“Could be better, could be worse”

Mountain Sports Inn
Ranked #4 of 14 Killington B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Could be better, could be worse”
Reviewed March 11, 2008

When my husband and I were looking for a place to ski & stay we wanted something a bit rustic yet comfortable. This pretty much fit the bill. The rooms are plain but clean. Our room had a beautiful view out to the woods. I am not a super clean freak, but after reading some of the reviews I decided to bring my own comfortor and pillows and I am very glad I did. The beds are super uncomfortable, and we used extra bedding to put under the mattress saver because otherwise I could feel the bed springs!! ah!!
The breakfast is very good. (O, one small note....if you have any sort of emergency after 7:00 PM, there is absolutely no service until morning....like a runny toilet for example) There isn't a fridge but I brought a cooler and kept it out in the car...all my food stayed cold. Also, if you aren't sure if you should take the trip in your SUV or smaller car to save gas, choose the SUV because everything is iced here!

• Liked — The Sauna and breakfast
  • Disliked — The bed!!! TERRIBLE!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Miami, FL
Reviewed January 25, 2008

I stayed at the Mountain Sports Inn this past weekend with a few of my friends for a "girls ski getaway". We booked through the Killington visitors site and got a package deal with ski lessons, etc. Overall, the stay was pleasant. The rooms, as others have mentioned, are very simple rooms, a little outdated we thought, but cozy enough. At night, it got a little cold even with the heater going. The bathroom was big enough for 3 to use and the shower had pretty good pressure, although the water temp. tended to get lukewarm by the end on occasion.

The staff was very friendly and always welcoming. We enjoyed the morning breakfast in which the staff actually made to order breakfast of your choice from the menu. Location was convenient -just down the road from the restaurants, bars, and slopes.

One thing to mention is that "The Bus" that is supposed to be a free shuttle up and down Killington Road does NOT pick up at the Inn and we would have to walk next door to the Comfort Inn to pick it up. Not that things are far, but we hadn't planned on driving everywhere.

Overall, if you are looking for a clean, welcoming, cozy place to stay the Mountain Sports Inn is a good value.

• Liked — It made me feel at home and the staff was welcoming.
  • Disliked — Not as modern as we first hoped-no shuttle service to the inn.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
Encinitas, California
Reviewed December 15, 2007

I stayed here Dec 8, 2007 for one night. The room is pretty basic with a double bed, tv, coffee table and stand up shower. The bathroom was clean, but the shower was lukewarm. The walls are INCREDIBLY THIN. I could hear people next door having a conversation and all night long people trudging up and down the stairs. A friend of mine in another room plugged in her hair dryer and blew the circuit for the whole entire room. There is only a radiator in the room that you can't control the thermostat--it was a little cold even though we added extra blankets. I'm not a light sleeper, but had a difficult time getting a good nights sleep with all the noise and people up at wee hours to get out to the slopes. Breakfast was pretty good with bagels, danishes cereal and coffee. For $80 bucks a night it wasn't too bad, but I'd rather stay farther away in rutland for a better nights sleep. 9 mile drive is totally worth the extra wink eye.

• Liked — Location to slopes
  • Disliked — Thin walls, cold room
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skyjenny
PA
Reviewed March 14, 2007

Four of us stayed here in early March 2007. If you are new to Killington, don't get confused by the assortment of lodging options that contain both the words "mountain" and "inn."

I had a good overall experience staying here. The rooms are basic, but clean. I took a couple pics of the bathroom (see attached). Four of us shared a room, and we had enough space for all our stuff (luggage, ski clothes, etc). My only real complaint are the thin walls...I woke up a couple times to the voice of people walking down the hallway (or maybe it was the next room?). A minor point was that the t.v. seemed very old (but who goes to VT to watch t.v.!). Even with those negatives, I'd still stay here again. The staff are very friendly, the lobby is nice (big couches, a fireplace, big screen...very cozy), the hottub is nice and well kept. They serve breakfast and it is good. They have some continental breakfast stuff and are also happy to make you french toast, pancakes, eggs, or bacon (or any combination thereof). Good coffee and orange juice. The view is nice at breakfast...you can see the woods behind the Inn and they have a bird/squirel feeder. Very pretty in VT!

They have a nice sized storage room to store your skis/board/whatever. We left our luggage in there on our last day so we could hit the slopes again after checking out. And yes this place is located near the slopes. The shuttle will pick you up at the Comfort Inn next door, or you could always drive to the slopes.

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank NthanNewJersey
New York
Reviewed November 30, 2006

The Mountain Sports Inn Staff makes you feel like you are at home at all times. I have stayed there a number of times and always have received great service. Now you need to know there is a newly added portion of the hotel along with the older portion. I have stayed in both and encountered no problems. The room, sana, and hot tub where kept very clean and the owner is almost always on the premisses making sure that you are happy. At night is has been quit and free of any loud noise. The Breakfast in the morning is very well done. If you want to relax out of your room the rec room is newly renovated with a big screen TV with a DVD player with your choice of DVDs or bring your own along with cable TV. They also have board games, in this area. I have never felt more comfortable in a hotel setting then the Mountain Sports Inn.

Neg...
I think the workout area should be updated.
Everything else is perfect!!!

JMB

• Liked — The Owner is always on location and would do anything to make your stay a great one!!!
  • Disliked — The workout area needs to be updated.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gtlover98
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 10, 2006

After a night here my girlfriend and I thought this place should be called "The Musty Sports Inn." The room smelled like a combination of feet and sweat-laden long underwear. The couch (futon) was so soiled that we chose to sit on the coffee tables rather than subject ourselves to possible infection. We were quite surprised to learn that the room didn't include ammenities such as a flushable toilet or a sink that drained. The advertised sauna was inoperative and the "gym" consisted of couple of rusty old pieces of equiptment. On a good note the breakfast was hot hearty and fast and the waitstaff was really nice. Overall, the place was unsanitary, inoperative, and overpriced. I would have preferred to wake up at 4AM and drive to the mountain than spend a night in a place that reminds me of someone's dirty laundry basket.

• Stayed January 2006
24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NJ
Reviewed February 10, 2006

Stayed here with friends for a two-night getaway. The room was basic but clean. The bedspread was a bit dated and the bed not the most comfortable, but it was certainly adequate for our needs. Be aware that the walls *are* on the thin side. Though I'm generally not a light sleeper, the radiator was rather noisy at times and it did wake me up during the night. On the plus side, the complimentary breakfast in the morning was pretty good--you had a choice of French toast, pancakes, or an omelette with bacon, sausage, and eggs, regular toast, cereal,coffee/tea/juice. As someone else mentioned, the location is convenient. It's just a short trip to the slopes or favorite hangs like the Wobbly Barn. Overall, if you're looking for a clean place and don't need a whole lot of frills, this is a good pick.

• Stayed January 2006
6 Thank SommerWind
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killington
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
#2 of 13 in Killington
Greenbrier Inn
Greenbrier Inn
#7 of 14 in Killington

Been to Mountain Sports Inn? Share your experiences!