“I don't regret staying here but I'm never going back”

Hillside Inn at Killington
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Killington
Reviewed August 30, 2009

This hotel has its good and bad points;

The Good -
Rooms were clean and spacious, nice furniture including big padded bed headboards, table with chairs, and large cabinet to hang wet ski clothing. There was also a small kitchenette with microwave and fridge. Overall, considering this is just a hotel room, there is plenty of space and amenities for 2 people to stretch out and be comfortable after a long day of sking. The staff seemed nice and the location is a short drive from the main mountain.

The Bad-
The rooms have no individual climate control. If you are a temperature sensitive sleeper then do not stay here. It was hot enough that we slept with our door open a few inches, not the safest idea but thats how warm it was. The bathroom setup is not bad, but a little weird. There is no door closing off the room from the bathroom sink and shower. The toilet is in it's own little (hot stuffy) room with no noticable working ventilation or fan. yuck. So basically the bathroom is open to the entire room, like I said, it's just a little wierd, it makes the whole room damp and hot when people are taking showers.

Parking is my next huge complaint here. Simply put, there is not enough! I don't know what it's like in the summer but in winter the snowbanks don't allow for any extra parking on non paved areas. We came back around 10:30PM and there were no places to park! I had to use 4WD to force my truck into a snowbank to park in order to not block other cars. Parking capacity is a joke and whoever designed the layout of this place didn't know what they were doing. Also the driveway is relatively steep and poorly maintained, so getting out requires some momentum if you have only 2WD.

Also, the price was a little high for a place with this much to complain about. Although all other lodging on the access road is in the same price range during the ski season.

Overall, I don't completely regret staying here because the rooms were big, nice, and clean and the staff was friendly upon check in/out. But, my long list of complaints regarding design of the rooms and parking will keep me from staying here again. Next ski season I will try the next hotel up the road for sure.

• Stayed: January 2009
3  Thank snowboarderMA
hillsideinnkillingto, Webmaster at Hillside Inn at Killington, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2011

Dear Guest,

I am glad that you found our staff to be nice. It is always our intention that our valued guests be treated properly, but it is always nice to have this confirmed by the guests themselves.

I’m glad that you found your room to be spacious and enjoyed the amenities.

I’m glad that the location was a good one for you and I hope that you really enjoyed your skiing opportunities.

Upon receipt of your review the following steps were taken:

• The possibility of some sort of individual climate control being installed in the rooms at some future date is being looked into.

• Maintenance was approached about the openness of the bathroom to the rest of the room to see if some sort of enclosure could be provided, possibly a folding door or curtain.

• Maintenance was instructed to see to it that adequate parking spaces are provided for our guests.

I hope that the next time you visit in our area, you will once again choose to stay at the Alpine Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed April 13, 2009

Don't get me wrong, the hotel is quite good. The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable. The problem with this hotel is that it has NO heating. There are NO heaters in the room. The ventilation system does NOT work at all. Thus, the room is very cold, damp, and uncomfortable. You do not look forward to coming back to your room. You actually look forward to leaving so that you can finally warm up. We frooze during the night under the covers. Also, the showers/faucets are NOT warm. It took quite a while before the warm water appeared. For these reason alone, I won't return anytime soon.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NewEnglandHotels

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Alpine Inn during your recent visit to our area. I hope you had a wonderful time skiing.

I am glad to hear that you found our staff to be friendly. This is of course what is expected of them, but it is always nice to hear.

I am glad also that you liked the size of our rooms.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• Maintenance staff was instructed to look into the matter of heating the rooms and make sure that all of the rooms are properly heated and ventilated. They were also instructed to make sure that there is proper parking space available for our guests.

