“A Nice Stay, No Complaints”
Review of Snowdon Chalet

Snowdon Chalet
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Londonderry
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed for a ski weekend to take advantage of the motel's excellent location relative to Magic, Bromley and Stratton, and it certainly didn't disappoint there. Just a five-minute drive to Magic, and about 15-20 minutes for the other two is more than enough to lure me back.

But, aside from the location, there was nothing outside of your standard motel offerings. The bed was fine, shower was sufficient, the heat worked nicely and the place was clean. There's also a little spread of coffee, donuts, etc. each morning. But there was nothing about the accommodations that jumped out and "wowed" me.

I've stayed in cheaper motels near New England/New York ski areas and had similar experiences to this one.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Just returned from 4 days skiing at Stratton Mtn and stayed at the Snowdon Motel in Londonderry, Vt. What a great little motel sort of a throwback to the classic 50's motel with modern updated enhancements. Clean as a whistle! The owner and staff were amazingly friendly and extra willing to accommodate the most trivial request. One of my "biggies" is a good shower and this one was wonderful.....copious quantites of hot water, great pressure and no fluctuations in temps.

I'm almost reluctant to write a "sterling review" for fear Snowdon may always be booked with no room for me......note I usually never write reviews.

Ron L.
New London, Ct

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ron L
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here one night (Oct 28-29 2012).
I chose this motel based on the location I needed (central Vermont) and the positive reviews that I read here. Although the room was clean, I found the "retro" look to be more "old and tired". The motel is surely older, and I am used to similarly aged motels (i.e. Adirondacks) so my issue is not just age. You can blend newer amenities wtih older furnishings and end up with a very nice result, but I did not get that feeling here.

To be fair and to agree with other reviews, the ower was very pleasant and attentive to any issues. Since the heat was not yet on, he gave us a space heater which worked but was a little more "cabin" than I had hoped for. I would have been happier if I had paid less, but I could have stayed

Was is OK? Yes. Would I stay here again? I think I'd try another place in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2012

WOW! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. As others have noted, the room and bathroom, as well as the lovely porch upstairs, and the grounds, were immaculate!
Clean, Clean, Clean!
Groovy, funky, retro 60s-80s ski lodge type of motel which was fun and more functional than many newer properties we've stayed in! Great shower pressure and temperature. The bed and entire room were comfortable. We slept through the night; always a good sign.
The owners are clearly concerned for their guests' happiness and comfort.
We expressed interest in their veggie garden, and we ended up getting "a tour" and going home with armfuls of produce! Without asking, we were brought a modern space heater in case we got chilly (temps at night did fall to the 40s.) We also were told not to rush on the Monday morning of our check-out-- whenever we wanted to leave was okay... I've truly never met hotel owners more friendly, personable, generous, and just all around wonderful!
Make no mistake, we had complete privacy; but, when we happened to bump into the proprietors, our conversations with them were completely natural and friendly and fun.
By the way, it seems not to be advertised, but the owners do put out coffee, tea, orange juice, english muffins, toast, cold cereals with milk starting at 7:30 until at least 10:30 or 11 am. Self serve breakfast included to get you going! Great Bonus!

We travel to Manchester and environs often. This motel is only 15 minutes east of Manchester. Driving distances between Dorset, Manchester, Londonderry, Jamaica, Weston, Stratton, etc. are not far when traveling in Southern VT.
I would return to the SNOWDON in a heartbeat for ANY southern VT sojourn!

Room Tip: Room 10 upstairs was great.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The Snowdon Motel is a comfortable, convenient place to stay in southern Vermont. I spent 4 nights there with my daughter and 3 grandchildren--ages 15, 2, and 3 months. My daughter was working at the Wanderlust Yoga festival at Stratton Mountain. The room was comfortable and clean. The best part was the friendliness and helpfulness of the owners. It is not fancy or modern but is easy to find and convenient to much in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I recently stayed at the Snowdon Motel and was impressed with its impeccable clean rooms and sparkling tiles in the bathroom. Yes, the furniture is from the time the Snowdon was built, but this is how it should be…..it goes with the style of the motel. Any updates in the décor would probably force the owner to increase the rates, which now are very reasonable and affordable (considering other travel costs like food, restaurants, and gas). Besides the very clean and comfortable beds, and free wi-fi, I appreciated the microwave and rather large dorm-sized refrigerator in the room. Not even high-end posh hotels offer this kind of service! What I especially liked were the windows in the room overlooking a meadow and forest….who knows, maybe next time I’ll see a deer or moose grazing outside? I also liked the location of the Snowdon as it is only a couple of miles away from Lowell Lake which is a great lake with a view of Magic Mountain and ideal for kayaking, swimming, and wildlife watching. The Appalachian Trail and other cool hiking and mountain biking trails in the National Forest are in easy reach as well. The Snowdon Motel is also close to Londonderry where there is Clark’s, a fairly large grocery store, and the American Grille, yet another affordable place to eat. Well, if you are the budget-minded traveler who likes the outdoors and needs clean, roomy, functional accommodation, then this is definitely the place to stay. The cleanliness of the rooms reflect the very proud owners who seem to care for their lovely motel! Of course, I will return and tell all my friends and bicycling buddies about this gem!

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have a nice porch with comfortable chairs in front of the rooms
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Christiane C
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Snowdon Motel. The hosts are terrific and caring and introduced us to their really cool hydroponic garden. The location is great and our room was simple and tastefully decorated, very clean and quiet with a nice balcony and comfortable lounge chairs. The view was also nice. We are going to be returning to Vermont and won’t hesitate staying again. The Snowdon is just minutes from Lowell Lake which is a gem for kayaking and swimming, bird and wildlife watching (see attached photo). It is also very convenient to the Vermont Country Store, Manchester, and skiing. Trail heads for the Long Trail are only 15 min away and you are minutes from the National Forest and all kinds of hiking. The bottom line is nice accommodations at a fair price.

Room Tip: Our upstairs double room on left was great, balcony is really cool, wonderful mourning doves
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Londonderry
Jackson Gore Inn
#2 of 3 in Londonderry
Swiss Inn
Swiss Inn
#3 of 3 in Londonderry

Been to Snowdon Chalet? Share your experiences!