is on how we, as busy, stressed, confused, or even self-loathing women can turn our focus from self-sabotaging with food to nurturing ourselves with other forms of healthy comfort. The program is not about weight loss, but about self-respect gain. I do think it's relevant to mention for those of you wondering, that I have lost a substantial amount of weight since attending the program as a healthy "side effect" of starting the journey by unraveling the pain in my heart, the dilemmas in my head, and the demons I had surrounding food. Since I left Green Mountain, there have been times of indulgence, times of over eating, and times of food confusion but there have been no binges, no secret eating, and very limited emotional eating. Although I'm not completely freed from food, as it was my best friend for so long, I'm in the transitional stages of eating to live and not living to eat.

Room Tip: You have choices of single rooms, doubles, or triples. I personally stayed in a single and loved my...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
15 Thank Jacki M
ahwayler, Owner at Green Mountain at Fox Run, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
We are so pleased that Green Mountain had such an impact on you. We wish you continued health and happiness in your journey. Alan
Rochester, New York
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Originally I was just interested in taking a retreat to get back into a healthier lifestyle and jumpstart my plan to maintain a much lower weight. I did a lot of research and I chose GM because it seemed to be somewhat less expensive than some of the other programs and it seemed more centered around the program rather than the resort it was located in. The mountain has breathtaking views of beautiful Vermont and I was lucky enough to have a room looking out at Okemo Mountain. The food was wonderful, really a pleasure to sit in the dining room and enjoy gourmet meals. They were able to make allowances for my food allergies and I was surprised at the variety of foods we had to eat while I was there. The staff is amazing. They were enthusiastic and very receptive to questions. The exercise classes were terrific and there were more than just one or two choices for activities. I enjoyed being outside and walking trails with my new friends. I was surprised how many different types of women were here and how many different age groups there were. It made the classes very lively and interesting. I learned so much more than I expected to and made some friends for life. This is an amazing program and if you are ready to make a change in your life, this is the place that can help you do that. It's not a resort type place, but it is very comfortable and the rooms are very clean and functional. The location can't be beat and there are a lot of places to visit in the area. I just had a wonderful time and I'm so grateful to be back on track and taking care of myself the way I always wanted to. I will be coming here again.

Room Tip: You want to be on the Okemo Mountain side.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank K_mancarella
Bedford, New Hamphsire
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I'm a nurse and I've made 2 trips to Green Mountain at Fox Run in the last 9 months: 2 weeks in July 2011 and 9 days in January 2012.. I had researched other weight loss spas and found that Green Mountain offered a unique philosophy for losing weight and improving health that was right for me. At 52, I wasn't looking to get a massage each day, I was looking for a way to decrease my cardiac risk. After years of losing and gaining the same 30 lbs, Green Mountain has given me the tools for permanent weight loss. I've lowered my blood pressure medication, my triglycerides and my cholesterol level. Through a comprehensive program that focuses on mindful living and behavioral change, Green Mountain offers many fitness and nutrition options for women at all levels of health and health needs. The amazing Green Mountain staff taught me skills I'd never learned while dieting and 9 months later they're still working for me.It is a combination of mindful eating, mindful relaxation, daily movement, a favorite sport, without a diet mentality. I chose mindfully and I feel better than I have in years.

I thought the food was excellently prepared and presented - challenging you at breakfast by offering a buffet style. This taught me the importance of eating a variety of foods at each meal and most importantly, portion control. I also liked the chef's classes - fun and very informative, with the option of taste testing! You get recipes galore, both printed and online - with access to buy the Green Mountain cookbooks.

The spa setting is spectacular - nestled in the mountains of southern Vermont, Green Mountain offers wonderful outdoor activities for women who enjoy nature. While the summer is beautiful in Vermont, I returned in the winter to take advantage of winter sports. We hiked on the beautiful snow covered trails and went sledding and snowshoeing on the golf course next to the resort. The accommodations are perfect for those seeking great value. Whether your focus is comfort and relaxation or taking advantage of everything the spa has to offer, you won't be dissapointed. After our excercise classes - including water aerobics at a nearby resort, we took advantage of local activities like shopping, dinner and dancing in the local area. Don't miss a trip to Woodstock (and the Woodstock Inn) if your looking for some New England charm and elegance.

Another great aspect of Green Mountain for me was meeting women from all over the country. I have made some great friends and stay connected with them online as we support each other's fitness and nutritions goals. I continue to use the alumnae resources like coaching support from staff that are available on the spa's website. I'm planning a trip back with a group in September to see the foliage, which I hear is amazing.

I would give Green Mountain my highest recommendation as a well rounded weight loss spa that focuses on teaching the skills necessary for better health and permanent weight loss. If you're looking for a program that works, this is it.