Reviewed March 19, 2009

My four night stay was the worst. The temperature in my room when I checked in was 55 degrees, and there was no thermostat or heater. I was told the heat comes up through the concrete floor and I could not control the temperature. The front office provided a space heater that I had on the whole time and it still never got past 65 degrees. The walls are so thin I could make out words my neighbors were speaking, and there are no deadbolts on the door.
They didn't plow the snow out of the lot, so there was insufficient parking - only about a dozen spots in the main lot. I parallel parked along the rear of the lot along with many other guests. At 12:30 am I received a call from the manager telling me I had to move my car. I'd been parked there since 8 pm, and had been asleep for a couple hours, but he waited until the middle of the night to call me. The guy was a total jerk, poorly groomed, and he refused to apologize (he said, "Why should I apologize? You were the one who parked illegally". I had to move my car to a poorly lit lot about 100 yards away - uphill behind the complex. On two other nights there was a constant banging coming from the room below me that lasted until 1 am. Even with my ear plugs I couldn't get to sleep. They never changed the bedding even once, and they never emptied the garbage when they "serviced" my room. In summary: cold room, inconsiderate and inept staff, insufficient parking, poor security, noisy, unclean, and paper thin walls. I'm not exaggerating when I say this was my worst hotel experience ever.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Morjamin

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that you had some bad experiences while staying with us. Upon receiving your review, the following steps were taken:

• Housekeeping staff received additional training as to the level of cleanliness expected of them as our employees.

• The management staff received additional training as to the courteous way in which they, as our representatives, are expected to treat our valued guests.

• Maintenance staff received additional training as to way they are to maintain the parking lot, seeing to it that there is adequate parking for our guests.

• Security staff received additional training as to their responsibility in keeping our establishment as safe as possible for all.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 24, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel twice. The first time was in October of 2007, and while I don't remember much of that experience other than the insufficient parking lot, it must have been positive enough that we suggested this place to our friends as an option for a ski weekend getaway this past February.

It's true, you can't control the temperature of the room. There's no thermostat, and the heat comes up through the floor. When we were here in February, the furnace was a-crankin' and we had to crack the window to prevent ourselves from sweating to death. If the furnace isn't working, I guess you have a chillier scenario like some of the other reviews describe.

It's also true that the parking situation is subpar. There are two tiny lots that don't even come close to accommodating the capacity of the hotel. In the winter this can be quite a problem, as people tend to park up and down the driveway when the lots fill up, and if someone gets stuck trying to leave, well...you're all hosed until they can wedge themselves out and limp up the hill to the access road. Four-wheel-drive is your friend here.

Our experience has been that the rooms are otherwise clean and comfortable and the staff friendly enough. Pros: Microwave, fridge, and separate toilet. Cons: The shower and sink are not partitioned off from the rest of the room by any kind of door, so when your spouse gets up in the morning to take a shower and blow-dry his hair, he floods the room with light and noise.

But this ain't the Ritz, my friend, and you shouldn't expect the amenities of such. For us, this place was perfect both times we stayed here because it did what we needed it to do, and that was to provide us a place to sleep, wash, and stash our junk. If we'd wanted the hotel to be a legitimate part of our vacation, we would've looked for a cute B&B or something.

If you're looking for an inexpensive place to stay that provides the basics, this is a good bet. Otherwise, be willing to spend a little more for something fancier.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kidaavani

Dear Guest,

I’m glad that you found our establishment to be sufficient for your needs, in spite of the problems with the heat and parking. I greatly appreciate the nice things you said about the Alpine Inn and also I appreciate your calling our attention to the problems that you experienced with the heat and parking. Our guests are our eyes and ears and your review is greatly valued.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• The maintenance staff was spoken with concerning the heat challenges. The matter is being looked into to see if see if some sort of remedy can be brought about. They were also instructed to take some sort of action to eliminate the problems with parking.

Reviewed April 14, 2008

I stayed here in early April for an overnight. I booked the room directly through the Red Roof website for $58. My room was ice cold and the bed had not been made. When I called the front desk, I was told they had been having problems with their boiler and there was basically no heat. There also wasn't any hot water. The night clerk did bring a space heater which helped a bit.

