“Great location, comfortable and excellent - but a little pricey”

Killington Grand Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Killington
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Whilst this hotel is not in the same bracket as some of the luxurious ones in other resorts, it is comfortable and clean with spacious rooms and excellent service. The location is handy for the slopes and the pool is not spectacular, but at least there is one and it is a nice place to relax with good views.
Dined in the restaurant one night and food was wonderful with a strong wine selection.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 1, 2009

The hotel claims to be 4 star. This must be based purely on its location and facilities like the smelly changing rooms in the spa facility. The hotel is poorly built so noise comes at you from all directions. Not noisey residents just a noisey hotel. Foot clomping from hallway rooms above and either side.
The rooms are clean the TV is good but everything else about the rooms is pretty average. I can think of much better accommodation for less money in other resorts.
And just to add to things over every weekend a whole ton of people roll up from New York and New Jersey and are some of the rudest most arrogant people I have ever had to share a hotel with.
My advise if your going from the UK to ski in the states stick to the West Coast!!!!
Kilingtons worth a visit if your out that way for other reasons but its a 3 day resort at best if your average/advanced at skiing/boarding.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GC_Swisstoni
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Having read some of the reviews for this hotel I was a little concerned as to what we would experience when we arrived. The location is ideal, Why on earth people have complained about a 50 yard walk to the slopes I have no idea. The rooms are spotless, the staff are friendly and the service is good. The only slight beef I have is the noise of people mainly children running up and down the corridors and in the rooms above relatively early in the morning, but that isn't a hotel problem that's a parental issue. The bar food is good although as yet we haven't eaten in the restaurant. The pool always seems busy and the spa and gym look pretty good.
Overall we have been happy with the Killington Grand, we have been in a lot worse whilst skiing in Europe and we would come to Killington and the Grand again. Don't be put off by the somewhat picky reviews, this hotel is good.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank cooie
Reviewed February 15, 2009

I hope this review doesn't come off as an angry, irrational, exaggerated rant against this resort. I merely intend to give all potential guests an objective, truthful representation of this place, since they clearly have no qualms about their own misrepresentations in advertising themselves to the public. First, the smell of the rooms is nauseating. I kid you not, it is a noxious blend of mildew and feces steamed together in dog urine. This is not hyperbole. I am trying to conjure up words that most accurately describe the smell of these fetid rooms. Next, the walls might as well be made of tissue paper. Every sound made in adjacent rooms and in the hall can be heard in your own room. And again, this is not hyperbole. When I say "every," I mean EVERY. I woke up to someone coughing in the middle of the night in another room. I heard people walking in their rooms above mine. I heard the gentle chatter of passing people in the hallway. I heard the telephone ring in yet another room next to mine. It was ridiculous. Another issue, albeit comparatively petty, the water pressure was a mere sprinkle in the shower. Being on vacation should be about getting pampered and feeling comfortable. Having a relaxing, hot shower after a cold day on the slopes is something that one should look forward to on a ski trip. However, it is a grueling struggle to cleanse oneself in the drizzle that the Killington Grand Resort shower heads leak out. Finally, the restaurant, Ovations, is an atrocious culinary failure (I have to admit, when it comes food, I am a bit of a NYC snob. Dining well is a critical part of my life, so for those with less scrutinizing palates feel free to take this part of my review with a grain of salt). The waitstaff is largely incompetent. The chef and cooks create edible (barely), but uninspired, and inconsistently cooked food. The decor is on par with my grandmother's living room. Now I would not have as much of a problem with this place if prices reflected the quality as I place great importance on value, but entrees can exceed 30 dollars and given the quality, that is borderline criminal. I have other things to complain about, but they are somewhat trivial and I am getting tired of my own whining in writing this review. I guess the Killington Grand Resort just bring out the worst in me, but take my word for it, and stay away from this disaster of a self-proclaimed "Premier" hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
10  Thank chiway83
Reviewed January 23, 2009

I stayed for a week with my husband and two teenagers over Christmas. I had previously read mixed reviews and so we were not expecting too much.
I chose this hotel because of its location which can't be faulted - well it could be closer!!! I agree with a previous review it was exhausting walking over the bridge to your room dressed like a Michelin man with heavy boots on and skis!!!
Anyway, the rooms were Ok, relatively clean, spacious and well equipped. The only problem we had, which wasn't major and didn't mention it was the fact that for three nights it smelt strongly of garlic, but we discovered that we were above the kitchens on level 1.
The reception staff are almost useless. They were not very forthcoming with any of the answers to the questions we asked, for example is the hotel having a special Christmas day menu or the correct times of the shuttle buses. At one point I did mention to them that the bridge by which you gain access to the slopes was quite dangerous and could it be cleared as it was only a matter of time before someone slipped and did themselves a serious injury, but nothing was done if the message was passed on at all. This hotel obviously relies upon its prime location and obviously feels that customer service is not that important.
The outside pool was lovely and very welcome at the end of the day.
We did catch the free bus to a couple of restaurants but we thought that the food was overpriced and not that great and certainly not worth getting all dressed up to go out into the cold. for We ate on several occasions in the bar. The food was great without being too heavy and the bar staff were very helpful and pleasant. We did have breakfast at the hotel one morning which wasn't particularly nice, so didn't go back again.
My husband particularly enjoyed going to the Irish bar and meeting new people and having the 'crack' We both met some lovely people which certainly made our stay more enjoyable.
There is a computer in the lobby which is free which is always useful and pleased the kids as they were able to keep in touch with their friends over the Christmas holiday.
All in all, we would return to this hotel again only because of its location but it certainly is not as luxurious as you might expect.