Room Tip: I've stay on both the second and third floors. I'd chose the third floor again for the view!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
13 Thank Victoria603
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I didn't know what to expect when I went to Green Mountain in Fall 2011. I was looking for a weight-loss camp originally, but I knew I also needed to take care of my mind, body and soul. I needed to learn to live a healthful life again. I didn't want to lose weight and then just put it all back on again when I got home.

Green Mountain was amazing. First, they helped me see how all the dieting I was doing was only hurting me, not helping. I learned all about intuitive eating at Green Mountain. For the first time, I stopped feeling guilty about eating French fries or a brownie.

The fitness was the best part of the whole experience for me. The staff was so helpful and accommodating. They take the time to help every single person who comes to Green Mountain. If you have knee problems, hip problems, whatever, they give you the modifications you need to be able to participate in the classes. There was something for everyone! I really loved Kate especially. She was so caring and motivating and her classes were so fun.

Going through the program with other women who have weight and eating issues cannot be underestimated. There were women of all ages, shapes and sizes, but we all had common struggles. I still keep in touch with many of them today and we continue to support each other in our journeys at home.

Since leaving Green Mountain, I feel like a new person. I do not let food rule my life or my weight keep me from doing the things I want to do. I have a better body image and I feel so much better in my body because of how I treat it now through food and fitness. It was such an amazing time in my life. I wish I could go back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
9 Thank Lizz25
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I went to Green Mountain in January and spent 4 weeks getting to know myself again. The staff was amazing. I was not very mindfull before I attended the program and was a bit skeptical about a non diet approach. Having been on every diet known to mankind I was aware that they didn't work, but I wasn't ready to believe that NOT dieting would work either. This experience for me was life changing. The tools they give you here are real. The work they ask you to do is real. You don't have to buy their food or eliminate the foods you like. You don't have to join a gym and you don't have to become another person. All you have to do is listen to yourself and become aware of what you are doing and how you are doing it. I learned so much about myself and I realized that I was my biggest obstacle to maintaining a healthy weight. Again the staff was amazing. Barbara was an inspiration and helped me to expand my horizons a bit more and spend some time working on how I felt about myself. Darla is a dynamic defender of the innner child and really showed me how to be kinder to myself and nurture myself with something other than food. The food was fantastic. It's not like catered food like they have at some retreats. You get plated meals that are beautifully presented and taste as good as they look. The program is well worth the price they are charging and you can continue with assistance online or over the phone after you leave which I found very comforting. There were of course exercise classes which provided more than enough opportunity to get moving. I enjoyed the "vermontings" which were trips to various areas to do some walking and hiking. I made some very close friends while I was there and we are continuing to keep in touch. The building is very nice, but this is not a plush resort hotel. The program and the staff are the stars of this place. The rooms are simple, clean and nice. The common areas have fantastic views and the big comfy furniture was a great place to relax and enjoy the views of Okemo Mountain. The classes were very informative and I took a great deal home in my binder. I will be coming back to this place again and again. I know there will be much more to learn and I so enjoyed the all women environment and supportive atmosphere. I can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Okemo.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
11 Thank missmschmitt
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed January 28, 2012

This is a very expensive weightloss spa that offers next to nothing in professional services. They advertise a personalized program for their guests, but there is no individual training, guidance, or supervision. They offer group guided walks, weight training, aerobics, and classes. You're told to modify the routine if you can't keep up with the group, or sit on the sidelines and watch. There is no one-on-one training. I finally had to skip classes one afternoon because I couldn't handle the pace, but the staff never even knew I was missing. No one checked to see if I was ok, or asked how I could be included in the program.

There are no staff members on duty overnight or all weekend. Guests are completely on their own.

Access to an indoor swimming pool was on the top of my list for reasons to choose GM@FR. I called and spoke to the director (Alan) specifically letting him know that I can't take much weight-bearing exercise. He reassured me that the pool would be available to me. Needless to say, I was shocked when I arrived to discover that they have no swimming pool. You have to hitch a ride with one of the other guests to use a pool a few miles away. Plus, guests only staying for one week are allowed zero time in the pool.

The guest rooms and common areas are worn and tacky, like a cheap motel, with the tiniest bathrooms I've ever seen outside a cruise ship. My room was so cold that I slept in my jacket most nights. The food was sparse and unappetizing; everyone on my group was hungry all the time. Their mindful eating philosophy is a poorly disguised Weight Watchers program: plate model, portion size, chew slowly, etc.

This establishment caters to desperate people who feel safer in an all women environment, and that's the only reason they get away with charging these ridiculous prices. They take advantage of people with low self-esteem, and that's why you don't see as many complaints as they deserve. Most guests leave feeling like a failure, when it's really GM@FR that failed them.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
30 Thank Dot W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
Jackson Gore Inn
Castle Hill Resort And Spa
Timber Inn Motel
Timber Inn Motel
#1 of 6 in Ludlow

Been to Green Mountain at Fox Run? Share your experiences!