“Great Stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Killington
New York City, United States
“Great Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I've stayed here twice and I always have a very good experience.
Pro's-
The staff are lovely folks and extremely accommodating, so if you need something just ask.
I've only stayed in a single bed room. It was clean in all the right places, very spacious, with fantastic heating units. Clean filtered water for bathing and washing. ( No mineral rusty odor like some places in the mountains.) Bed, pillows, & towels were comfy. I had an awesome refrigerator in my room, and there is plenty of closet space and racks in the room. It's a pretty quiet place as well. I'm an entertainer so I would get in after 2am and sleep late. It was a little noisy @ 8-9am, but once everyone leaves to go ski/snowboard/tube etc. it's quiet again and I slept till 2pm w/ out a peep of noise. I also stayed on the ground level.
It is walking distance to great restaurants, and great night life entertainment. By car it's just minutes away from the mountain. Parking is free and plenty of it.

Cons- The rooms are a bit dated, but somewhat in a cool way. TV was a blast from the past and the vibe & colors of the room & bathroom were a little depressing & dated. The carpet was a bit worn down, but I never walk barefoot anywhere except my own home, so I advise bring slippers or slaps to walk around in. The doors lock nice and tight & it seems to be a super safe motel and the surrounding area, but I would prefer a bit more secure locking system, but it's a motel and I know what I should bring & not to bring when I stay @ motels. Just an FYI

Bottom line- Great place to stay, I would stay here again and I do tell my friends to stay here.

Thanks Happy Bear!

Room Tip: Top level rooms will be less noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Carla B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Thai first
Queensbury, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Listen. It was by far the cheapest in the area. It was freezing out and the rooms were toasty. Owners were friendly. Bathroom was clean. It did have a strong odor of cleaner when I checked in, but I aired out the room and it improved. Location is perfect for the drinker. Okay, the continental was lacking, but for Pete's sake, what do you expect for the price? I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Sorry, no restaurant or room service. But there are plenty of close places for food, store, bars.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tony G
Lowell, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We decided very spur of the moment to go to Killington for the weekend to ski. The last time we stayed in Killington we stayed pretty far away from the Access Road and the mountain, so we decided to stay a bit closer this time. We found the Happy Bear Motel, and seeing that it was right on the Access Road and not ridiculously expensive, decided to try it out.

The location is ideal. It's a three minute drive to the Ramshead Lodge and probably a five minute drive to the main lodge. You can walk to Jax, The Pickle Barrel, Sushi Yoshi, and many other places. The location is quiet and we had no trouble sleeping.

The rooms are clean enough. There were a couple of spots in the bathroom that could have used a scrub, but I felt very comfortable in the room. The bed was pretty soft and the room has a rack for your skis, a mini fridge, closet, dresser and TV with plenty of channels.

Management was very friendly. We had called them to let them know we'd be in a bit later, and I'm glad we did. The office closes at around 10 or 11, so if you're planning on coming in late, definitely call ahead.

My one complaint is that their continental breakfast is a joke. You have a choice of mini bagels, mini muffins or HoHos. It was better than nothing, but plan on eating at the mountain or going out somewhere for breakfast.

All in all, I would recommend the Happy Bear Motel for anyone heading up to Killington for the weekend looking for a good, clean place by the mountain. There's nothing super special about the motel, but there's also nothing wrong with it. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Secaucus, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday night with a bunch of friends while skiing. The rooms had a strange odor when we first walked into the rooms but later on went away. This place is located across the street from Pickle Barrel and next to a great restaurant (Garlic). The so called "continental breakfast" at this place is a joke. Packaged bagels and toast with 2 choices of cereal. If you are on a budget and need a great location then stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were on a white week right on new year's and decided to focus on location, therefore decided to go to the Happy Bear. It was a great surprise to find out that not only the location was really great (walking distance to many restaurants, bars and nightlife and less than 3 min drive to the mountain) but also the motel was extremly clean,had plenty of hot water, a good breakfast in the morning (muffin, bagels, bread, coffee, juice, cereal etc) and two great people in charge. The couple that is responsible for the reception and management is very pleasant, helpful and kind. They gave us good sugestions for dinner and were always available to help (specially with tips on how to deal with the ice over the car).
Would definitely go back anytime!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nique_Guto
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have to say from the reviews I was very worried about what we would find; however, it was a good surprise! The place is a classic old motel with old decor, small bathroom but the room was clean (we checked!!) and the location cannot be beat. It is located directly across from the bars and very close to the mountain. The manager/person who we dealt with was very nice everytime we called and on check in/out. We were two women who just wanted a place to sleep in between skiing and going out at night and for that this place was just fine. If you are planning on spending any real time in the room then this place isn't for you.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

It seems decent enough at first but the hospitality is awful. After a mix up about check up time, the owners moved all of my belongings without permission to their laundry room and threatened to call the cops because I was on the property without permission (I'm 22 and a girl). While I was l was waiting in the lobby, a couple came in saying they had found an unsanitary object in the cot - a dirty diaper. The owner told them they had to pay $25 for the cot since the couple had borrowed it from a friend's room. He never apologized for the diaper and he seemed shocked that he was expected to take any responsibility, instead focusing on the fact that the cot had been moved without his permission. Overall a disgusting experience - it's worth finding something else slightly more expensive to not support this business.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Alyssa S

Travelers are raving about these Killington hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Killington
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Hillside Inn at Killington
Hillside Inn at Killington
#9 of 13 in Killington
3.0 of 5 stars 149 reviews

Been to Happy Bear Motel? Share your experiences!