“Excellent food, service, and prices”
Review of Bella Luna Ristorante - CLOSED

Bella Luna Ristorante
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I had a great meal at Bella Luna restaurant. We all had different orders and loved them, especially the pasta primivera and the penne alla vodka. Though I did not have it, I saw a linguine and clam dish (my favorite) go to another table, and it looked SO delicious. Everything was home made, and the entrees and deserts were both phenomenal,
The service was friendly,and prompt, and the dining room was beautiful, it was modeled to look like an Italian village, with shooting stars on the ceiling....I imagine it would be a great place to bring kids.
We were also very pleased with the wine list, and the wine specials. Unlike many restaurants, the markup was fair.
I usually like to include both pros and cons in my reviews, but for Bella Luna I cannot think of anything that was not excellent.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

There were only 4 occupied tables in our dining room yet it was 60 minutes before we even received our salads. We had made reservations and were seated promptly when we arrived but the dinner went downhill from there. The food was acceptable --very reasonably priced -- but not great and the service exceptionally slow. Maybe it was our table location near an outside Emergency Entrance, but there was a constant breeze on us. I can't close without mentioning the overdone decor - phew! Maroon everywhere! And too gaudy to be considered Italian...
A hint...if the parking lot is full, there is another on the lower level right in front of the moose statue.

1  Thank pmorena
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had a wonderful relaxing dinner at Bella Luna last night..the food quality was very good and prices were reasonable . Our waitress was Amanda and she knew the menus inside out. She was able to get a dish for my Son that wasn't on the menue but was his favorite. The restaurant was spacious and beautiful. I would return here for dinner again!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

My wife, our son and his wife, and their three small children (visiting us from the midwest) all went to Bella Luna last night for dinner. It was our first visit in a couple of years.

We found the atmosphere and food to be excellent, and our waitress (Jessica or "Jess") was simply outstanding. She was attentive to every detail, except perhaps for the seemingly long wait between our salads and main courses, but they were busy and I imagine he kitchen was a bit slow.

We had a reservation and were seated immediately. Water was poured promptly, and another wait person was frequently present refilling our water glasses without being asked. One of our grandchildren, a 10-year old girl, was struggling a bit in choosing her entree, so Jess gently asked her "If you could have anything on that you wanted, what would you like?" We thought that was a wonderful, kind way to handle the girl's obvious concern. It turned out the girl wanted some mozzarella cheese melted on top of the children's dish of spaghetti, but was unsure if they could do that. Jess smiled and said "Of course we can do that!" It was a nice way to simply handle that detail, but it typified our service, which was excellent.

All of the dinners were exactly as advertised. My bolognese was among the best I have ever had, and my wife's chicken marsala was outstanding, too. Our only minor complaint was that the salads were a bit "white" (a lot of inner lettuce leaves).

We were too full for desserts, but we were happy to have brought our son and his family there, and we will certainly return soon.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We've been going to Bella Luna's every summer since it opened and have seen it go downhill over time. Our last meal there prompted us to look for another place for dinner while in Ludlow (which turned out to be a good thing; we found a great place!). Granted, the building is beautiful; the interior is a feast for the eyes. It raises expectations, and these were met our first couple of times there. Not any more.

Bella Luna has a terrible problem with service, always has. Servers see you promptly after seating and may bring drinks within a short time, but the delays for taking the order, putting bread on the table, filling water glasses and actually bringing food are very long. More than once during our last dinner I looked around the crowded dining room and saw many people waiting for something and not one employee in sight. I have no idea where they go or what is taking their attention off their customers, but it's a chronic problem. When the servers do show up, they appear overwhelmed. They're very nice, but they're distracted and even breathless at times.

If it were just the service problem, I wouldn't be writing this review, but the food is not that good anymore. For this past dinner, when we did get our bread rolls, they were cold, dried out and fell apart while buttering. The salads were fresh though, which was nice. My puff pastry escargot was okay for inventiveness (and I like pastry), but the snails were overcooked and chewy. My stuffed chicken breast was over-cooked and dry; it was so bad that I could only eat a third of it. My husband's steak tips were overcooked and chewy. We skipped coffee and dessert, and waited so long for our check that we were discussing leaving an approximate amount of cash on the table and leaving.

There are better places to eat in Ludlow, for better food, service and value. Just check Trip Advisor!

1  Thank SueD_MA