“As good as anything in NY or Chicago”

The Downtown Grocery
Ranked #7 of 46 Restaurants in Ludlow
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 27, 2011

This is the restaurant to go to in Vermont if you are a foodie. I went here in October 2011 while I was in Ludlow and I couldn't believe I found this little gem. Pretty much everything on the menu is local and so fresh. I had the mussels and lobster-corn bisque and they were amazing. Everyone else loved their dishes, too -- from gnocchi to a pimento burger. The signature drinks were also good, although overpriced. But the best part of the dinner was the desserts. Their signature dessert -- french toast with bacon ice cream and Vermont maple syrup was THE best dessert I've had anywhere -- and the sorbets were amazing. Furthermore, the owners and wait staff are extremely friendly and welcoming. I can't wait to go back when I'm in town - it rivals some of the best gastronomic experiences I've had in food towns, like NY or Chicago.

1  Thank Lcny2001

Reviewed December 26, 2011

We ate here with my sister and her family who are local. The hostess (wife of owner/chef) was trying too hard to mask the overpriced and underwhelming food with her "southern charm". No one was biting as more than half the party are from the southern US. The atmosphere was WAY. TOO. LOUD! We could barely hear our wait staff announce the "spe ials"...maybe special for Vermonters and other northEasterners, but not that special for us. The waiter seemed put off when asked to repeat his recitation. Overall, I would say we prbly won't go back. We will cook at home or head to Manchester or Woodstock for dinner.

4  Thank swestmom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

It's been less than a month and I've forgotten what I've eaten.

I think this place could be a lot better if it spent less time trying to be different (beef tongue, etc.) and concentrate on serving something tasty. That's the problem with an avant gard menu. It wasn't bad...I just don't remember anything that I ate, just that the menu was "different" (and they were really proud of it).

Even the drink menu tried to hard to be "different".

I mark great dining experiences by remembering the dishes and good times that I had while there. All you'll remember here is that you ate something different, that it wasn't bad, but you won't remember it 3 weeks later..and you will feel like you spent more than you should have for the experience.

4  Thank BayouWanderer
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised to find such a fantastic place to eat on a recent fall weekend getaway to Vermont. We did not make a reservation, thinking it wouldn't be very busy outside of ski season - think again! Ludlow felt like a ghost town otherwise, but TDG was still packed, and although we did have to wait about 30 minutes for a table it was well worth it. Everything we ordered was excellent, and if you go, do yourself a favor and save room for the Late Night Breakfast for dessert - it does NOT disappoint!

1  Thank BridgetBK
Reviewed October 1, 2011

The Downtown Grocery is a completely new business located on Depot Street in the former space of Capuccino's, a Ludlow staple for years. Chef-owned, this farm-to-table gem boasts a fresh, creative, chalkboard menu, plus regular offerings that are far from regular. The hostess and chef's wife hails from Mississippi, so Southern hospitality prevails. The service team is energetic and passionate. The bar area has a view into the bustling kitchen. The sous-chef is a native of nearby Weston, so the menu is infused with items from her garden.
Everything from the intricately described menu offerings through to dessert is thoroughly enjoyable. My wife and I have enjoyed Downtown Grocery twice already, once in July and then again in early September. Both times we were wowed. The portions are ample and the price very fair. Give it a try!

1  Thank pkdpwdr