I was appalled that there was no mention of the problem from the hotel upfront. This is just plain horrible business.

• Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank drax9

Dear Guest,

I’m sorry that your visit wasn’t as pleasant as you had anticipated. Upon receiving your review, the following steps were taken:

1) The registration staff received additional training concerning their responsibility in letting our guests know of problems which are being experienced before they enter their rooms, rather than letting it come as a surprise.

2) Maintenance staff was approached about the matter with the heat and the boiler. They were instructed to make sure that this matter has been taken care of properly.

3) Housekeeping staff has received additional training in making sure that the rooms are properly cleaned and ready for new occupants.

Reviewed April 10, 2008

I stayed at this hotel the last weekend in March. The room was so cold we had to wear socks to bed and could actually see our breath. Getting in/out of the shower was rough, as you froze the second you turned off the water. This hotel does NOT let you control the heat. We called the front desk SEVERAL times, and were assured that the heat would be turned up, however, it took 2 days for the room to be "kind of warm". The hotel provided us a coffee maker, but didn't give us cups. The room was clean, with exception to the few chips we located in the bathroom. The shade in the room was broken. The walls are hollow. You could hear everything happening in the rooms around you. The best part was that we were stranded at the hotel, as our "all wheel drive" couldn't make it up the unsalted/sanded icy driveway/road (us and many other hotel occupants). What an experience!! You can walk up the steep hill to the access road, but don't expect to get a ride to the mountain....The bus only stops - every few hours - at this hotel --
It was a cheap hotel, so, if you are young, broke, and have a 4-wheel drive vehicle with good tires....this is the place for you!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Alpine Inn for your recent stay in our area.

I am very sorry about the unpleasant challenges which you experienced as our guest. I’m sure it must have been really awful to be that cold and not be able to get out and go to a warmer place.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• Maintenance staff was instructed to look into the problem with the heat and with the showers.

• Both maintenance staff and security staff were instructed to see to the situation with the parking lot and to see to it that it is properly sanded and or salted so that people can get in and out of it safely.

I hope that the next time you visit our area you will once again choose to stay at the Alpine Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed March 18, 2008

Stayed here with a friend. After reading the other reviews many are dead on.

Our room was like a Sauna and the floor too hot to walk on I guess this is better than being cold. There is no way to control the heat on your own.

Our room was not what I would say as clean. Popcorn kernals on the floor from a previous guest and the bathroom area floor was very dirty - not sock or barefoot worthy.

Our hairdryer did not work and they let us use when I asked if they had one to spare, the front desk gave me keys to someone elses room to which they thought was empty. Scary. Thankfully the person was not in there room that would have been very scary. Then they let us use another room just to blow dry our hair thankfully but said please do not make a mess - strange situation.

It does seem to cater to the underage drinking crowd was awoken several times by yelling and pounding on doors. Also parking is a nightmare. Had to park at the top of a hill upon our return from a night out and walk along the access road to the hotel. Not very safe at all.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank joesone

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Alpine Inn during your recent stay in our area.

I am really sorry about the problems that you experienced while a guest in our establishment. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• The housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees. They also were instructed as to their responsibility to make sure that all appliances in the rooms were working properly before the rooms were said to be ready for new guests.

• The maintenance staff was instructed to look into the matter of some way in which our guests can control the heat in their rooms. If this is not possible, we would like them to look into the matter of all of the rooms being maintained at a reasonable setting.

• Security staff received additional training in making sure that all efforts are made to maintain the property so that all guests and their properties are safely guarded.

• Maintenance staff and security staff have been instructed to see to it that proper parking facilities are maintained for our guests.

• Management staff has received additional training as to not letting guests into other guests’ rooms without permission.

Sincerely.
Hotel Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Killington
Cascades Lodge Killington
#4 of 13 in Killington
Summit Lodge & Resort
Summit Lodge & Resort
#3 of 13 in Killington

Been to Hillside Inn at Killington? Share your experiences!