1  Thank Bubbles26
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Our family chose the Killington “Grand” Resort on the premise that it was the most luxurious and closest resort to the mountain. While the latter is true, it is only a short bridge walk from Snowshed lodge (although, some would argue that with bulky ski equipment this walk can be somewhat tedious,) it would be a stretch calling this resort, equivalent to a high priced Red Roof Inn, luxurious. There is absolutely nothing “grand” about the “Grand.”
The Staff -Unequivocally, the least helpful I’ve encountered in a hotel at this price point. They are completely unaccommodating and not the least bit interested in customer service. Case in point, while we were checking in, I asked the clerk what time I could purchase lift tickets… “I dunno, it’s easier to just go over there in the morning”. This was her answer to most of my questions. How much are ski rentals?… “I dunno”. What time does the restaurant close?…”I dunno.” Then she proceeded to pick up a call and leave us standing there for, I kid you not, 15 minutes, with luggage and all, while she fumbled through some other guest’s inquiries.
The Room- When you fork over $350 a night for a one bedroom, it shouldn’t be a stretch to expect certain amenities right? WRONG! Clean sheets? Nope. Enough towels for everyone? Not quite. Musty (like dirty socks) odor that almost makes you vomit upon opening the door? CHECK! Yes, it’s true; we were greeted by a fetid odor that almost made us faint once we opened the door. And, it looked like they hadn’t updated the furniture since 1979. I had the unduly distinction of sleeping on the sofa bed, the most uncomfortable I’ve ever slept on in my life (not an exaggeration!)
Breakfast- Adequate. Buffet consisting of eggs, bacon, sausage, and biscuits every day. Be forewarned, if you are on any kind of a time crunch, there can be a delay to get it. The Gestapo lady at the front checks your credentials with a fine tooth comb. For us, it seemed like she scanned through a list of every guest that had ever stayed at the resort before she gave us the OK, and told us to wait to be seated. Then, we waited twenty minutes before we were seated, even though half the restaurant was apparently empty.
The Pool- By far, the best perk of the hotel. It was certainly a treat to take a dip in the heated, scenic pool after a long day skiing.
Overall, as if you had not already noted, we had a miserable time at the Killington “Grand” Resort. (I use quotes because calling this place Grand is such a joke.) This hotel is completely over priced for what you get. Sure, the location is convenient to the main lodge, but at the end of the day, is not worth the extra fee. Heed my warning! If I can convince at least one family not to stay here I will sleep better. Save your money, stay at the couple other hotels that are just a few hops away.
Use the Snowshed lockers! – For only $15 dollars a day you can rent a huge 5 foot X 3 foot locker in Snowshed that you can store at least three pairs of skis.

6  Thank AlexRen
Reviewed December 22, 2008

I just got back from a 3 day stay at the Grand hotel. We stayed in a one bedroom suite. The following are my pros and cons;

Pros -
Skiing was great. It snowed from the moment we got there to the day we left but the hotel cannot take credit for good old mother nature.
Staff was nice.
Of all the hotels in the area it is the closest to the mountain but i have issue with that (see Cons).
Hotel pool/hot tub/health club was nice.
Arcade was fun for the kids as well the ping pong table.

Cons -
The main bedroom was located downstairs and I mean DOWN stairs - it looked like an escalator staircase. It was very annoying to have to go up and down the stairs with a heavy suitcase and everytime you needed something from your bedroom area.
Room was adequately clean, however, we found dirty tissues in the night table and dirty sheets in the pullout couch for our kids.
Living area was very small.
TV's were small and periodically didn't work.
It was slopeslide but a long way to the mountain, having to cross a bridge like others had mentioned with all of our gear.
Breakfast in the hotel was not too wonderful (hard bagels, bad french toast).
One other thing that previous reviewers had mentioned - the walls are PAPER thin. My daughter and I couldn't get back to sleep in the middle of the night because of hallway sounds and noise from the outside.

One other thing i feel i must mention which is not related to the hotel but rather one of the restaurants - namely Casey's Caboose. DO NOT under any circumstances eat there unless under duress. The food is beyond inedible. It was right out of the show Kitchen Nightmares.

1  Thank Baratone28
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killington
Cascades Lodge Killington
#4 of 13 in Killington
Summit Lodge & Resort
Summit Lodge & Resort
#2 of 13 in Killington

Been to Killington Grand Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!