“Ski trip”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Killington
Fort Lee, New Jersey
“Ski trip”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stay at the Val Roc Motel for all my trips to Killington. It's clean, quiet, has a refrigerator and Microwave and is very spacious. I feel very comfortable and it's my home away from home.
The hotel is reasonably priced for the location and spacious rooms.
I think it's a great place for skiing since it's close to bear as well as visiting in the summer

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My Wife and I drove two hours to Killington on short notice in the middle of
Christmas crowds. We were most pleased to find Val Roc Motel with a reasonable
rate at Peak time. $152 night with taxes etc.

We did not have to fight the crowds on the access road.

The skyship base is only 1/4 mile away and day two we drove to the base of Bear Mountain
which is about 5 minutes. No traffic tie ups and close up parking was a good benefit to us by staying at Val Roc.. Got in some decent skiing considering the mountain had 6 days of rain last week. Dined at nearby restaurants, Back Behind Saloon and Corners Inn.

The room was basic but clean, all we needed to ski and eat out. The Hot tub was a good
bonus. Queen Bed was comfortable and we had two good nights sleep. Would stay there
again and plan to do so later this 2014 ski season.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My family stayed at the Val Roc Motel for a ski trip last week. We were traveling with friends who have called Val Roc their Killington "home" for many years. We had seen Trip Advisor comments before heading up but we trusted our friends' judgment.

The room had plenty of space for our family of 4 and all of our gear. We found the room was clean and well equipped. There is a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. The outdoor Hot Tub was a blast, but I couldn't get the kids out of it to go to dinner. It takes about a minute to get to the skyeship gondola from Val Roc, and 20-30 minutes to Okemo Mountain. We will stay here again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kathleenbyh
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I am amazed that this place is in business. It is a total dump. The room was filthy! The shower walls had mildew as well as the shower curtain. The bathtub was dirty. The toilet leaked. There were cobwebs on the ceiling. The carpet looked like it hadn't seen a vacuum all summer. There was a terrible smell in the room. The heated pool was dirty and not heated. I should have had a clue that it was not a well maintained hotel when I noticed that the sign out front was held together with tie downs. Had I not driven for 12 hours prior to my arrival I would have looked for someplace else to stay. I only needed the room as a place to sleep before heading out the next day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Q G

Travelers are raving about these Killington hotels

Connecticut
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is a 50's vintage roadside motel that has been maintained, and kept clean, as cheaply as possible. 5 stars if you are looking to stay as close to the Starship as cheaply as possible. Compared to the Holiday Inn, maybe 1 or 2 stars. But, the room is huge and has a couch, chairs, refrigerator, microwave, and a coffee pot. I suspect the couch is a pull out but I didn't check. You could probably sleep 4 without a problem. There is a Jacuzzi but I didn't check it out either.
I am not sure about Can't Stop Trav.... Really! What do you do with the wallpaper? I tried to think of something kinky but gave up. The place smelled fine to me. Maybe his nose is more sensitive. I paid $100.00 plus $25 bucks to the local govt. You can stay at the Turn of the River for about the same but anything on the access road is twice as much.
The Val Roc is best for a family or group that loves to ski but doesn't have a lot of money. The only disadvantage that I could see is that you have to go to the access road for food and entertainment
Bottom line you will sleep comfortably but you won't impress anybody. I checked inexpensive but that is only in comparison to everything else around there

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank rjr4945
New York City
Reviewed February 5, 2013

...sometimes you just need to call a spade a spade.

We booked the Val Roc through Killington's "Snowblind" deal. Despite reading the TripAdvisor reviews, I felt like I wanted to give the place the benefit of the doubt because we'd be staying here regardless.

So while hoping for the best, we pulled into the parking lot and were pleasantly surprised with the first impression. It seemed like the exterior had gotten a fresh coat of paint and it had just snowed a bit so everything had a fresh sprinkling of snow.

As a group of 5 + our dog, we stayed in Room #12 (1 double, 1 single, 1 queen bed). Based on another review, we brought along an air mattress to sleep on. It's a basic economy room with mini fridge, microwave and small coffee machine. The rooms were drafty and so we cranked up the heat and shoved some towels under the door and served as a quick solution. Showers were sufficient with plenty of hot water, albeit very low water pressure. Everything was in working order and from a perfectly sufficient for a budget weekend. And at this point, I felt like we were getting what we paid for and I was prepared to write up a good review for the motel.

What made everything that was decent up until this point go completely down the drain happened from this point forward. As we were all getting ready to sleep, EVERY one of us couldn't stop sneezing. I can't pinpoint exactly what it was but most likely there were dust on the blankets or something and we shook everything up once we started getting into the beds. I have asthma which always gets triggered in very dusty environments and needed to use my inhaler in order for prevent my chest from closing up. Luckily I bring my humidifier whenever I travel and so I had it pointed directly at myself to help ease the discomfort. At this point we tried to called Killington Central Reservations but because of the late hour, we couldn't reach anyone. We decided to tough it out and eventually fell asleep.

The next morning we had an very basic breakfast that consisted of bagels and coffee. When we explained our issue with my asthma and the general discomfort caused by sneezing from our entire party, the owners agreed they'd change out the blankets for us.

After a day of skiing, we returned to our rooms with our beds haphazardly made. Seriously? They just kind of slapped another blanket on top and the bottom of the sheets were just hanging onto the floor. Clean towels were folded but thrown onto the sink like they tossed it onto the vanity and called it a day.

Since we were checking out the next morning, we decided to just suck it up and stay here one more night. With a bunch of sneezing and another puff of my inhaler, we had another night of fitful sleep. The next morning, we packed up quick and got out fast.

I've stayed at plenty of budget motels before but this place might just take the cake. I wanted to give a fair review for this place but I can honestly vow to myself that we would never stay at this establishment again. I'd recommend other travelers to stay elsewhere. There are plenty of budget-friendly motels that provide better sanitary options.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Carrie T
Boston
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We spent Thanksgiving weekend at the Valroc motel. We were concerned about what to expect after seeing comments on trip advisor. Our room was clean, comfortable and had a refrigerator and microwave(perfect for the leftover turkey we brought along) The location is great, close to the ski lifts and 20 minutes to Woodstock. Woodstock is a picture post card village and we got some early Christmas shopping done. The price was reasonable and we were allowed to bring our dog. The outdoor hot tub was a treat. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple