“Value for money”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Killington
new york
“Value for money”
Reviewed June 22, 2010

This hotel would not be a disappointment if you are planning a quick stay at Vermont. Staff were friendly and courteous. The heated pool was good

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank princedinesh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
MA
Reviewed March 1, 2010

The location is perfect for skiing, there's a free 5-min shuttle to the nearest mountain trails and lifts and you can get from those trails to 100+ others. Other shuttles to restaurants and bars are very useful, too. The staff is friendly and helpful. Santa Fe steakhouse in the hotel is pricey but good, we didn’t have any problems with the service or food. Other reviewers wrote here that the hotel is outdated. That is ok with me as long as it is clean and doesn't have any smell of old carpet or wood. A balcony room with a gas fireplace (which smells with propane if you keep it working more than an hour) was nice. Mountain views were gorgeous! There were no dressers or drawers but this is not the only hotel in Killington with such problem. The bathroom was ok, even with a sink outside in the room. Our biggest complaint about the room is there was no normal size table where we could put two laptops, just a tiny round one, so we had to use nightstands. The breakfast was good enough: hard boiled eggs, toasts, bagels, waffles which you make yourself, waffle syrup, 3 types of cereal with milk, cream cheese spread, butter, 2 types of jam, coffee & tea (regular and decaf), orange and apple juice, bananas, oranges, and apples. There's an outdoor pool - not the best idea for winter. The sauna was downstairs, far away from the pool and always empty. The game room was very old, there's an old air hockey which couldn't show correct results and the game is time limited, not score limited.
With all these pros and cons I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you are absolutely tolerant to noise. Walls and doors are extremely thin. We tried to get asleep at midnight and could hear drunk voices from the bar. At 1:45am drunk people were still roaming the halls screaming something. Looks like the staff can't do anything about that. Only people who’s lifestyle is like "breakfast at 7:30am – skiing/snowboarding till 4pm – shops/sauna/outdoor pool/etc till 7pm – drinking till you forget how to get to your room" can find this hotel the best place to stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Killington hotels

New Hampshire
Reviewed January 14, 2010

Location was as close to the mountain as possible without being on the mountain. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Staff were freindly. It was great having the heated pool and sauna after a big day on the hill. Close enough drive to local restaruants and plenty of free shuttles to restaraunts and bars. The restaraunt and bar at the hotel was great. Our second night we had a great night at the bar with other tourists and a great lady bartender who was a great host. Breakfast was a basic one with a waffle iron, toaster, cereal, fruit, juice and coffee, what else do you need. LIke I said well worth the $100.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Aussie_in_the_US
Bexhill on Sea England
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We were given this hotel as part of a touring packing to New England. I do not know why they booked us into this hotel as it is clearly a skiing hotel. The room was ok but very dated and not used very often so therefore was not very fresh!
The breakfast was in the bar, we were the only guests having breakfast. There were no staff around and it was just a few cereals, some dry bread and very weak coffee which was left out for us.
I think the hotel would be fine for a skiing trip but not for the autumn as everything was closed. We did find Calvin Coolidge's home village and visited his birthplace which was nice but there was nothing else to do in this area for tourists.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adnil48
London, UK
Reviewed April 16, 2009

I am surprised by the negative comments by other travellers as I did not encounter any problems or even things that weren't great. I had a great stay and I could only wish that I spent all of my time in the Mountain Inn during my stay in Vermont. I will definately know where to go for next time.

The food in the restaurant was fantastic with steak that just melts in your mouth. The owner of the restaurant also owns the local pizza/night club that has live music there regularly. That is definately worth checking out!

The obvious massive bonus is the proximity of the hotel to the slopes. Not only is it walkable but it has a regular ski bus not only to the slopes but also a people carrier on call to the local entertainment venues in the other direction. All at no extra cost! The hotel staff were very helpful in organising a fun night out, advising on the best places to go and making sure that we had transport.

The outdoor pool was exactly what the doctor ordered with chance to relax sitting by the jacuzzi jets to relax. It has a lovely view of the mountains and some days the sun didn't go down until 7:30pm so you got to look out at the mountains with sun shinning down!

