“Fantastic Restaurant !!!”

The Downtown Grocery
Ranked #3 of 45 Restaurants in Ludlow
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Irvington, New York
“Fantastic Restaurant !!!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I dined at The Downtown Grocery over Memorial Day weekend. We had a great evening. The food was absolutely delicious and service extremely friendly and professional. We both had the pork and veal pasta special for our entrees with homemade pasta; absolutely wonderful. We split a flatbread and lobster soup. I had the Late Night Breakfast for dessert which was one of a kind. After 2 years since our last visit, The Downtown Grocery has taken its place as one of, if not THE best restaurant in Ludlow. Bravo DG!

• Visited May 2013

Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
“Exemplary guest service”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My better half and I were coming in to Ludlow on 3/15/13 for a weekend concert. Decided to make dinner reservations at The Downtown Grocery for our arrival evening but due to lake effect snow squalls, missed our reservation and did not get in town til midnight. I had called Abbey at the restaurant previous to our reservation time to explain our quandary and she was infinitely understanding and gracious. She told me "Don't worry about a thing. Just get here safely and I'll find a table for you." Wow! Unfortunately didn't make it but the next day she had a cancellation (they're always booked. It's that good) and SHE called ME to offer me the table! We were at the show though. :( Point is it would be a better world if more people were like Abbey. Bravo!

Visited March 2013
Mount Holly, Vermont
“One of the Top Three in Vermont”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I went to the Downtown Grocery in April, 2013 for the first time. You need to call in advance for the weekend, as it is always fully booked. The waitress and hostess were amazing describing the many unusual gourmet dishes on and off the menu. The friendly, efficient service complimented one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. The mussels, and rib eye steak, was the best ever.
My wife had a halibut dish which was fantastic. The deserts were spectacular and worth the calories. We live nearby and will dine here regularly.

• Visited April 2013
Naugatuck, Connecticut
“It Does Not Get Any Better”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

If you we're to develop a template for how to do things right with a restaurant this would be the model you would use. The act of making the reservation becomes more than just securing a table, but becomes the opportunity for Abby and all the staff to establish a personal relationship that begins the moment you walk through the door. The service is friendly, efficient and so well coordinated that it amazes me how all the staff work together to meet your needs. When Abby reviews with each table the seasonal drinks and the special wines she is pouring that evening, her descriptions are so detailed you wish you could try them all. The selection of food is unique, adventurous, and flavorful. The pacing of the meal (a deal breaker in some restaurants) is perfect. I always feel that the spacing between each course could not be better. Desserts are unlike you would find in most restaurants and often have a Vermont twist. There is no better restaurant in Vermont and I would suspect few better in the country.

Visited April 2013
NYC
“Excellent "local" [New England] dining in Ludlow”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have eaten at the Downtown Grocery many times and have consistently had excellent meals. I always look forward to the specials board as you never know what you'll find when you get there. The cocktails are amazing and inventive, albeit a bit on the pricy side. Desserts are fantastic! Make a reservation ahead of time.

• Visited March 2013