The rooms themselves were very comfortable and homely with lovely hot showers and a nice bath to help my ski legs recover! There were a far cry away from the generic business hotels with no character that I have now grown to dislike! On a practical note there were more than ample electric sockets-a common problem I have found in American hotels on recent visits.

I would say that the friendliness of the staff made my stay. The manager went out of his way to ensure that we had a great time and always had a smile on his face. Something I think is very important in customer service. This I did not receive in other hotels in Vermont or New York!

If you want a characterless, generical, sterile, unfriendly hotel then this is not for you. For all of you travellers who want to experience rustic Vermont and true American honest kindness and hospitality then I would definately recommend this hotel to you!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Mr_Tim_Londinium
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We stayed in the three bed suite in early March, and found the room comfortable and spacious. At $50.00 per person per night I didn' t expect much but came to realize we found a great deal . The location was a stone's throw from the base of Killington! We even had a mountain view from our room. Breakfast was okay to get you started and considered a bonus. The outdoor heated pool and indoor sauna were great after a hard day of skiing. The on site restaurant "Sante Fe" had okay food. My only complaint was the lack of service at the bar and restaurant. The bar tender ignored us by standing at the end of the bar talking to fellow restaurant staff. We found out the restaurant is a seperate entity from the inn, too bad probably have better service if it was run as one unit! Overall would stay here again, just say adios! to "Sante Fe"

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank ski2xsnow
Jamesville, NY
Reviewed March 22, 2009

I so badly wanted to be able to give The Mountain Inn a good review. On paper, the place sounded great: sauna, gameroom, on site steakhouse, expanded continental breakfast, heated outdoor pool, 300 yeards to Killington's main lift ( Snowshed). In person, all the amenities couldn't make up for other things that were lacking.

I booked the room the morning of our stay, hoping for a last minute deal. I found one on Expedia.com for $112/night if staying 2 nights or more. Killington Central Reservations quoted me $217/night for the same room. The Mountain Inn quoted me $124/night. All quotes excluded the 10% tax and 15% resort fee. I went with the Expedia booking. When I asked the gentleman at Killington reservations if any properties were offering last minute specials at similar prices to the deal I found on Expedia, he said "Not as nice as The Mountain Inn". Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

We stayed in room 208, a deluxe double that included a DVD player and fridge. I can't say the Inn was dirty, but it didn't feel clean either. The rooms area very small. Two double beds, a nightstand, a small entertainment armoire with small tv, and a small table with two chairs. There wasn't a closet, but there was a hanging rod and shelf with a luggage stand.

The bathroom consisted of a tub/shower combo and a toilet. The sink was outside the bathroom in the main part of the room.

The hotel is very warm, especially in the hallways. The rooms have individual heat controls (no a/c). We kept our heat off and the room was still a bit on the warm side.

The hotel lacks soundproofing. We could hear creaking of the floors above us and activity and conversations in the hallway throughout our stay. When you were in the hallway, you could hear everything from inside the rooms as you passed by. The hallways were narrow. There was no entranceway into the rooms, you stepped inside the door and you were next to the bed.

The sauna was in the basement of the hotel. We did not use it, nor did we see others using it during our stay. The gameroom is also in the basement (lower level). The carpet was torn and dirty and there was a dirty loveseat.

The expanded continental breakfast consisted of yogurt, hadr boiled eggs, donuts, muffins, bagels, toast, danish, english muffins, oatmeal packets, 2 kinds of cold cereal, orange wedges, orange and cranberry juices, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, waffles and a variety of spreads and condiments. The variety was good, the food was of low quality.

There was a common area that consisted of a lounge with large tv, fireplace, couches, tables, etc on the 3rd floor. We didn't use this area. There was also a bar area with flat screen tv and pool table. To get to the heated outdoor pool, you had to walk through the bar and pool table area. We didn't use the pool.

I just couldn't get comfortable here. The decor and furnishings were very dated. It did not have a cozy feel at all. The bedding was basic - sheets and a velux blanket with bedspread. Not much room for a family to spread out.

For the price we paid, it was a fair value. You can't beat the proximity (300 yards) to Killington's main lift, Snowshed. We probably could have left our car at the hotel and walked to the lifts. There are only a few other hotels that are closer to the main lift area.

I made the mistake of checking out the Killington Grand Hotel during my visit. The place is gorgeous. And much more expensive, rightly so.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family